Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-23-2010, 08:52 AM

8,237 posts, read 13,532,195 times

Advertisements

What is amazing to me is that people here are being so critical as though this person is the only one
in this predicament and that is so far from the truth it is sickening.

I am willing to bet that those that toss about number of jobs posted, have not been
in the hunt lately. If so they would learn in fact that over half are bogus ads (phishing ads) or the jobs don't exist, HR and recruiters are testing the waters. It is done everyday.....don't believe me, do some research, you will quickly see the truth. And let us not forget that if you have over 1000 applicants for one position your odds aren't too good there. That is basic math.

So, back to the OP...keep your chin up and work through this with your hubby.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2010, 09:05 AM

7,934 posts, read 17,348,498 times
I am always in the hunt looking for the next advance the next challenge, I keep on top of the jobs listed that are in my field, I have not seen any of those that are bogus. I have not checked all 1200 job postings in the area but that is just me being lazy I guess......

Careerbuilder is a respectable sight, unlike Craig's List, which is know to be full of scams....

Old 07-23-2010, 04:28 PM

42 posts, read 61,329 times
Maybe you can take your mind off of things and help me with advice! I am a single mom in a small town in cali, and it is so hard every day to live here ! there is nothing! I want to move so bad! I just cant wait! I love it out there! even though it has been awhile, since I have been out there. I just feel so lost sometimes, on what to do, and what is best for myself and son. I dont have a good job and there is none around me either! I dont feel as if I am living to my best ability! I would like to set a good example for my son as well!! want a roomate?

Old 07-23-2010, 07:23 PM

2,501 posts, read 7,772,839 times
Please, please, please be careful about who you live with. It is not wise or safe to ask complete strangers to be your roomate, especially when you have a young son living with you. Don't you have family or friends you can ask for help?
Just think about what's best for your son - #1 being his safety. Moving from CA to SC without a job or a place to live is not a good idea. Children need security and stability - not to be moved into some stranger's home where God knows what could happen to him.
Get the help of friends, family, a church, or another agency who can help you get a better job and safe, affordable housing. Good luck to you and your son....and God Bless.

Old 07-23-2010, 07:52 PM

1,145 posts, read 2,877,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCBeaches View Post
Please, please, please be careful about who you live with. It is not wise or safe to ask complete strangers to be your roomate, especially when you have a young son living with you. Don't you have family or friends you can ask for help?
Just think about what's best for your son - #1 being his safety. Moving from CA to SC without a job or a place to live is not a good idea. Children need security and stability - not to be moved into some stranger's home where God knows what could happen to him.
Get the help of friends, family, a church, or another agency who can help you get a better job and safe, affordable housing. Good luck to you and your son....and God Bless.
Yes! Absolutely. Pedophiles are predators and frequently use the internet as a source to find prey.

Old 07-23-2010, 09:09 PM

9,101 posts, read 16,476,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chromekitty View Post
Also, don't cancel your internet......that is a means to job hunt.
If you are cutting expenses then cut the cable off, you would
be surprised how that alone can and will change your outlook !!!!!
FYI ChromeKitty and for anyone out there who hasn't been to one of these in a while :There are places called
L I B R A R I E S that have F R E E internet service. There is no need for anyone to HAVE to pay for internet for job hunting reasons.

They even have people there who might have some constructive ideas of how to help your husband find a job.

Has your husband EVER had a decent job for more than six months or have you always let him take advantage of you? What you might want to do is after you cancel your internet, both you and your husband spend your waking moments looking through EVERY possible job opportunity there is out there for both of you and don't stop untiol you've researched EVERY ONE. It is called :leaving no stone unturned.

He'll feel better if he starts to do something constructive. It is a MOMENTUM thing. Once you get going doing the task you are prorasctinating doing it is easier to keep on doing it. All you need is a push to get started.

If it sounds like too much work finding a J O B, start your own business. Look at what Paula Deen came from. She was down and out and to make ends meet and started making sandwiches from home for people in the neighborhoo. Her sons helped her pick up orders and make the deliveries. You and your husband could together start a business. If cooking isn't your thing or your aren't a gifted gourmet, there are always cleaning services, auto detailing, dog walking, pet sitting, landscaping or even just plant watering / $10-$20 to make fliers and post them around town and stuff them in people's mailboxes. Then just wait for the phone calls and do a good job for the customer (as you'd want done for you).

Last edited by emilybh; 07-23-2010 at 09:27 PM..

Old 07-23-2010, 10:31 PM

8,237 posts, read 13,532,195 times
Yes Emily, I am aware of the libraries having internet. LOL!

Old 07-24-2010, 07:44 AM

662 posts, read 1,412,652 times
I would recommend you call on a church for council, support and help with food. God Bless you and I wish you well.

Old 07-24-2010, 09:15 AM

4,465 posts, read 8,008,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kena ceccon View Post
Maybe you can take your mind off of things and help me with advice! I am a single mom in a small town in cali, and it is so hard every day to live here ! there is nothing! I want to move so bad! I just cant wait! I love it out there! even though it has been awhile, since I have been out there. I just feel so lost sometimes, on what to do, and what is best for myself and son. I dont have a good job and there is none around me either! I dont feel as if I am living to my best ability! I would like to set a good example for my son as well!! want a roomate?

South Carolina is a state with a high unemployment rate, and overall low standard of living. And unlike many states, if you do lose a job there, they would much rather you just leave rather than to invest in job re-training programs in any meaningful way.

Moving is a very American way to solve social problems; it's a sign that we are still a frontier people- only without a frontier. If you are inclined to find out more, a good read on the subject is "Restless Nation" by James Jasper.

But that's just the background.

And to show that I'm also American, desire to move in order to find greener pastures is also a central thought of mine. Which is why, despite being around 60, I still strongly consider British Columbia- a place I'm quite familiar with- as my ' reserve chute', so to speak.

I've also given this advice to both my children, just in case this country tanks for good.

But whatever you do, as others have stated, don't just blindly pullup stakes and run.
Remember another central truth, also:

"The Grass Is Always Greener Over The Septic Tank."

That was a book title from the 70's, and also very, very sound advice.

Old 07-25-2010, 03:15 AM

314 posts, read 440,569 times
To the OP, it is depressing for the situation you are in and it it one I heard not too long ago with my younger sister. I will not bore you with her and her husbands woes and the ultimate demise of their relationship but I will offer you the same advice I gave my, well, ex bother in law.

When you do not have a job, your job is to get out there and cold call, and cold visit potential places of employment. You do this for 8 hours a day if need be and re-visit places after a week or two. Now you might land a job but it just might not be what your husband wants to do but at least it is income coming into the house. Besides, he can use that job as a spring board to get a better job.

I hate hearing about lazy guys, shoot, I have 5 brothers, the youngest is sooooooooooo lazy, it took my parents to get a divorce for him to move out of the house at the tender young age of 28, lol He is still just as lazy but at least he now works at Sams club.

I will bash your situation, you do not need to hear it, you know what the reality is but it doesn't sound like your husband does. Like a previous poster said, if you pay the bills, then you DEMAND that your husband sit with you and do it also. He needs to see with his own eyes the financial situation you are in.

Also, there are programs out there that may be able to help you. Check with the city or local churches, they may even have support groups that meet and you sound like you could use that about now.

I would like to ask one more thing, when your husband is at home all day, does he clean the house? dust and vacuum? do the laundry and dishes? or do you have that job to do when you get home? If it is the later then I really feel for you, because you obviously married my younger brother. I am kidding of course but you see my point, you need to put your foot down realize that marriage does not mean the woman serves the man, and divorce is real. I say this humbly from first hand experience.

Keep your chin up, look into the churches and city for support and remember, there is no shame in saying you need help.

Michael
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area