Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-04-2016, 01:30 PM

2,320 posts, read 2,972,026 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver-Fox View Post
Why?
Why would anyone do anything before Friday?

It is plain stupidity to do anything before Thursday evening. It is possible that the hurricane will not even come here, and it will only be a CAT 2 if it does.
Thing is everything got shut down for that Tropical Storm that ended up not even being a rain event. Knee-jerk reactions the lot of them but...... then you look at what happened in October and no one wants to be caught flat-footed..... besides at this point we know it will be right off the coast at a minimum
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-04-2016, 01:32 PM

6,417 posts, read 1,444,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ledmonkey View Post
Thing is everything got shut down for that Tropical Storm that ended up not even being a rain event. Knee-jerk reactions the lot of them but...... then you look at what happened in October and no one wants to be caught flat-footed..... besides at this point we know it will be right off the coast at a minimum
Well man,
it's sad, those of us that have been through hurricanes and lived our lives on the coast, know. No need to panic this early for something that might never happen. People you can decide what to do Friday morning.
Ledmonkey, if it does come by Charleston, sleep in man, it will only be a CAT 2 by then! I will.

Old 10-04-2016, 01:34 PM

6,476 posts, read 6,471,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by m1a1mg View Post
For all other info, listen to the experts. I just heard some moron in Taco Bell tell some Ohio tourists that it was windy today because of the hurricane.

Maybe he's just trying to get a head start on his meteorological career.

Old 10-04-2016, 01:36 PM

2,320 posts, read 2,972,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver-Fox View Post
Well man,
it's sad, those of us that have been through hurricanes and lived our lives on the coast, know. No need to panic this early for something that might never happen. People you can decide what to do Friday morning.
Ledmonkey, if it does come by Charleston, sleep in man, it will only be a CAT 2 by then! I will.
Naturally, I'm not worried in the slightest. There's no reason to be worried until the Waffle Houses start cutting back their menus.

Old 10-04-2016, 01:39 PM

10,150 posts, read 7,816,826 times
Well I wasn't concerned about this until I heard Gov Haley on The Weather Channel. My family and I are in Summerville. I want to leave if this gets bad. After Hugo, I swore I would never stay again if ever we had another hurricane. Hopefully this one teeters out some or goes out to sea...crossing fingers.

I live in a house back in the woods full of tall mature trees. During Hugo this house got hit bad with downed trees on house and I feel sure it would again and I surely don't want to be in it.

My neighbor just called me saying she saw the governor on the news. She is from California and not used to hurricanes and wanted to know if they needed to evacuate. I think since they have dogs, they are going ahead and booking a hotel room just in case we need to leave.

Last edited by diddlydudette; 10-04-2016 at 01:49 PM..

Old 10-04-2016, 01:52 PM

45,676 posts, read 24,074,148 times
So schools will close Wednesday. I guess that's for folks in coastal areas like Isle of Palm, Sullivans, etc. to have time to get out.

I'm hitting Costco when it opens....maybe go later tonight.

Suppose to have company coming on Thursday. They are on a road trip from Canada. Just sent a little note that they may want to rethink their plans. While I am sure they would be safe in our home, there won't be anything to do or see. Not much of a vacation.

Old 10-04-2016, 01:53 PM

6,476 posts, read 6,471,744 times
Apparently, Hilton Head's now under mandatory evac. I'm hearing this from someone who actually lives on Hilton Head, but they're trying to get more info.

I will update with what I hear.

Edit: Yes, it's confirmed. While the models still say otherwise, I guess we're trying to be proactive and treat this as a yes rather than a maybe.

Old 10-04-2016, 01:57 PM
Status: "Without data, it's just an opinion." (set 2 days ago)

5,741 posts, read 4,724,666 times
Well the Governor just called it.

http://www.postandcourier.com/201610...ast-haley-says

Old 10-04-2016, 01:57 PM

657 posts, read 740,803 times
Haley said there was no such thing as a "mandatory" evac, unless municipalities are allowed to.

Old 10-04-2016, 02:00 PM
Status: "Without data, it's just an opinion." (set 2 days ago)

5,741 posts, read 4,724,666 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KEB1786 View Post
Haley said there was no such thing as a "mandatory" evac, unless municipalities are allowed to.
Yep, P&C posted then changed. FML. Have to move a senior from a nursing home on Thursday.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area