Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-10-2011, 07:44 AM

4,713 posts, read 9,699,636 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
I think both parties are worthless right now, lol.
Agreed 100%. And if people want change - that's where it needs to happen - with our country's political leadership. Protesting outside Wall Street will accomplish nothing. The "movement" may be symbolic, but it is futile. Now if all of these people put their heads together and used their time, talents and skills to actually start efforts to affect real change, then some real progress might happen.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-10-2011, 07:46 AM

841 posts, read 1,432,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Feltdesigner View Post
The people who really have a disdain for Wall St. Ron Paul, Elizabeth Warren... they will never get a position of power due to their honesty.
And, to be frank, they lack the money that comes from big time donors, perhaps in part to their candor.
Look, I hate like the dickens that politicians are bought off but Americans are to blame completely and here's why. A simple man with great plans can not get elected without tons of money. The average voter doesn't make themselves informed. They choose instead to vote for the one with the slickest campaign, and money (and lots of it) pays for those campaigns.

Quote:
Who cares what the forefathers were quoted saying 300 years ago. TJ also said..."I do not find in orthodox Christianity one redeeming feature"

now you may or may not agree with it but what is the #1 question when it comes to being president? Is he a god fearing christian?
Oh brother. If you don't care what our founding fathers had to say about governing this country you may have some bigger issues than Wall Street. Clearly you want a country that doesn't resemble what they had in mind, a country that isn't America.

Are you one of the opinion that the Constitution is an "old document" that needs revisions?

Old 10-10-2011, 08:04 AM

4,713 posts, read 9,699,636 times
Quote:
and we also have a choice on who we can vote for but 9 times out of 10 times you are voting for the lesser of 2 evils.

Then maybe instead of camping out in a public park indifinitely, all of these 99%ers should try to come together and create a third option.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RansackedMuse View Post
You are entitled to your opinion and to voicing it. Take it to the streets :-)

Absolutely. But if all you are doing is voicing vague, non-specific slogans with no real objective in mind...then you are just wasting your breath.

Quote:
Democracy isn't mob ruled... it's one man one vote.

And such a system would be a nightmare to manage, which is what our founding fathers recognized, hence we were set up as a democratic republic. If every single issue required a vote from every registed voter, nothing would ever get done. Never mind the fact that such a system would ensure that any minority opinion would never have a chance of being heard and thos ein the minority could easily lose any rights whatsoever without the protections in place that a democratic republic provides.

Old 10-10-2011, 08:16 AM

841 posts, read 1,432,066 times
I just read that the protestors in NYC are being infiltrated by the dregs of society. Those who are homeless, wanted by the law, etc. are hanging out with the protestors because, as one said, “I’m not even supposed to be here, but it’s as good a spot as any to hide.” And another, who added, “I’ve been smoking and drinking in here for eight days now.” A reporter said that he was was offered pot for $15 and heroin for $10.
There were also quasi-conferences being held among the protestors on who to break out of handcuffs, should the NYPD arrest them.

PLEASE NOTE: I am in no way suggesting that this is anywhere close to the majority of the protestors; in fact, it appears as though squatters aren't protesting at all - they are there for the cheap drugs and free food. I am simply pointing out that if this trend of "squatters" continues the protestors are going to have a PR problem.

Last edited by lowercountry; 10-10-2011 at 08:48 AM..

Old 10-10-2011, 09:29 AM

15,355 posts, read 12,644,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lowercountry View Post

Oh brother. If you don't care what our founding fathers had to say about governing this country you may have some bigger issues than Wall Street. Clearly you want a country that doesn't resemble what they had in mind, a country that isn't America.

Are you one of the opinion that the Constitution is an "old document" that needs revisions?
Definitely not... but I think this country does a great job of cherry picking quotes from the founding fathers that suite their agenda.

I seriously doubt the founding fathers would be proud of where this country is today. You have to remember our country was found on protest, terrorism, etc...

I'm pretty sure the founding fathers didn't approve of the Federal Reserve... yet it is in place.

Old 10-10-2011, 09:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tober138 View Post

And such a system would be a nightmare to manage, which is what our founding fathers recognized, hence we were set up as a democratic republic. If every single issue required a vote from every registed voter, nothing would ever get done. Never mind the fact that such a system would ensure that any minority opinion would never have a chance of being heard and thos ein the minority could easily lose any rights whatsoever without the protections in place that a democratic republic provides.
how would it be a nightmare to manage? we count every vote for local and state laws don't we? I know each state has their own set of laws but I'm under the impression that most laws are based on the vote of the states individuals.

Minority opinions aren't being heard now are they?

Do you really think Kentucky or California is getting a fair shake by the liberals and Conservatives respectively when they cast their vote for President? I don't think so but when California had prop 48 or whatever it was called for gay marriage the vote of every man was counted and the decision was made based on the individual vote. Imagine what would have happened if the prop bill was based on the electoral vote? It would have passed because California will always lean left nationally. It doesn't mean they lean that way on every issue though.

One man one vote would force candidates to really listen and address ALL opinions and concerns because they want that individual vote. I'm definitely going to listen to your concerns if I know each vote counts...

If I know South Carolina, Mississippi and Alabama are going GOP regardless I'm not going to spend any time trying to hear what you have to say or trying to convince me I'm your man.

This is the primary reason the states keep moving up their primaries... they know if they sit back and wait they won't get any attention and most races will be decided by the time they get to their state.

Old 10-10-2011, 09:48 AM

23,814 posts, read 34,670,113 times
Quote:
Definitely not... but I think this country does a great job of cherry picking quotes from the founding fathers that suite their agenda.

I seriously doubt the founding fathers would be proud of where this country is today. You have to remember our country was found on protest, terrorism, etc...

I'm pretty sure the founding fathers didn't approve of the Federal Reserve... yet it is in place.
This was their answer: First Bank of the United States

Old 10-10-2011, 09:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tober138 View Post
Agreed 100%. And if people want change - that's where it needs to happen - with our country's political leadership. Protesting outside Wall Street will accomplish nothing. The "movement" may be symbolic, but it is futile. Now if all of these people put their heads together and used their time, talents and skills to actually start efforts to affect real change, then some real progress might happen.
You don't think that's happening? Just because some are protesting it doesn't mean others aren't making moves, gathering and trying to figure out what is next or how to mold the anger into something greater than it is right now.

You can't look at a protest and think this is all that is going on... you should see websites, voting, legislature etc.. in the near future if this is a real uprising that has legs.

The problem though is those who don't agree with a person who was interviewed who said something nutty or the girl who is a lazy trust fund baby represents all so they should pack up and go home.

I've seen some footage and I see black, white, old, young, hippie, educated, vets and anarchist all out their screaming for change.

Old 10-10-2011, 10:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by southbound_295 View Post
This was their answer: First Bank of the United States

Thanks... I guess I should have clarified the Fed in it's "current state"

I doubt any of the forefathers envisioned this when it comes to the Fed and the banks as they operate today.

Old 10-10-2011, 10:14 AM

23,814 posts, read 34,670,113 times
Quote:
Thanks... I guess I should have clarified the Fed in it's "current state"

I doubt any of the forefathers envisioned this when it comes to the Fed and the banks as they operate today.
Actually, I assumed that that's what you meant which is why I made that post. What I posted was as close as they got to the modern federal reserve, & it was not a unanimous decision.

It only can go so far to drag the founding fathers into modern day complexities. In Philadelphia, it is not unusual for people to speculate on what Ben Franklin would think of this or that, but then he is the city's favorite adopted son & was probably the most progressive thinking of the founding fathers. More often than not, the concensus is that Ben's rolling in his grave over at the Christ Church burying ground.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte