Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-10-2011, 10:47 AM

4,692 posts, read 9,300,881 times

Advertisements

I'm one that believes in not biting the hand that feeds you. I understand the frustration with the current economic condition, but we need the banks to improve not to be dismantled.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-10-2011, 10:52 AM

35,879 posts, read 77,469,759 times
Sometimes, it isn't CHANGE we need; rather, we need to get back to the original proposition.

The federal government has become a huge bloated toad. How about we start there and instead of changing things, we simply go back to the beginning and this time, keep the feds out of the states . . . and use tax money for national defense, border security and interstate highways.

Old 10-10-2011, 10:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by adavi215 View Post
I'm one that believes in not biting the hand that feeds you. I understand the frustration with the current economic condition, but we need the banks to improve not to be dismantled.
Hear, Hear! Excellent point.

Old 10-10-2011, 11:10 AM

116 posts, read 255,725 times
Although I'm sure there is a minority of people participating there with good intentions, the majority are troublemakers who would align with anybody - as long as they keep "busy". Another minority of people (most vocal/incendiary ones) are there to push their communist/anarchic ideas.

While in other thread we deplore the state of BoA and underline its importance for Charlotte, here we want it to its knees...
It is time to stick together to pull through this difficult economic times, the last thing we need is a further destabilized society. Sure we all have our own ideas of the way things should be addressed, but instigation to hate and violence will never get any good results.

Old 10-10-2011, 11:10 AM

6,151 posts, read 10,025,618 times
I find it rather disingenuous (check that- HIGHLY disingenuous) that folks will go off on the Occupy movement for specifics and/or fire off at them based on assumptions of what they're standing for... or worse, take what people are saying here as speaking for the movement like they have an inside track or something... newsflash - they don't.

In contrast - the other popular fringe group just stands there and chants "less" and "NO" like either actually means something in the big picture. Meanwhile it's as empty a dogma as the Occupy movement in specifics. Digging for this is the trap.

What these movements share is a disdain for the status quo, yet they diverge on how to get there... and it blows my mind how far off 2 groups belonging to the same 99% can be. I mean seriously. wow.

IMHO - there is nothing wrong with corporations making money and that is not what OWS (Charlotte) stands for. If you make something that is in demand or offer a service people want, you should be rewarded. Depending on the overall demand you could be rewarded handsomely. We all took basic economics as kids.

On of the many things the Occupy movement stands for IMHO is the highest rewards going to people who produce nothing... people who just "make money" via the markets using risk free investments on the backs of the people actually making or providing something. I'm talking about the completely broken global financial system where we just print money to pay our bills (devaluing the money we have in the bank or under our mattress). A system where special interests are given priority over people. A system where Wall St and banks are being bailed out covertly on an on going basis to this day by our Federal government. You only hear about TARP and Stimulus - you don't hear about things like liquidity, the window, POMO, etc etc that go on as a matter of course.

It's corrupt as all get out - which I was fine with until now because now I'm funding the party. So guess what... it's time to pay the piper. Going after Unions and collective bargaining isn't the long term answer as much as instituting 18th century abortion legislation isn't the answer. Pension managers have a fiscal responsibility to their clients... hold them accountable. You want to be Mr BigShot fund manager collecting huge bonuses? Well then read the fine print and know you have a fiscal responsibility (fines and/or jail time). You manipulated the commodity market? Pound you in the arse jail now! You violated insider trading and SEC regulations? (and no I don't mean Martha Stewart) - Pound you in the arse jail! You took debt and intentionally mislabeled for sale in the open market? Pound you in the arse jail! How about we start there? Start with the open mockery our regulation of Wall St is.

Too much power now rests with the top who can basically get away with anything via debt slavery... I mean even Warren Buffet finally grew a conscience and realized it. When will everyone else?

Until something is done about THE special interest to end all special interests, then who is in the WH doesn't matter. Making it about the POTUS plays perfectly into their hands as they fund the elections on all sides.

Occupy Wall Street | NYC Protest for American Revolution

Old 10-10-2011, 11:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Severin1 View Post
Although I'm sure there is a minority of people participating there with good intentions, the majority are troublemakers who would align with anybody - as long as they keep "busy". Another minority of people (most vocal/incendiary ones) are there to push their communist/anarchic ideas.

While in other thread we deplore the state of BoA and underline its importance for Charlotte, here we want it to its knees...
It is time to stick together to pull through this difficult economic times, the last thing we need is a further destabilized society. Sure we all have our own ideas of the way things should be addressed, but instigation to hate and violence will never get any good results.
Well put, Sevrin and good food for thought. TY for sharing your thoughts - it is appreciated.

Old 10-10-2011, 11:19 AM

8,237 posts, read 13,513,951 times
Many great points!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeyKid View Post
I find it rather disingenuous (check that- HIGHLY disingenuous) that folks will go off on the Occupy movement for specifics and/or fire off at them based on assumptions of what they're standing for... or worse, take what people are saying here as speaking for the movement like they have an inside track or something... newsflash - they don't.

In contrast - the other popular fringe group just stands there and chants "less" and "NO" like either actually means something in the big picture. Meanwhile it's as empty a dogma as the Occupy movement in specifics. Digging for this is the trap.

What these movements share is a disdain for the status quo, yet they diverge on how to get there... and it blows my mind how far off 2 groups belonging to the same 99% can be. I mean seriously. wow.

IMHO - there is nothing wrong with corporations making money and that is not what OWS (Charlotte) stands for. If you make something that is in demand or offer a service people want, you should be rewarded. Depending on the overall demand you could be rewarded handsomely. We all took basic economics as kids.

On of the many things the Occupy movement stands for IMHO is the highest rewards going to people who produce nothing... people who just "make money" via the markets using risk free investments on the backs of the people actually making or providing something. I'm talking about the completely broken global financial system where we just print money to pay our bills (devaluing the money we have in the bank or under our mattress). A system where special interests are given priority over people. A system where Wall St and banks are being bailed out covertly on an on going basis to this day by our Federal government. You only hear about TARP and Stimulus - you don't hear about things like liquidity, the window, POMO, etc etc that go on as a matter of course.

It's corrupt as all get out - which I was fine with until now because now I'm funding the party. So guess what... it's time to pay the piper. Going after Unions and collective bargaining isn't the long term answer as much as instituting 18th century abortion legislation isn't the answer. Pension managers have a fiscal responsibility to their clients... hold them accountable. You want to be Mr BigShot fund manager collecting huge bonuses? Well then read the fine print and know you have a fiscal responsibility (fines and/or jail time). You manipulated the commodity market? Pound you in the arse jail now! You violated insider trading and SEC regulations? (and no I don't mean Martha Stewart) - Pound you in the arse jail! You took debt and intentionally mislabeled for sale in the open market? Pound you in the arse jail! How about we start there? Start with the open mockery our regulation of Wall St is.

Too much power now rests with the top who can basically get away with anything via debt slavery... I mean even Warren Buffet finally grew a conscience and realized it. When will everyone else?

Until something is done about THE special interest to end all special interests, then who is in the WH doesn't matter. Making it about the POTUS plays perfectly into their hands as they fund the elections on all sides.

Occupy Wall Street | NYC Protest for American Revolution

Old 10-10-2011, 11:23 AM

1,253 posts, read 4,713,967 times
Looks like OWS found a good spokesman:
Alan Grayson speaks up for OWS with a strong clear voice - YouTube

Old 10-10-2011, 11:28 AM

8,237 posts, read 13,513,951 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adavi215 View Post

The banks are not going to improve, all they are doing is stopping economic growth and stopping credit creation.

Old 10-10-2011, 11:36 AM

841 posts, read 1,432,066 times
Quote:
All most of us have asked for is simply tell us the end game... what the protestors want specifically. Best way to solve a problem is offer concrete solutions as you complain.

Quote:
I assume you speak of the Tea Party movement. I think they developed some specifics but since that movement has been taken over by politicians looking to get elected. The same is already beginning to happen to the occupy movement.

Quote:
I find it disingenuous that the protestors like to include 99% in their numbers. I think quite a few Americans prefer not to be labeled as the "haves" and "have nots." Leave me out of the 99% or the 1%.

Quote:
On of the many things the Occupy movement stands for IMHO is the highest rewards going to people who produce nothing... people who just "make money" via the markets using risk free investments on the backs of the people actually making or providing something.
No one makes money for doing "nothing" in the free market, at least generally speaking. They are rewarded because of either contracts or because stockholders and boards believe they've done something of value for the company. How are the banks risk free (careful how you answer that one... it's a bit of a trap)?

Quote:
I'm talking about the completely broken global financial system where we just print money to pay our bills (devaluing the money we have in the bank or under our mattress).
National debt and political issue.

Quote:
A system where special interests are given priority over people... It's corrupt as all get out
As I've said previously, money buys elections and all Americans are to blame. If you don't have a ton of money for a slick campaign you have no chance of getting elected nationally. That money comes from people with money. It's a vicious cycle but until Americans show that they'll elect a person who doesn't spend a million dollars on a campaign we are to blame.

Quote:
...I was fine with until now because now I'm funding the party. So guess what... it's time to pay the piper.
Please clarify how you are funding the party? If you mean bail outs and the sort, vote out the ones who supported and gave it out; not those who took it.

Quote:
Pension managers have a fiscal responsibility to their clients... hold them accountable. You want to be Mr BigShot fund manager collecting huge bonuses? Well then read the fine print and know you have a fiscal responsibility (fines and/or jail time). You manipulated the commodity market? Pound you in the arse jail now! You violated insider trading and SEC regulations? (and no I don't mean Martha Stewart) - Pound you in the arse jail! You took debt and intentionally mislabeled for sale in the open market? Pound you in the arse jail! How about we start there? Start with the open mockery our regulation of Wall St is.
Don't disagree. If one breaks the law, one should go to jail. I believe, however, that a lot of the current movement would have high pay outlawed.

Quote:
Do not be fooled by Buffet. He has a political agenda and he's buying power with donations too. He's the fox guarding the hen house (and telling half truths in the process.

Quote:
I agree, but again the voting American is to blame for the system. I mean who, for example, would vote for Roy Moore for president in 2012? No one because he's not had a highly expensive campaign to get noticed. (For sake of full disclosure, he's so unknown that I had to "Google" to find an example of someone running who isn't a part of the Big Party/Big Money system).

WE may just very well by the 99%... the 99% responsible for our own mess. Blaming the 1% for our continued failures to fix the problem at its core?

That's hypocrisy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte