Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-26-2011, 07:25 PM

1,619 posts, read 3,871,726 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbancharlotte View Post
As the saying goes, it takes a village to raise a child.

My Dad didn't need a village. He needed a Bible and a belt.

The way I see it, these shootings are not random, 99% of the time, and posting the articles help show the areas of town that are prone to this type of violence. On the other hand, it is unrealistic and unreasonable to try to label Charlotte as a bad city because of these shootings. Unless they become a 2-3 a day occurence. These things happen in bigger towns and that's just the way it is.

Last edited by PeytonC; 07-26-2011 at 07:41 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2011, 04:43 AM

1,661 posts, read 3,287,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeytonC View Post
.... On the other hand, it is unrealistic and unreasonable to try to label Charlotte as a bad city because of these shootings. Unless they become a 2-3 a day occurence. These things happen in bigger towns and that's just the way it is.
In the last 11 days, just based on forum posting here, we have had 8 shootings and 2 killed by gunfire. This is a shooting approximately every 18 hours. So Charlotte is meeting this definition of a crime ridden city. It may be worse BTW because maybe all the shootings are not making it into the media.

BTW, I completely agree with you on what it takes to raise a kid. #1 are the parents who brought them into this world being responsible for their actions and upbringing.

Old 07-27-2011, 05:51 AM

1,546 posts, read 2,550,943 times
This city has become a total wreck with violence. Don't bury your head in the sand and
believe what you read here.

Old 07-27-2011, 06:40 AM

15,355 posts, read 12,642,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yantosh22 View Post
In the last 11 days, just based on forum posting here, we have had 8 shootings and 2 killed by gunfire. This is a shooting approximately every 18 hours. So Charlotte is meeting this definition of a crime ridden city. It may be worse BTW because maybe all the shootings are not making it into the media.

BTW, I completely agree with you on what it takes to raise a kid. #1 are the parents who brought them into this world being responsible for their actions and upbringing.
Charlotte is not meeting the definition of a crime ridden city

It's barely meeting the definition of a "city" in terms of shootings and murders.

Old 07-27-2011, 07:47 AM

1,619 posts, read 3,871,726 times
So Charlotte is a crime-ridden city for the past 11 days. Wow everybody pack it up. I used to work in law enforcecement and it was a well-known fact that when it gets hotter, crime goes up. That's simple common sense. It doesn't make the number of shootings lately any easier to handle, but it puts things in perspective. The shootings will drop (no pun intended) just like they always do, and as much as we would like to see none, we have to be realistic about it.

Old 07-27-2011, 08:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeytonC View Post
So Charlotte is a crime-ridden city for the past 11 days. Wow everybody pack it up. I used to work in law enforcecement and it was a well-known fact that when it gets hotter, crime goes up. That's simple common sense. It doesn't make the number of shootings lately any easier to handle, but it puts things in perspective. The shootings will drop (no pun intended) just like they always do, and as much as we would like to see none, we have to be realistic about it.
Stop, no way... Charlotte is the wild wild west of the east coast..

Old 07-27-2011, 08:42 AM

6,151 posts, read 10,024,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Feltdesigner View Post
Stop, no way... Charlotte is the wild wild west of the east coast..
Clearly... I just nearly took a bullet typing this! Now where did I put my kevlar?

I wonder how many potential transplants coming to this forum would even drive near these areas let alone be looking for housing in or around them. I suspect that number is very, very low. Maybe even zero.

Also, I continue to read other CD sub forums for other areas of the country... The US natives in general are very restless everywhere. Charlotte is not alone in seeing shootings rise recently.

Old 07-27-2011, 12:46 PM

Feltdesigner-

What defines a crime tainted city?

Where are the levels generated to determine what the term "City"
is with shootings and crime?

I'm very interested in researching the facts you have posted.

Old 07-27-2011, 01:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClevelandMike View Post
Feltdesigner-

What defines a crime tainted city?

Where are the levels generated to determine what the term "City"
is with shootings and crime?

I'm very interested in researching the facts you have posted.
when did I say my post was actual facts? I posted my opinion just like you have...

Do you have facts that the city is a total wreck with violence?

If you want facts I think someone posted the crime stats for this year in Charlotte a few pages back and crime is down. Unfortunately that fact is refuted by opinions.... posing as facts.

Old 07-27-2011, 03:26 PM

Well, I am glad these are your opinions.

You see, once upon a time - 1980ish, I went to NY and hired a cabbie.
He asked me where I was going. I replied, Harlem. He said are you sure,
I said yes I am sure. He asked me why. I told him, I want to see how
big and bad these hoodlums are for myself.

Being from an all black government project neighborhood inner-city of Cleveland, I
could not believe any neighborhood or city would be worse than were I grew up. After
a couple of hours, looking for mayhem worse than Cleveland, I was disapointed.
Nothing different in Harlem - which I believe your opinion would rank this at that time
as a high crime area of NY.

In 1982 Charlotte had small pockets of bad neighborhoods and crime. Today,
its no wonder why the crime has spread throughout the queen city. The population
growth has been astounding. Crime is everywhere and you can't miss seeing it during
any given day. Watch seeing "the facts" for yourself, here's some choice spots to start with:
Freedom Drive, Sugar Creek Rd, Nations Ford Rd, Statesville Road at Atando, The University Area,
Mallard Creek, West Charlotte, North Charlotte, Downtown on major events, CATS rail station,
pick a spot and have some fun.

This city, which I have been a part of over 30 years, has big problems with crime
today as reported on the daily news and in our newwspapers. Why do we have so many
police sub-stations now? Why do we have this many police officers?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte