Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-22-2010, 07:47 PM

4,465 posts, read 8,008,422 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chromekitty View Post
In times like this, there is nothing positive in pounding others.
You never know what someone is going through, and the flip side is
if this was you, wouldn't you want some kindness.

For us, a few years ago to cut costs we cut the cable. Well it was direct tv....and it was the best choice we made. Our internet was through the phone company, and you can have stand alone DSL via AT&T/Bellsouth with no problems. It's just a thought to cut expenses.
Up here we have a choice between Charter.............. and well, Charter for internet.

Yeah, 100% concurrence with ya. Kindness is crucial- plus the knowledge that you are anything but alone if you have financial problems these days.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2010, 08:51 PM

20 posts, read 64,120 times
I'm sure that you are not the only one struggling today and many of us have been in your position at one time or another. Are you strong enough for a challenge? Perhaps suggest to your husband that the two of you take on the challenge to try and live as inexpensively as possible. I mean accept this as a challenge, make it a goal. Live to live cheaply. Go ahead and blog about your accomplishments, from the library computers. I'd bet you'd be shocked with what you can live without and how much you can accomplish. Did you know that with the new digital tv's and an intenna, you can pick up many, many free stations. Buy the TV at Wal-Mart and cancel your cable. Sell the car and buy a motorcycle, or bike. Do NOT be afraid to ask for assistance. You can do this, you can make it.

Old 07-23-2010, 02:38 AM

9 posts, read 20,808 times
cape_fisherman might have been a little blunt, but he is exactly right

It sounds like your husband is the main problem. Whether it be depression or laziness, he needs to get help and at least TRY to find a job. There is no excuse for him sitting on the couch all day while you are out working to support the both of you.

Old 07-23-2010, 06:19 AM

764 posts, read 1,599,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cape_fisherman View Post
You only have one problem. Your husband is lazy and does not love his family.

Depression has nothing to do with it.

Tell him to get off his rear, get out there, and help YOU with this situation.

You will never get to the place you want to be alone...at least not with that extra mouth to feed.

Sorry for the very blunt post, but there are jobs for your husband to have. Do not be fooled into thinking there is not. Craigslist is loaded with them.
Nothing wrong with the truth...somebody had to say it.

Now back to the post from SummerSweat....

Help yourself first before you do anything next....cable is available for free at the library.

Take on a part time job and do whatever it takes to get yourself out of your situation.

Recommend you listen to Dave Ramsey on 94.3 FM 6:00 pm - you'll do a lot better than posting a 'woe is me' post on the Internet.

What exactly are you trying to accomplish?

Old 07-23-2010, 06:27 AM

3,145 posts, read 5,966,941 times
I can understand some of the responses to my post. It was very blunt and in no way politically correct.

If you're in as deep a mess as you make it out to be, then yes I would cancel the cable...all of it. No TV, no internet. I bed if there's no entertainment in the house, your husband would get motivated...maybe, maybe not.

You can use all the numbers you want to say how many more people there are for the number of available jobs...but at the end of the day THERE ARE AVAILABLE JOBS. Giving up simply because the job market isn't as large as YOU like it is the "woe is me" mindset.

If you don't want to use Craigslist, that's ok...but don't use that as yet another excuse to not look for a job. There are other resources out there.

Old 07-23-2010, 06:30 AM

3,145 posts, read 5,966,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flat2MT View Post
Nothing wrong with the truth...somebody had to say it.

Now back to the post from SummerSweat....

Help yourself first before you do anything next....cable is available for free at the library.

Take on a part time job and do whatever it takes to get yourself out of your situation.

Recommend you listen to Dave Ramsey on 94.3 FM 6:00 pm - you'll do a lot better than posting a 'woe is me' post on the Internet.

What exactly are you trying to accomplish?

Wow, are we on the same wavelength or what? LOL

Dave Ramsey was also on my mind. I bet if you place a call in to his show you will get much the same response I gave.

Old 07-23-2010, 06:36 AM

77 posts, read 202,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chromekitty View Post
Also, don't cancel your internet......that is a means to job hunt.
If you are cutting expenses then cut the cable off, you would
be surprised how that alone can and will change your outlook !!!!!
the library is a whole lot cheaper than monthly internet payments!

Old 07-23-2010, 07:08 AM

120 posts, read 256,435 times
I was job searching a few months back - I am a professional with a solid resume & found it very hard to even get a call back when I was submitting my resume directly to jobs either finding them in the paper or on the internet. The best approach is to use a recruiter or a staffing company. There are many of them out there either in specialty areas or in broad areas. The fact is that so many people are looking for jobs employers are overwhelmed with the amount of resumes they get on a daily basis so they are depending more on these companies to go through the applicants for them to find qualified people. Have your husband sign up for several of them as well as looking on his own. I did speak with my recruiter about a week ago & he said the jobs are starting to pick up out there.

Old 07-23-2010, 07:39 AM

7,934 posts, read 17,348,498 times
29483, SC Jobs on CareerBuilder.com

Here is just a quick search on careerbuilder, it has over 1200 postings within 25 miles all posted within the last 30 days.....

Old 07-23-2010, 08:16 AM

4,465 posts, read 8,008,422 times
It's amazing how people still use self-serving sites like Monster, etc as proof that jobs which aren't there are.

These type of sites were (note tense of verb) used by places like CNBC, etc- corporate news outlets that had a vested interest in keeping up the charade of a healthy job market while Dubya was at the helm.
Problem was (for the networks) that every time the for-profit job sites said their data would show unemployment was going down, it would go up.

It got to the point to where even among CNBC's "Business Roundtable" only guys like Kudlow would still point to the bogus data, and even on pro-corporate CNBC, he'd be dismissed by guys like Liesman and Shields.

When you can't even put up enough of a show to convince the allready faithfull that your snake oil is the cure, well, then you're bound for 3:00 AM infomercial territory
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area