Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-31-2011, 08:01 PM

33 posts, read 37,962 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Feltdesigner View Post
"Keep government hands off my medicare!" - Classic Tea Party line.

reminds me of the Iraq war supporters who screamed about Saddam having WMD's... most of them were in shock when they found out how he got them. LOL.
Their "God", Ronald Reagan had a lot to do with them getting weapons, as well as other Republicans.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-31-2011, 08:05 PM

33 posts, read 37,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
What "demands" are these Occupy folks making?

I thought they were all just camping out, carrying signs and complaining about rich folks not paying enuff taxes- and seem to be angry about life in general - but I didn't realize they had actually made any demands.

I didn't realize that the Tea Party had made any demands, either, unless you consider expecting politicians to balance the budget to be a demand.
One of the biggest complaints that I hear the "OWS" make is being ripped off by utility companies and high gas prices. They are angry because they believe there is no opportunity in america anymore, and that the top 1% couldn't care less about this country or the future generations. (Not my opinion, their's)

How many times in the modern history of this country has it had a balanced budget? We had a balanced budget a decade ago under a Democratic president. Not that I am excusing the current president, but he turned a deficit into a BIGGER deficit. I don't recall seeing a TEA party around when our last president turned a SURPLUS into a DEFICIT.

Since I am pragmatic and moderate, not partisan and ideological, I support neither of these movements, but they things look, OWS greatly outnumbers the TEA parties, and historically, revolutions begin with young people, not senior citizens.

Old 11-01-2011, 05:33 AM

22,974 posts, read 65,505,372 times
Charlotte Mecklenburg police officials said since the occupy started on Oct. 1. The Occupy Charlotte movement has cost them almost $105,000. That amounts to about $1,700 on an average, quiet day, but much more on the weekends when there are larger protests with sometimes hundreds of people.

Old 11-01-2011, 05:39 AM

183 posts, read 383,758 times
Ugh. ENOUGH WITH THIS CRAP!

Old 11-01-2011, 05:50 AM

35,879 posts, read 77,469,759 times
I have an idea. Why don't the occupy folks focus their energy on helping the homeless, many of whom are homeless b/c of the economic issues that the occupy movement supposedly is trying to draw attention to.

Take all the energy and work with local agencies to set up a soup kitchen somewhere, or to volunteer to help in soup kitchens and homeless shelters already here in Charlotte.

Take the message to the people in the streets . . . not just take the message to the streets. Do something positive while getting the message out. Help someone while protesting. Instead of littering and causing extra cost to the city, why not help make it a better place for those who are suffering? or better yet, improve the situation for everyone who lives here? Maybe by holding hands and showing that the only way to pull out of this economic mess is by helping each other, the occupy movement will actually have a lasting, positive effect.

Old 11-01-2011, 06:12 AM

15,355 posts, read 12,644,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
I have an idea. Why don't the occupy folks focus their energy on helping the homeless, many of whom are homeless b/c of the economic issues that the occupy movement supposedly is trying to draw attention to.

Take all the energy and work with local agencies to set up a soup kitchen somewhere, or to volunteer to help in soup kitchens and homeless shelters already here in Charlotte.

Take the message to the people in the streets . . . not just take the message to the streets. Do something positive while getting the message out. Help someone while protesting. Instead of littering and causing extra cost to the city, why not help make it a better place for those who are suffering? or better yet, improve the situation for everyone who lives here? Maybe by holding hands and showing that the only way to pull out of this economic mess is by helping each other, the occupy movement will actually have a lasting, positive effect.
it would have a lasting effect but it doesn't address the real issue/frustration.

There are already people who help the homeless and volunteer but that doesn't address the frustration people have with the way things are in America.

Protesting corporatism that is passed off as capitalism isn't expensive and $105,000 is a drop in the bucket IMO. They spend more than that on job searches.

Old 11-01-2011, 06:20 AM

35,879 posts, read 77,469,759 times
Quote:
it would have a lasting effect but it doesn't address the real issue/frustration.

There are already people who help the homeless and volunteer but that doesn't address the frustration people have with the way things are in America.

Protesting corporatism that is passed off as capitalism isn't expensive and $105,000 is a drop in the bucket IMO. They spend more than that on job searches.
Well, no offense, Felt, (cause I do understand your point) but that is your and my tax money that is being spent - and our budget is already in the red. I don't think the average guy on the street - "part of the 99%" - really intended for his/her taxes to go up due to protests. I mean - what is there positive about THAT?

Why don't we figure out a way to make this protest something that creates has a positive outcome in the community? If it really is representative of the "99%" - then that is you and me, right? The least that should be done is to create a Manifesto with actionable outcomes.

To me, this movement had potential at one point, b/c people were coming together. There is power in numbers, but it becomes a floundering, meaningless whinefest if there is no expressed end goal.

This is especially true if the cost for the "whinefest" ends up accomplishing nothing but adding to the financial burden of the very people (the "99%") who were attempting to call attention to their plight.

Old 11-01-2011, 06:20 AM

183 posts, read 383,758 times
Quote:

Than you can provide the next $105K out of your pocket. I, for one, am not okay with MY hard earned taxpayer money being used on this. Unless the CMPD are going to start bashing heads (yes, literally), then use my money elsewhere.

Old 11-01-2011, 06:24 AM

1,259 posts, read 1,584,100 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marqa1115 View Post
One of the biggest complaints that I hear the "OWS" make is being ripped off by utility companies and high gas prices. They are angry because they believe there is no opportunity in america anymore, and that the top 1% couldn't care less about this country or the future generations. (Not my opinion, their's)

How many times in the modern history of this country has it had a balanced budget? We had a balanced budget a decade ago under a Democratic president. Not that I am excusing the current president, but he turned a deficit into a BIGGER deficit. I don't recall seeing a TEA party around when our last president turned a SURPLUS into a DEFICIT.

Since I am pragmatic and moderate, not partisan and ideological, I support neither of these movements, but they things look, OWS greatly outnumbers the TEA parties, and historically, revolutions begin with young people, not senior citizens.
Really? Really! I'm not sure where your getting your news, but the OWS, has a long way to go to match the tea party in size and scope. The tea party raised up. swept tons of republicans out of office in the primary elections, and then sent record number of democrats packing in the general election. They are still there mad as hell, and getting ready to do it again when 2012 roles around.

Meanwhile the occupy wall street crap was started by people from acorn. Its a ruse. Seriously you have a few people camping out in tents and a few hundred more on the weekend marching, and they want to claim they are the 99 percent. I don't think so.

Old 11-01-2011, 06:30 AM

22,974 posts, read 65,505,372 times
I thought Charlotte had ordinance that a permit had to be obtain to hold a protest.
If so how much is permit and when does it expire?

Protesters said there was no need for police at their encampment. “This is a very kind, very mellow, extremely non-violent demonstration,” said one demonstrator.

Councilman Andy Dulin wants leaders to hold a special session before the election next week to talk about an ordinance that would prohibit camping on public property owned by the city.
This was before a US Judge order a block on Nashville attempt of a curfew.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte