Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-23-2011, 03:52 PM

Location: Some got six month some got one solid. But me and my buddies all got lifetime here
4,555 posts, read 10,409,746 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mennc View Post
Yet another caring person- ya'll enjoy Thanksgiving, I have a life to attend to.
Well that hurt my feelings.

Old 11-23-2011, 04:09 PM

515 posts, read 1,037,174 times
Charlotte is fine, but there is no magic here. I'd move back up north or west for the right job...that's the beauty or being a renter...

Old 11-23-2011, 04:35 PM

222 posts, read 550,370 times
Quote:
I have recently come in contact with people who have moved here from other places that don't like it here in NC. One had lost their job, another his wife passed, tons of divorces after relocating and was wondering if people were moving back after such a horrible event or staying put.
Hmm. My guess would be that, because so many people are moving to North Carolina from other places, a lot of those moves just aren't going to end up going as planned. I don't think there's anything specific about North Carolina that's causing this. If people were moving to Boise, Idaho, you'd also find that some of them weren't so lucky seeing their plans to fruition. But NC is a hotspot for incoming transplants because of "all the jobs here," so naturally some of those incoming transplants won't be happy. I put that in quotes because we have people come onto this forum all the time and excitedly tell us that they're moving to Charlotte to find one of the many jobs that are supposedly available in this community. They are usually told to make sure they actually have a job before they start packing up the U-Haul.

Old 11-23-2011, 04:56 PM

15 posts, read 49,433 times
Well, I can think of nothing better than a a new place with new surroundings to start out a new in life. Is it really true that new residents think they will find employment in the area verses the bleek picture they have where they live now? So, if there aren't any jobs then what is it that really drives people to move to the area? Could it be that the area offers some opportunity veses no opportunity as to where they live now? Maybe it's the vibrant growing economy and all of the new construction that peaks their interest. What am I missing with all of this?

Old 11-23-2011, 06:08 PM

9,116 posts, read 17,730,190 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DMG721 View Post
OP, you need to describe exactly what happened to you in order to receive any meaningful comments. Your post basically consists of, "I moved to Charlotte and now my life sucks!" But we have no idea what exactly happened to cause your life to suck. As such, you're basically going to get a series of defensive responses until you actually tell your story, because what people around here are hearing from your post is "Charlotte caused my life to suck!" And the people on this board who live in Charlotte with non-sucky lives are naturally confused and irritated that you would imply that living in Charlotte will necessarily equal suckitude.
+1.

To the OP-> Its pretty rude to infer that this place is the cause of your problems when you don't even spell out in detail what happened.

Wonder if he asked the question to get an answer he WANTED to hear or did he want the truth? ... Unreal expectations?

Old 11-23-2011, 07:12 PM

35,879 posts, read 77,506,170 times
I think any move is probably gonna "turn one's world upside down" at least for a bit. Even if you are excited about the new place you have moved to, moving is hell unless you don't own anything, lol. It always takes a little time to get settled in - even in near paradise.

I have lived in one spot that I (and my family) were certain was the Seventh Circle of Hell. Thank God it was only on a short term assignment (a year). Things returned to normal as soon as we saw that spot of green earth in the mirror. It did seem everything "went wrong" during that year, from weird accidents to weird extended family matters . . . But the thing is . . . we knew it was temporary; it is not a place we would have "chosen" - and b/c everyone else knew we were "temporary," that probably had some effect on how we were accepted into the community. But no doubt about it - that place was not a good match for us and decades later, I can assure you, it still isn't, lol.

If you are forced into moving somewhere (job transfer or temporary job assignment) . . . you do what you have to do. But choosing to move somewhere and then still finding yourself dissatisfied - that may be a problem that geography isn't gonna solve.

What is that phrase that used to be so popular - maybe in the 80s? "Wherever you go, there YOU are."

Old 11-23-2011, 08:02 PM

1,453 posts, read 5,150,202 times
To The OP...You may think these responses are rude, but you asked for it!

Old 11-24-2011, 12:11 AM

2,603 posts, read 5,022,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
What is that phrase that used to be so popular - maybe in the 80s? "Wherever you go, there YOU are."
This one is still popular in AA... so I'm told.

Old 11-24-2011, 12:55 AM

37,882 posts, read 41,970,495 times
Quote:
Whoa, whoa- I never said it was myself who had their life turned upside down. I have recently come in contact with people who have moved here from other places that don't like it here in NC. One had lost their job, another his wife passed, tons of divorces after relocating and was wondering if people were moving back after such a horrible event or staying put.
FYI DMG thanks for the support!
I don't see much of that being the result of living in NC itself, except maybe a job loss and that's happening everywhere these days. All of those life events you mention happen any and everywhere.

Don't think I really see the point.

Old 11-24-2011, 10:33 PM

717 posts, read 2,809,285 times
Personally, I love Charlotte. We are hoping to relocate to the area--sooner rather than later.

For now, I live in one of the "relocation capitals" of the USA....Florida. I've been here 10 years now and I would pretty much bet that the number of people who move into "paradise" here and come to hate it within a very short time, far outnumbers the number of people who move to Charlotte and think life gets turned upside down. I would seriously bet that at least half of the newcomers stay here a year or two and go back home or somewhere in between.

Living in Florida is not like being on vacation here, nor is it some place you can move to and make it like it was where you came from. I am sure the same is true in Charlotte. People don't spend enough time "really looking at" the place they are choosing to go. If one is expecting it to be the same as what they are leaving behind, they are sorely mistaken.

Unfortunately, when those same people up and go back home, they discover that home isn't what they remembered it to be either.

Moral of the story: Attitude Is Everything! Change It & Change Your Life!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte