Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-10-2011, 05:27 AM

841 posts, read 1,432,066 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RansackedMuse View Post
They are carrying signs that say things like:

1. End Corporate Personhood
2. People over Profit
3. Healthcare not Warfare
4. Planet over Profit

Do those things sound so terrible?
They sound like nebulous slogans.

Quote:
...democracy is what we want now.
Then you don't understand the problems with a democracy. If you wish to change America from a Republic to a democracy then you are for mob rule.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-10-2011, 07:08 AM

9,116 posts, read 17,722,983 times
Quote:
They are carrying signs that say things like:

1. End Corporate Personhood
2. People over Profit
3. Healthcare not Warfare
4. Planet over Profit

Do those things sound so terrible? Some protesters may carry signs that do fully or correctly express the demands of the movement. Once again if you have not seen the actual demands released by the leaders of this movement

That is true, however, democracy is what we want now. The founding fathers also condoned slavery. We do not. Or at least I do not and neither does #OWS.

If you have not seen the list of demands released by the leaders of this movement, you should read them. You can find links here (http://ransackedmuse.wordpress.com/2011/10/09/american-autumn-at-occupychi-across-the-world/ - broken link).
Ok, lets start with #1 on that list.... A "progressive" tax.

What are the specifics on this? Do you want a bracket system? If so, what are the percentages? Tell me more on what the SPECIFICS are.....

Old 10-10-2011, 07:14 AM

15,355 posts, read 12,644,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lowercountry View Post
They sound like nebulous slogans.

Then you don't understand the problems with a democracy. If you wish to change America from a Republic to a democracy then you are for mob rule.
So... taxpayers are paying trillions of dollars so Afghanistan and Iraq will become mob ruled? Awesome.

Democracy isn't mob ruled... it's one man one vote.

The electoral college is an outdated model... If I live in Texas what's the point of voting for a Democrat for President? There are about 10 swing states and the rest are mob ruled. Candidates don't even go to half the states in the country and push for your vote because they already know how the state is going to vote.

The election for POTUS should be democratic in this day in age. The candidates would work a lot harder if they didn't have to flip Ohio, PA, NC, Indiana and Florida every election.

Old 10-10-2011, 07:19 AM

3,457 posts, read 3,622,207 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mainegrl2011 View Post
I think you are correct about the government being in bed with the financial industry so why do some members of our government act like the financial industry is the enemy?
I don't know what politicians you are talking about. Perhaps they are critical of the financial industry because they are trying to fix the problems with the financial industry.

Quote:
like they're not in it together(?)....listen to the comments being made in the news about the financial industry, capitalism, and the protestors.....sounded to me like the government would like for us to believe the fault belongs to the financial industry aka Wall St....and the government is our "friend" trying to "protect us" from the evil financiers (!?!), small business owners who were profitable and became big business owners(!?!), inventors/businessmen like Steve Jobs who started out in a garage and ended up a billionaire....Apple stock traded on Wall Street....(?!?!)
I don't know what you're trying to say. I think it's important to distinguish between different types of businesses, different branches of government, different political parties and their ideas, and to be specific about what you want to know. That's my response.

Old 10-10-2011, 07:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CouponJack View Post
Ok, lets start with #1 on that list.... A "progressive" tax.

What are the specifics on this? Do you want a bracket system? If so, what are the percentages? Tell me more on what the SPECIFICS are.....
Do you really think at the beginning of every protest every specific is laid out before they take to the streets?

Any group... Dem, Repub, Libertarian, etc... has a variety of bracket systems or percentages that they think would work best. However, I think most groups have a basic list of fundamental changes or demands that they would like to address.

Did you ask the Tea party what their brackets and percentages were 4 weeks into their inception?

Heck, look at the Republican and Democratic parties right now.. neither has a specific plan in place... ask Cain, Romney, Paul, Santorum, Perry what they think about brackets and percentages and you will get 5 different answers.

Last edited by SunnyKayak; 10-10-2011 at 08:19 AM..

Old 10-10-2011, 07:28 AM

841 posts, read 1,432,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Feltdesigner View Post
So... taxpayers are paying trillions of dollars so Afghanistan and Iraq will become mob ruled? Awesome.

We already have one man, one vote. You don't like that money buys politicians; nor do I, but I have realized that we won't change that in a world where the person who raises the most money often wins the elections.

Democracy isn't mob ruled... it's one man one vote.

The electoral college is an outdated model... If I live in Texas what's the point of voting for a Democrat for President? There are about 10 swing states and the rest are mob ruled. Candidates don't even go to half the states in the country and push for your vote because they already know how the state is going to vote.

The election for POTUS should be democratic in this day in age. The candidates would work a lot harder if they didn't have to flip Ohio, PA, NC, Indiana and Florida every election.
Sigh. I can't take the time to go over a Civics lesson of the advantages of a Republic over a democracy but here (again) are what some of the founding fathers had to say about a democracy:

"Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself." - John Adams

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote!" - Ben Franklin

"A democracy is nothing more than mob rule, where 51% of the people may take away the rights of the other 49%." - Thomas Jefferson

"Pure democracy cannot subsist long nor be carried far into the departments of state - it is very subject to caprice and the madness of popular rage." - john Witherspoon

"Between a balanced republic and a democracy, the difference is like that between order and chaos." - John Marshall

Old 10-10-2011, 07:31 AM

9,116 posts, read 17,722,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Feltdesigner View Post
. Do you really think at the beginning of every protest every specific is laid out before they take to the streets?

Any group... Dem, Repub, Libertarian, etc... has a variety of bracket systems or percentages that they think would work best. However, I think most groups have a basic list of fundamental changes or demands that they would like to address.

Did you ask the Tea party what their brackets and percentages were 4 weeks into their inception?

Heck, look at the Republican and Democratic parties right now.. neither has a specific plan in place... ask Cain, Romney, Paul, Santorum, Perry what they think about brackets and percentages and you will get 5 different answers.
Pipe down...I'm asking for specifics....I'm not blasting the whole list. I think there are some good things on there and some awful things....

Last edited by SunnyKayak; 10-10-2011 at 08:21 AM..

Old 10-10-2011, 07:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cletus Awreetus-Awrightus View Post
I don't know what politicians you are talking about. Perhaps they are critical of the financial industry because they are trying to fix the problems with the financial industry.

I don't know what you're trying to say. I think it's important to distinguish between different types of businesses, different branches of government, different political parties and their ideas, and to be specific about what you want to know. That's my response.
yeah right... Obama says the protest are good but he is paid for by Goldman Sach's...

Pelosi, Reid most of the people in power will talk about Wall St. like dogs and once the door is closed they are buddy buddy with them. At least the GOP is honest about their love for the system in place. Cain says we should march on the WH.. but of course we all know he worked for the Fed Reserve in Kansas City.

The people who really have a disdain for Wall St. Ron Paul, Elizabeth Warren... they will never get a position of power due to their honesty.

Old 10-10-2011, 07:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowercountry View Post
Sigh. I can't take the time to go over a Civics lesson of the advantages of a Republic over a democracy but here (again) are what some of the founding fathers had to say about a democracy:

"Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself." - John Adams

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote!" - Ben Franklin

"A democracy is nothing more than mob rule, where 51% of the people may take away the rights of the other 49%." - Thomas Jefferson

"Pure democracy cannot subsist long nor be carried far into the departments of state - it is very subject to caprice and the madness of popular rage." - john Witherspoon

"Between a balanced republic and a democracy, the difference is like that between order and chaos." - John Marshall
Who cares what the forefathers were quoted saying 300 years ago. TJ also said..."I do not find in orthodox Christianity one redeeming feature"

now you may or may not agree with it but what is the #1 question when it comes to being president? Is he a god fearing christian?

Old 10-10-2011, 07:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CouponJack View Post
Pipe down...I'm asking for specifics....I'm not blasting the whole list. I think there are some good things on there and some awful things....
..and you keep demanding one gives them to you on City Data?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte