Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-27-2011, 04:40 PM

181 posts, read 353,554 times

Advertisements

I love the pictures of 4th ward. How many people have been robbed there this year at Johnson Wales? Remember one guy was murdered earlier this year having a smoke on his porch by some random thug. Just a week or two ago, a family from out of town was carjacked in broad daylight on a street visible in pic # 2. I don't care what stats say crime is up in this city. Born and raised and I see the news every day. Shootings are daily or every other day. It didn't used to be like this. All those fancy condos displaced the real ghettos into other parts of the city.

When repeat offenders plea down or charges get dismissed it skews the stats. Some on here have been here only a few years and know nothing about what the city used to be like, and rely on the "stats"to tell the story. Or say were not Philly or Detroit. Maybe so but we are heading that way.It also helps to read other news sources that the charlotte observer which is VERY selective of the crime it reports and the descriptions of the area of town it happened in.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2011, 04:58 PM

1,546 posts, read 2,551,196 times
AMEN!

Quote:
Originally Posted by NC72 View Post
I love the pictures of 4th ward. How many people have been robbed there this year at Johnson Wales? Remember one guy was murdered earlier this year having a smoke on his porch by some random thug. Just a week or two ago, a family from out of town was carjacked in broad daylight on a street visible in pic # 2. I don't care what stats say crime is up in this city. Born and raised and I see the news every day. Shootings are daily or every other day. It didn't used to be like this. All those fancy condos displaced the real ghettos into other parts of the city.

When repeat offenders plea down or charges get dismissed it skews the stats. Some on here have been here only a few years and know nothing about what the city used to be like, and rely on the "stats"to tell the story. Or say were not Philly or Detroit. Maybe so but we are heading that way.It also helps to read other news sources that the charlotte observer which is VERY selective of the crime it reports and the descriptions of the area of town it happened in.

Old 07-27-2011, 06:52 PM

15,355 posts, read 12,644,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClevelandMike View Post
Well, I am glad these are your opinions.

You see, once upon a time - 1980ish, I went to NY and hired a cabbie.
He asked me where I was going. I replied, Harlem. He said are you sure,
I said yes I am sure. He asked me why. I told him, I want to see how
big and bad these hoodlums are for myself.

Being from an all black government project neighborhood inner-city of Cleveland, I
could not believe any neighborhood or city would be worse than were I grew up. After
a couple of hours, looking for mayhem worse than Cleveland, I was disapointed.
Nothing different in Harlem - which I believe your opinion would rank this at that time
as a high crime area of NY.

In 1982 Charlotte had small pockets of bad neighborhoods and crime. Today,
its no wonder why the crime has spread throughout the queen city. The population
growth has been astounding. Crime is everywhere and you can't miss seeing it during
any given day. Watch seeing "the facts" for yourself, here's some choice spots to start with:
Freedom Drive, Sugar Creek Rd, Nations Ford Rd, Statesville Road at Atando, The University Area,
Mallard Creek, West Charlotte, North Charlotte, Downtown on major events, CATS rail station,
pick a spot and have some fun.

This city, which I have been a part of over 30 years, has big problems with crime
today as reported on the daily news and in our newwspapers. Why do we have so many
police sub-stations now? Why do we have this many police officers?
I've lived in Pittsburgh, Richmond VA, West Philly, South Philly and Brooklyn. I worked for a homeless shelter in Richmond VA while in college and I have some fascinating stories about what happens when the sun goes down.

I work off of Sugar Creek and wouldn't spend my evening walking around over there... but that being said I don't fear for my life when I go get lunch.

I'm smart enough to not go looking for the crime... but I'm also smart enough to realize Charlotte isn't as dangerous as Richmond, Brooklyn, Pittsburgh and Philly/Camden or DC.

Charlotte is growing so the crime is worse but it's not nearly as bad as other major cities.

Old 07-27-2011, 07:15 PM

15,355 posts, read 12,644,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NC72 View Post

I can't think of any city besides NYC where the murders have dropped over the last 30 years.

When people compare Charlotte to other cities they use recent crime stats or recent living experiences. What else should we go by?

America is a violent country and Charlotte isn't speeding towards crazy crime world....

you brought up the car jacking a few weeks ago and everyone who says Charlotte is going downhill uses this crime as proof. When people have to use the same car jacking story to prove how crazy Charlotte is it doesn't support their argument.

Old 07-27-2011, 07:29 PM

1,546 posts, read 2,551,196 times
How long have you been here?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Feltdesigner View Post
I've lived in Pittsburgh, Richmond VA, West Philly, South Philly and Brooklyn. I worked for a homeless shelter in Richmond VA while in college and I have some fascinating stories about what happens when the sun goes down.

I work off of Sugar Creek and wouldn't spend my evening walking around over there... but that being said I don't fear for my life when I go get lunch.

I'm smart enough to not go looking for the crime... but I'm also smart enough to realize Charlotte isn't as dangerous as Richmond, Brooklyn, Pittsburgh and Philly/Camden or DC.

Charlotte is growing so the crime is worse but it's not nearly as bad as other major cities.

Old 07-27-2011, 07:36 PM

181 posts, read 353,554 times
I used the carjacking as an example because the street is shown in pic#2. In addition, I gave you other examples of crime in that little area including a murder.

ok here are three stories not in the paper from the past few days. A rape, a home invasion, and robbery where the perps were caught in another robbery.

Man charged with raping woman at gunpoint in east Charlotte | Crime | East Charlotte News

2 women and toddler assaulted in east Charlotte home invasion - WBTV 3 News, Weather, Sports, and Traffic for Charlotte, NC-

2 juveniles arrested in southeast Charlotte purse snatching | Crime | East Charlotte News

Old 07-28-2011, 03:48 AM

1,661 posts, read 3,287,595 times
Quote:
I can't think of any city besides NYC where the murders have dropped over the last 30 years. ...
Homicide rate has dropped in most major cities in the USA over the last 30 years.

Old 07-28-2011, 05:43 AM

3,866 posts, read 4,276,438 times
Quote:
I can't think of any city besides NYC where the murders have dropped over the last 30 years.

When people compare Charlotte to other cities they use recent crime stats or recent living experiences. What else should we go by?

America is a violent country and Charlotte isn't speeding towards crazy crime world....

you brought up the car jacking a few weeks ago and everyone who says Charlotte is going downhill uses this crime as proof. When people have to use the same car jacking story to prove how crazy Charlotte is it doesn't support their argument.
I agree, but Charlotte isn't like the rest of America, there aren't any 50+ singles to date, no bars for anyone over 30 and 10 years ago there was no crime...LOL.

Based on some of these post, you'd think Charlotte was on an island....this is America, and as far as I can tell, Charlotte connects to the rest of America via interstate...speaking of mid-size cities and crime, hang-out in Memphis for a couple of weeks, then get back to me. Any yes, Memphis is a cool city...but you'd better watch your back.

Old 07-28-2011, 05:52 AM

35,879 posts, read 77,469,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Aristotle View Post
I agree, but Charlotte isn't like the rest of America, there aren't any 50+ singles to date, no bars for anyone over 30 and 10 years ago there was no crime...LOL.

Based on some of these post, you'd think Charlotte was on an island....this is America, and as far as I can tell, Charlotte connects to the rest of America via interstate...speaking of mid-size cities and crime, hang-out in Memphis for a couple of weeks, then get back to me. Any yes, Memphis is a cool city...but you'd better watch your back.
Some folks continually condescend to anyone who posts that the crime is getting worse in this city by saying - yeah, but it isn't as bad as (fill in the blank).

I don't live in (fill in the blank). I live here. I don't give a rat's patootie what the crime is in (fill inthe blank) - that's THEIR problem.

Crime in Charlotte is a real concern, especially when it is a crime of opportunity as opposed to crime b/n folks who already know each other.

It is hard to "gentrify" areas when the urban pioneers living there are victimized by the parasitic repeat offender scum that thrives in certain areas of this town.

Old 07-28-2011, 07:22 AM

2,742 posts, read 6,749,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
Some folks continually condescend to anyone who posts that the crime is getting worse in this city by saying - yeah, but it isn't as bad as (fill in the blank).

I don't live in (fill in the blank). I live here. I don't give a rat's patootie what the crime is in (fill inthe blank) - that's THEIR problem.

Crime in Charlotte is a real concern, especially when it is a crime of opportunity as opposed to crime b/n folks who already know each other.

It is hard to "gentrify" areas when the urban pioneers living there are victimized by the parasitic repeat offender scum that thrives in certain areas of this town.
I think one does have to keep things in perspective. Accepting crime and expecting it are different things. Nobody accepts crime here. That’s why Darrell Stephenson was run out of town. But to expect Charlotte to be Mayberry is ridiculous. Charlotte is a big city along the lines of Nashville or Jacksonville, and our crime rate mirrors our peer cities. And compared to many peers we’re actually performing better on crime. And let’s clarify “opportunity crimes”. Most property crimes are crimes of opportunity just given their nature. But the vast majority of the violent crime here is between people who know each another. That’s a fact. People here shouldn’t worry about just walking down the street. Its not that type of city. But posters want to distort the truth to push their agenda which is to discourage people from moving here. A couple of threads recently started were about violent “domestic” incidents. Seriously? Domestic incidents? That’s the kind of tomfoolery some posters engage in on this board.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte