Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-15-2011, 08:10 AM

35,879 posts, read 77,469,759 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeyKid View Post
To Sunny's request, I'll keep it local replying to this...

Who do you honestly think "paid" with Wachovia? The golden parachutes were out in full force. Middle class jobs got lost.

Either way, this little circular argument of ours in this thread (not just you and me - everyone) is a microcosm of the big picture. If you want to write off "Occupy Charlotte" as a group of unwashed, lazy, entitled, <insert cliche> folks... that's fine.

But please step away and see where this country is with "them getting what they deserve" and "less" and "NO!"... what are we handing over to our children here? It doesn't outrage you? It doesn't make you want to stand out there on the corner of Trade and Tryon and shout up at that big building? It's OK... same with me. I'm not out there. But I respect people's right to do it.

Either way, we need to come up with a better answer then doing nothing and just cutting... because in 2012 when the DNC is here and the GOP is still blocking Obama's jobs bill with nothing buy austerity plans on the table... and more and more people are losing their homes... more driven to poverty... I'd like to see what people are protesting "for" then.
It takes someone with vision and problem solving and a real understanding of the banking system, trade laws, corporate taxation to get a grip on what needs to change.

Most of us can see no further than our own personal situations. The average IQ is 103. Think about that. Most folks just dont' get the big picture. It takes someone of Jefferson's stature to come up with solutions. We are all waiting for the statesman to step forward - and is he/she exists amongst us - I DO NOT SEE THAT PERSON STEPPING FORWARD - on either side of the aisle. Where are our statesmen? Folks who are concerned about the "good of the country?"

We have to define the issues b/f we can solve them. I believe everyone in this country agrees on the same principles, regardless of education, status in life . . . everyone wants the same things.

1. JOBS: Let's figure out how to get off-shored and outsourced jobs back into this country. If that means changing trade laws, imposing additional taxees on imports, restructuring corporate taxes - WHATEVER - then let's get our Congressmen on the task. If that means electing new Congressman-FINE!

2. MANAGEABLE PAYBACK on CREDIT CARDS and LOANS: Let's change the banking regs that are currently allowing them to charge usury rates on credit cards and overly punitive fees on banking transactions.

3. A FRESH START WHERE NECESSARY: Let's re-work Bankruptcy laws. They were re-worked several years ago and now make it even HARDER for folks to declare bankruptcy. That was insane, especially in the wake of job loss all across this country!

4. AFFORDABLE HEALTHCARE for ALL: Let's start at the bottom and work our way up on this one. That is whole discussion that needs to come from the healthcare industry itself - not insurance companies and not legislators who are being pounded/feted by lobbyists. I could write a treatise on this one.

So why don't we start with these things and "hire" (vote in!) folks who are up to the task. Sadly, as far as Presidential candidates (including Obama) the field looks DISMAL. We need a person with a business background - NOT ANOTHER ATTORNEY - Good God.

And, as # 5, PROSECUTE THE BASTARDS WHO SET THIS ALL IN MOTION - we know who started this derivatives scheme. PROSECUTE THEM.

There are plenty of other items I could add to the list (eliminate subsidies for Oil Companies) . . . but at least that would give us a realistic place to start with demands for our legislators - and a way to get this country back on track - not just immediately - but for the future of generations to come.

I don't think this movement in Charlotte is gonna grow to the extent that sit-ins may in other cities. Why? B/c too many folks are dependent on jobs w/ financial entities here. The anger here is equal to that of folks in other regions of the country . . . but I think many here see the "culprits" as being much broader than simply banks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-15-2011, 10:21 AM

23,814 posts, read 34,670,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
It takes someone with vision and problem solving and a real understanding of the banking system, trade laws, corporate taxation to get a grip on what needs to change.

Most of us can see no further than our own personal situations. The average IQ is 103. Think about that. Most folks just dont' get the big picture. It takes someone of Jefferson's stature to come up with solutions. We are all waiting for the statesman to step forward - and is he/she exists amongst us - I DO NOT SEE THAT PERSON STEPPING FORWARD - on either side of the aisle. Where are our statesmen? Folks who are concerned about the "good of the country?"

We have to define the issues b/f we can solve them. I believe everyone in this country agrees on the same principles, regardless of education, status in life . . . everyone wants the same things.

1. JOBS: Let's figure out how to get off-shored and outsourced jobs back into this country. If that means changing trade laws, imposing additional taxees on imports, restructuring corporate taxes - WHATEVER - then let's get our Congressmen on the task. If that means electing new Congressman-FINE!

2. MANAGEABLE PAYBACK on CREDIT CARDS and LOANS: Let's change the banking regs that are currently allowing them to charge usury rates on credit cards and overly punitive fees on banking transactions.

3. A FRESH START WHERE NECESSARY: Let's re-work Bankruptcy laws. They were re-worked several years ago and now make it even HARDER for folks to declare bankruptcy. That was insane, especially in the wake of job loss all across this country!

4. AFFORDABLE HEALTHCARE for ALL: Let's start at the bottom and work our way up on this one. That is whole discussion that needs to come from the healthcare industry itself - not insurance companies and not legislators who are being pounded/feted by lobbyists. I could write a treatise on this one.

So why don't we start with these things and "hire" (vote in!) folks who are up to the task. Sadly, as far as Presidential candidates (including Obama) the field looks DISMAL. We need a person with a business background - NOT ANOTHER ATTORNEY - Good God.

And, as # 5, PROSECUTE THE BASTARDS WHO SET THIS ALL IN MOTION - we know who started this derivatives scheme. PROSECUTE THEM.

There are plenty of other items I could add to the list (eliminate subsidies for Oil Companies) . . . but at least that would give us a realistic place to start with demands for our legislators - and a way to get this country back on track - not just immediately - but for the future of generations to come.

I don't think this movement in Charlotte is gonna grow to the extent that sit-ins may in other cities. Why? B/c too many folks are dependent on jobs w/ financial entities here. The anger here is equal to that of folks in other regions of the country . . . but I think many here see the "culprits" as being much broader than simply banks.
+5

Excellent list, Ani. I'd like to add another. The jerks in the banks who, after receiving bailouts, refused to make business loans that small businesses used on a regular basis to keep themselves afloat, between ordering & receiving payment. This was common practice for making payrolls & the banks cut it off, driving countless small businesses out of business all over the country. Kings Mountain is an excellent example. There were several mills in town that were small, family-owned businesses. They were shuttered by this. Auxillary companies were also shuttered because of them failing. Unfortunately, when the banks did this it was not illegal, just morally bankrupt.

We need someone who has a realistic vision, not an agenda, that is moderate. Agendas got us into this mess & won't get us out.

Old 10-16-2011, 06:23 PM

34,088 posts, read 82,937,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southbound_295 View Post
+5 ... Excellent list, Ani. I'd like to add another....

We need someone who has a realistic vision, not an agenda, that is moderate.
Agendas got us into this mess & won't get us out.
Then the overly broad "party platform" like list you added to and just gave Ani the +5 for?
that has to go.

hth

Old 10-16-2011, 06:31 PM

359 posts, read 591,724 times
So what do these protestors want?

Old 10-16-2011, 06:38 PM

8,877 posts, read 13,910,103 times
Attention.

Old 10-16-2011, 06:49 PM

22,974 posts, read 65,505,372 times
They want a place to use bathroom. The porta potty at construction site nearby was taken away and the city doesnt provide them for any kind of protest Occupy Charlotte protesters have no place to "go" | WCNC.com Charlotte

Old 10-16-2011, 06:50 PM

841 posts, read 1,432,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
Then the overly broad "party platform" like list you added to and just gave Ani the +5 for?
that has to go.

hth

I you referring to Ani's list? I hardly see that as party platform at all.

Old 10-16-2011, 07:49 PM

6,151 posts, read 10,025,618 times
I'd vote for you ani... in a heartbeat. #5 is the confirmation (in my mind) of the Occupy movement. That's something directly tied to it. They have more then enough evidence to lock people up.

I really don't understand why someone can't just be mad about the direction we're going as a country and peacefully protest. It doesn't have to be "against BoA". To steal ani's point, most of them don't have the full grasp and they don't know how to solve it - but they know something needs to change... We know some are there for the wrong reasons (gimme sumthin free!) - granted. And the media will be sure to find them. But, I struggle with the logic to press them for "an agenda". Why? Let them be and see what evolves.

It's up to these wonderful elected clowns of ours to $#@! pull it together. Enough talking over and through people. So let's start by not getting all over a group of people breaking no laws.

Old 10-17-2011, 10:52 AM

35,879 posts, read 77,469,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeyKid View Post
I'd vote for you ani... in a heartbeat. #5 is the confirmation (in my mind) of the Occupy movement. That's something directly tied to it. They have more then enough evidence to lock people up.

I really don't understand why someone can't just be mad about the direction we're going as a country and peacefully protest. It doesn't have to be "against BoA". To steal ani's point, most of them don't have the full grasp and they don't know how to solve it - but they know something needs to change... We know some are there for the wrong reasons (gimme sumthin free!) - granted. And the media will be sure to find them. But, I struggle with the logic to press them for "an agenda". Why? Let them be and see what evolves.

It's up to these wonderful elected clowns of ours to $#@! pull it together. Enough talking over and through people. So let's start by not getting all over a group of people breaking no laws.
I want a message so our NC Senators and Congressmen know what we expect.

As for questions re: what I had written earlier - and those things being the basis for a "platform" or "agenda" . . . well . . . absolutely NOT a party platform . . .

I have come to see the Occupy movement as an "outcry" that Americans feel we have been "played" by politicians and big business and while they have recouped their losses (by charging us extra fees, laying off employees, withholding hiring new employees, and denying raises) . . . we are suffering and they continue to get bonuses at the top ranks, as well as robust severance packages.

I think that is especially true for here in Charlotte. People are angry here (and our UE is high!) but I think folks are reluctant to turn out b/c BofA employees so many people here.

As for legislators (and I included everyone in that - Senate, Congress, and White House) . . . folks feel like corporations were "looked after" but the average Joe on the street was not.

To change things, it is not enough to vote someone out of office and new folks in, although I do think that is a place to start w/ making our voices heard.

The people who win the next election need to understand exactly what it is We, the People want them to address and how we want it to be addressed. We are not idiots; and even if we are not "experts," we have access to so much info and ways to communicate that info . . . wh/ is why it was even a bigger insult when legislation was passed that "no one" read ahead of time and no one would clearly explain to the voters what the legislation even included. . . . That is what these politicians have relied on . . . that they can run something past us - what a put down. Plus the paternalistic attitude ("we know what is better for you than you know") has reached its limit with me, and doubtless millions of others. We DO know what we want our lives to be like; and we DO know what we want this country to be like, not just NOW but for our children and g/children.

So I hope a message does emerge that outlines what Americans want CHANGED. I think that the message is the same all over the country - here in Charlotte as well as any other city, in any other state.

It is not enough to promise us that if we have hope, someone will make some changes. We need to have a clear understanding what is gonna be changed - and how - so we get RESULTS.

I thnk the politicians (both sides of the aisle and in WH, too!) are counting on this movement fizzling out. The only way it is gonna have real meaning is if it continues, if folks clearly state their expectations for legislation and results (and trade law changes) . . . and it continues right up to Election Day, 2012.

I just have my doubts that folks are gonna stay focused that long in Charlotte, since so many rely on BofA for their salaries . . . but I may very well be wrong!

Last edited by brokensky; 10-17-2011 at 11:15 AM..

Old 10-17-2011, 11:08 AM

22,974 posts, read 65,505,372 times
Mod note

I am amazed how this thread has grown and remain a good civil discussion and on topic. Lets keep this thread about the Charlotte movement. There is tons of threads across this CD that meets discussion of OWS.

This movement lets keep political discussion in Politics forum, national in the General US forum, and this thread discussion on Charlotte and its related topic.
Since this a bank town and movement is related to that in this city lets keep discussion to that please.
Thanks
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte