Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-27-2012, 08:37 AM

870 posts, read 1,988,065 times

Advertisements

Yeah this town is getting crowded...that's why I want to buy a lot of land in the middle of no where. In ten years, I'll sell it for 10 times the values because someone wants to build a neighborhood on it...

The growing population doesn't concern me in the least. I am a first time homeowner having bought my first house in 2009. I am currently single but plan to get married and start having kids within the next few years (just need to find a girlfriend willing to stick around long enough). Once I start a family, I will likely move to a larger home shortly thereafter.

The growing population means I might be able to make money when I sell this one.

I do get frustrated by the constant stream of thread about moving here though. Not annoyed but it seems like every other thread asks the same questions over and over again.

Sometimes, I want to answer sarcastically and tell folks how bad this area is given their situation but sarcasm doesn't translate well online.

To answer the most common questions I see:

How is life in Charleston?
It's awesome, I can't really imagine living anywhere else.

What is the cost of living in Charleston?
More than some places and less than others

Will Charlestonians accept me even though I'm (black, hispanic, japanese, korean, muslim, dating a woman/man of another race, gay, one armed monlgolian with a god complex and a limp etc.)?

Yes. We're a friendly bunch and, for the most part, will accept anyone. I won't say discrimination doesn't happen here but it happens everywhere.

Is there stuff to do for people in their 20's?
Yes

30's?
Yes

40's?
Oh for the love of...YES!

50's?
Now you're just messing with me.

60's?
You do understand that you're contemplating a move to a place where "he needed killin'" has successfully been used as a defense in a murder trial right? (Kidding about this one-don't take it too seriously)

Are there alligators/snakes/roaches etc in Charleston?
The entire lower half of this state is essentially one big swamp, so yes.

Where should I live when I move to Charleston?
In any living space that meets your needs, desires and budget.

Where is that?
Tell us more about you and we can try to answer but getting in touch with a local realtor prior to your move may offer you better information. Several members of this community are realtors and some of the rest of us have realtors that we swear by. Just ask for a recommendation from someone.

Will I be able to find a job?
Yes but you will have to use websites besides this one.

The list kind of goes on but you guys get the idea. I think people tend to forget about the search option and just post without reading through to see if their question has already been answered or not.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2012, 10:52 AM

1,940 posts, read 3,593,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonMedic View Post
I'm sorry but lying , really people? So the example that you want to show your friends and family is that it's ok to lie till you get your way? I hate to be the bearer of bad news but if someone's mind is made up no matter what they read they will come. It's not their fault that noone saw this coming and did not want to make improvements in roads. Compared to busy metro areas this traffic is a cake walk. I enjoy looking for the snakes and gators. Maybe we should tell them that the annual snowfall is comprable to Ankorage Alaska............ but thats a lie.
Lighten up...the original poster was kidding. You honestly believe everyone would do it?

Old 04-27-2012, 01:51 PM

1,321 posts, read 2,447,997 times
Best post on this thread, TechGeek.

Old 04-27-2012, 02:48 PM

6,219 posts, read 5,944,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Techgeek View Post
The list kind of goes on but you guys get the idea. I think people tend to forget about the search option and just post without reading through to see if their question has already been answered or not.
I've been on the internet since my early Usenet days circa 1983 (I worked with Tom Truscott at Research Triangle Institute; he was one of the original creators of Usenet ... which is the granddaddy of all forums like this one). People failed back then to search for answers, you always had newbies, and old timers got tired of seeing the same questions over and over again.

And if I'm still around in 30 years, I suspect that boards/forums or whatever we use for communication then will see the same complaints about newbies from old-timers. There will always be newbies, and human communication is fallible.

Old 04-27-2012, 03:13 PM

662 posts, read 1,411,369 times
The traffic around here isn't half as bad as up north.

Old 04-27-2012, 03:37 PM

4,861 posts, read 9,311,760 times
I, too, found it disheartening to read all of the "moving to Charleston" threads, not because I live there or probably ever will, but because as an American I really value the cultural differences that make a region unique and Charleston seems to be getting more and more "Anywhere, USA" with each passing year and each loaded moving truck. Charleston's too good for what's happening to it, IMHO. But you know what? You should read some of the forums for some of the places that people seem to be flocking to Charleston from the most, and you would be pleasantly surprised at how many people moved South, figured out that a.) they couldn't make it "just like home", b.) missed their families more than they ever dreamed they would, and c.) end up hating the very things that they assumed that they would love, such as climate, proximity to tourist areas, etc. and headed right back home in short order. Seriously, I have seen several threads like this. Long Island seems to be good for that, as well as New Jersey. I live in the Upper Midwest and I know several people who moved to places like Charleston and moved home within a year or two as well. It's so easy to underestimate the pull of home when you're actually, well...at home! Sometimes it just takes moving away to realize what you have left.

Look at it this way: people love to get on internet forums like this and rave about moving to a new place, but when they are miserable and homesick, well, who wants to admit that? That's why you don't read those kind of posts here, they're over on the New York and New Jersey forums. "Can't wait to get back to that New York Pizza!"..."The South SUCKS in the summer, coming home!", etc., etc., etc.

Old 04-27-2012, 09:43 PM

21 posts, read 34,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by canudigit View Post
I, too, found it disheartening to read all of the "moving to Charleston" threads, not because I live there or probably ever will, but because as an American I really value the cultural differences that make a region unique and Charleston seems to be getting more and more "Anywhere, USA" with each passing year and each loaded moving truck. Charleston's too good for what's happening to it, IMHO.
I have read that my own native Tidewater Virginia dialect has practically disappeared. It's fortunate that I talk to myself or I would get lonely. My mother is at Virginia Beach and she says she can't understand the young people there anymore.
Quote:
I live in the Upper Midwest and I know several people who moved to places like Charleston and moved home within a year or two as well.
There was a time when thousands of Californians got tired of all the congestion and pollution and moved north to Oregon to enjoy the fresh air and the lush green open spaces. The Oregonians were not pleased. They called it Californication, which didn't seem very nice to me at the time. But before long the brave pioneers turned tail and headed back to California. It rained all the time, there was never any sunshine, and it never got warm.

Old 04-28-2012, 03:05 AM

817 posts, read 2,004,650 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Techgeek View Post

I do get frustrated by the constant stream of thread about moving here though. Not annoyed but it seems like every other thread asks the same questions over and over again.

My thought exactly... BRAVO.

1) People forget about the SEARCH option and do not simply or want to do their homework and research. I researched and researched on-line, as well as this forum all about Charleston so in depth. I am finding people simply ask, should we move there ? I get so many PM's asking me because of my posting, for comments, opinions etc. They are not doing their homework first, but rather push it onto us. Well of course our choice to reply or not. I used to reply to all PM's, then it was so repetitious.. I told people instead of PM me, write the same question in my post so others can see it and learn from it. But NO ONE takes that to heed and spends the time to write me again with the same question in my posting. Not worth their trouble, therefor not worth mine

Just posting after posting, should we live there ?

2. Great reply to this Techgeek

3. Do your homework people. As pointed out by Techgeek, most questions were already asked and replied to... do some research. Show some knowledge and you get the attention. Get the simple questions answered out of the way by some research. Make up ones mind yourself by research.

I researched Charleston quite a long time, looking for a place to live our entire lives and bring up our young son. Came down for 2 visits, 5 days and 13 days. We are living here now for 1 year and love it and appreciate it more and more, it has been a total win-won situation for us.

I did the homework and decided myself... as well as asked some questions. But research and think.. then ask.

The Present is Great,
The Future even Better.

Enjoy !

https://www.city-data.com/forum/charl...ing-south.html

Old 04-28-2012, 04:36 AM

5,615 posts, read 14,796,220 times
This thread =

Old 04-28-2012, 07:22 AM

3,382 posts, read 8,651,049 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elythomas View Post
Seeking Pro's and Con's to Consolidating a muni****lity's Police and Fire Departments into a single Public Saftey Department.
Don't forget north Charleston and everything within 100 miles is like Baghdad, roving gangs of thugs with machine guns in 99 crown give jacked up in the air on 24" wheels, killing, robbing and raping people(in that order)

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk 2
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area