Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-26-2011, 08:00 AM

7,074 posts, read 12,342,588 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by yantosh22 View Post
What makes it look "wicked"?
Did you not see the boarded up doors and windows on many of the houses on this street? Better yet, just take a trip to this street at 100 am then tell me what you think. Back in the day, these were the places to go for young AA families after the 2nd ward "Brooklyn" neighborhood uptown was cleared out. Today, these neighborhoods (due to poverty and drugs) are bad news. They don't represent Charlotte as a whole, but there are too many of them IMO.

Light rail to UNCC would gentrify this neighborhood quite nicely (and I am usually not a big fan of gentrification; but in this case it is needed).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2011, 08:01 AM

495 posts, read 1,077,634 times
Of course people here are quick to start new threads on every new shooting that occurs in predictable areas that are obviously not random crimes at all, instead of stories like Khalid Love making it into Princeton and the strong positive influence he's already had on others:
The Charlotte Observer : Passion for learning math leads whiz to Princeton

Old 07-26-2011, 08:14 AM

8,237 posts, read 13,513,951 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueheronNC View Post
Of course people here are quick to start new threads on every new shooting that occurs in predictable areas that are obviously not random crimes at all, instead of stories like Khalid Love making it into Princeton and the strong positive influence he's already had on others:
The Charlotte Observer : Passion for learning math leads whiz to Princeton

I guess you missed the fact that this is city-data....the purpose is post data and information on the area, to assist people in wanting to choose this area OR not.

A local kid making it to Princeton has no bearing on that fact.

Old 07-26-2011, 08:36 AM

495 posts, read 1,077,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chromekitty View Post
I guess you missed the fact that this is city-data....the purpose is post data and information on the area, to assist people in wanting to choose this area OR not.

A local kid making it to Princeton has no bearing on that fact.
It doesn't? Knowing that inner city youth are actually able to escape the inner cycle of despair and violence is at least as relevant to someone looking to move here as bringing up every shooting that occurs between two seedy individuals who know each other when a drug deal goes bad.

Old 07-26-2011, 08:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueheronNC View Post
It doesn't? Knowing that inner city youth are actually able to escape the inner cycle of despair and violence is at least as relevant to someone looking to move here as bringing up every shooting that occurs between two seedy individuals who know each other when a drug deal goes bad.
That is not something that the city/county can create or install that is something that comes from within that young person and is put there by his upbringing. That is called personal responsibility and actually would be a great topic for another forum(s) on here.

Old 07-26-2011, 08:48 AM

7,074 posts, read 12,342,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chromekitty View Post
That is not something that the city/county can create or install that is something that comes from within that young person and is put there by his upbringing. That is called personal responsibility and actually would be a great topic for another forum(s) on here.
As the saying goes, it takes a village to raise a child. So if the child is "bad", what does that say about the village? Simply put, we need to get rid of such neighborhoods where "bad boys" grow up. Gentrification is the only legal answer.

Old 07-26-2011, 08:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbancharlotte View Post
As the saying goes, it takes a village to raise a child. So if the child is "bad", what does that say about the village? Simply put, we need to get rid of such neighborhoods where "bad boys" grow up. Gentrification is the only legal answer.
I don't buy into that train of thought....

Old 07-26-2011, 08:57 AM

1,661 posts, read 3,287,595 times
Looks sterile and cold to me. Numerous city blocks in all that urban renewal space in those multiple photos you posted and all I see 3 people and a cop. You will find more people walking around Birkdale Village.

Thanks for the confirmation.

The solution to Charlotte's ever increasing problem with crime isn't with urban renewal, unless crime prevention means creating places that nobody wants to go to.

Old 07-26-2011, 09:07 AM

2,742 posts, read 6,749,693 times
Quote:
Looks sterile and cold to me. Numerous city blocks in all that urban renewal space in those multiple photos you posted and all I see 3 people and a cop. You will find more people walking around Birkdale Village.

Thanks for the confirmation.

The solution to Charlotte's ever increasing problem with crime isn't with urban renewal, unless crime prevention means creating places that nobody wants to go to.

I see you didn’t address your claim that 4th Ward hasn’t had any renewal. Obviously my photos proved otherwise. Ignore the topic if you want, but it speaks to your credibility as a poster.

Quote:
What makes it look "wicked"? In the late 70s I used to know several people who live on that set of streets and you could walk down them any time without any issues. Yes, it's not that way now, but I disagree that wholesale urban renewal is the way to fix it. This is what they did in downtown and it's cold and sterile now. The only exception is 4th ward where no renewal took place.

Old 07-26-2011, 09:09 AM

1,661 posts, read 3,287,595 times
I was referring the the part that was not torn down. Try to read posts in the "context" they were posted in. CB this is why nobody gives you any credibility.

In any case this topic is about the ever increasing violent crime in Charlotte.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte