Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-28-2011, 07:21 AM

763 posts, read 821,819 times

Advertisements

I support a peaceful protest or demonstration anywhere. But, I hope they are cleaning up the crap off of the public grounds and the city is not giving them porta potties since they weren't given to the Teaparty crowd. As long as they don't totally trash the area and it doesn't cost me a penny, I don't care.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-28-2011, 07:27 AM

15,355 posts, read 12,642,973 times
Don't care what the TeaParty did or didn't get... some of those TeaParty folk are also at these demonstrations.

I would think people would want porta potties... learn from the last demonstration and make it easier to clean up. Denying sanitation while demanding cleanliness seems counterproductive.

Old 10-28-2011, 07:34 AM

22,974 posts, read 65,505,372 times
City officials say they're not required to allow restroom facilities on city property for demonstrations.
Also from this article it appears they have trouble with the leader of movement.
Read more: Occupy Charlotte founder resists efforts to oust him | CharlotteObserver.com & The Charlotte Observer Newspaper (http://www.charlotteobserver.com/2011/10/21/2712248/rifts-threaten-occupy-charlottes.html#ixzz1c5DOt1HA - broken link)

and Two protesters arrested for walking on Charlotte street (http://www.charlotteobserver.com/2011/10/23/2715580/two-protesters-arrested-after.html - broken link)

Old 10-28-2011, 02:33 PM

14,688 posts, read 26,609,285 times
I drove past there at 6 am today. Honked my horn for a while to show my support!

Old 10-28-2011, 04:21 PM

359 posts, read 591,679 times
I fully support all of those who wish to exercise their 1st amendment right here in Charlotte

The only issue I have is the failure to recognize that there are regulations to this free speech. Time, place, and manner can be regulated to a certain degree.

timeplacemannertest

Old 10-29-2011, 07:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Feltdesigner View Post
Don't care what the TeaParty did or didn't get... some of those TeaParty folk are also at these demonstrations.

I would think people would want porta potties... learn from the last demonstration and make it easier to clean up. Denying sanitation while demanding cleanliness seems counterproductive.
The city could use fine monies collected. The TeaParty demonstrations were denied porta potties. Demonstrations are a act of freedom, just don't crap in the grass unless you pick it up with a plastic bag.

I would agree with the city designing and placing signs in public areas depicting a human bending over picking up crap with a bag as they do for pets.

Old 10-29-2011, 07:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnyKayak View Post
City officials say they're not required to allow restroom facilities on city property for demonstrations.
Also from this article it appears they have trouble with the leader of movement.
Read more: Occupy Charlotte founder resists efforts to oust him | CharlotteObserver.com & The Charlotte Observer Newspaper (http://www.charlotteobserver.com/2011/10/21/2712248/rifts-threaten-occupy-charlottes.html#ixzz1c5DOt1HA - broken link)

and Two protesters arrested for walking on Charlotte street (http://www.charlotteobserver.com/2011/10/23/2715580/two-protesters-arrested-after.html - broken link)

It would be priceless to hear these two explain their interpretation of the purpose and expectations of the demonstration.

Old 10-29-2011, 08:05 AM

14,688 posts, read 26,609,285 times
I wish they would arrest more people for impeding traffic. They could make a killing arresting these thugs, punks and a**holes on Independence and Idlewild.

Old 10-31-2011, 11:14 AM

33 posts, read 37,960 times
[quote=anifani821;21219169]What "demands" are these Occupy folks making?

I thought they were all just camping out, carrying signs and complaining about rich folks not paying enuff taxes- and seem to be angry about life in general - but I didn't realize they had actually made any demands.

I didn't realize that the Tea Party had made any demands, either, unless you consider expecting politicians to balance the budget to be a demand.[/QUOTE

One of the biggest complaints that I hear the "OWS" make is being ripped off by utility companies and high gas prices. They are angry because they believe there is no opportunity in america anymore, and that the top 1% couldn't care less about this country or the future generations. (Not my opinion, their's)

How many times in the modern history of this country has it had a balanced budget? We had a balanced budget a decade ago under a Democratic president. Not that I am excusing the current president, but he turned a deficit into a BIGGER deficit. I don't recall seeing a TEA party around when our last president turned a SURPLUS into a DEFICIT.

Since I am pragmatic and moderate, not partisan and ideological, I support neither of these movements, but they things look, OWS greatly outnumbers the TEA parties, and historically, revolutions begin with young people, not senior citizens.

Old 10-31-2011, 12:08 PM

15,355 posts, read 12,642,973 times
"Keep government hands off my medicare!" - Classic Tea Party line.

reminds me of the Iraq war supporters who screamed about Saddam having WMD's... most of them were in shock when they found out how he got them. LOL.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte