Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-02-2012, 12:59 PM

288 posts, read 494,553 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robynn View Post
what's that?
Patio Lantern with Repellent for Mosquitoes | ThermaCELL

Anyone else have any other products to use for larger areas (i.e. entire back yards)?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2012, 01:24 PM

6,417 posts, read 1,432,923 times
A necessity for Charleston County Parks when the weather is beautiful in Charleston Fall and Spring:
Tell them if they move here they need to bring this!:
Attached Thumbnails
Everyone Currently Living in Chaleston.. Read this.-innerpeace_lg.jpg  

Old 05-02-2012, 01:50 PM

7,934 posts, read 17,331,873 times
ThermaCELL® | Devices to cool or warm you & get rid of mosquitoes

I use mine all the time it covers my entire patio, 20'x40'...

Old 05-02-2012, 08:06 PM

1,940 posts, read 3,593,592 times
I'm starting to think that my area gets sprayed for bugs outside. We have no problems at all with gnats or mosquitoes. There are a ton of townhouses where I live, but there are also a lot of trees. I really expected a lot of mosquitoes and I can sit outside at night all year round and not get bitten. I had a ton more mosquitoes where I moved from.

Old 05-03-2012, 04:04 AM

5,615 posts, read 14,794,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robynn View Post
what's that?
Handheld mosquito detector.

It also fits in a shoe for convenient storage.

http://www.frontiersafetyandsupply.com/wp-content/uploads/wpsc/product_images/ThermaCELL.jpg/ (broken link)

Old 05-03-2012, 05:50 AM

6,417 posts, read 1,432,923 times
Well, thanks for the ideas about the Thermocell. You all must live a bit away from the water and marsh!
If you live near the water like I do on James Island the bugs are horrible! Tell them this OP (original poster) starter of thread.

Old 05-03-2012, 07:25 AM

4,861 posts, read 9,311,760 times
When we were in Charleston recently, we took my in-laws on a harbor cruise and the no-see-ums were absolutely terrible! They were in our ears, our noses, our mouths, our eyes...oh, and they like to nip at skin too. We have been to SC many times and own property there, but I have never seen the bugs as bad as they were that day. They were in the city too, but they were the worst out on the water. If there are neighborhoods that don't have them, then I would want to know what exactly it is that I'm breathing in that they're spraying to keep them at bay. What's the lesser of the two evils, bug bites or inhaling pesticides?

Old 05-03-2012, 08:06 AM

1,186 posts, read 1,941,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MINIcoopKJG View Post
I'm starting to think that my area gets sprayed for bugs outside. We have no problems at all with gnats or mosquitoes. There are a ton of townhouses where I live, but there are also a lot of trees. I really expected a lot of mosquitoes and I can sit outside at night all year round and not get bitten. I had a ton more mosquitoes where I moved from.
Same here. Water everywhere. Bugs negligible.

I LOVE sitting on the patio (unscreened) looking at the incredible star display here.

BTW: I'm not arguing for the norm, just relating my experience

Old 05-03-2012, 09:20 AM

259 posts, read 554,255 times
It's a good thing not everyone likes the same things. We have been on the road for a week returning to our home. At this time we are visiting family in another area that we would not want to live, but others love it.

We lucked out being able to try on the south before my dh retired. Great place to visit, not where we want to be, leaves room for those who want to be there 24/7.

When you have moved around as much as we have in our lives, you realize that home is where your heart is and family though they may drive you nuts...is very important. I'll take rain, snow, sun, changing leaves...being able to be out in the yard 12 months a year, most years, but that's me...which in turn is not you.

We did our research...and appreciated all the help from many on here....but still happy to be returning home.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area