Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-06-2011, 08:10 PM

84 posts, read 152,991 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianH1970 View Post
This went from chicken sandwiches to Nazis and communists.

Just think about that for a minute.

Hahaha agreed! So true.

Old 12-07-2011, 03:41 AM

7,084 posts, read 12,412,293 times

Jonah Mowry: 'Whats Goin on..' - YouTube

^^^There are soooooo many stories like this young man's; too many to count. Yet, somehow (someway) so called "Christians" (like the bigwigs at Chick-Fil-A) feels that it is perfectly "OK" to make public their statements against homosexuals (some feel that it is "OK" to do the same on a public forum).

The world needs to wake up and realize that anti-homosexuality is one of the few remaining (accepted) forms of hatred/bigotry left on this planet. But that's the problem; bigots honestly don't see themselves as being a "bigot". Why? Because their stance is their "truth"; their "reality". In their minds, their "truth/reality" can't be "wrong": until of course it hits home; and it's their child that is wanting to die because of our dated/twisted morality.

The following maybe a little off-topic, but it does apply to the overall topic of bigots not seeing themselves as being such. Here recently (not far from where I used to live) in Eastern Kentucky, an interracial couple was banned from attending an all white church. Here are some quotes from the former pastor who proposed the ban:

The vote was brought to order after former pastor Melvin Thompson proposed someone take a stand earlier this year after the couple came to the church to pray a few times , but the priest says he isn’t racist at all. "I am not racist,” Thompson tells the Associated Press. “I will tell you that. I am not prejudiced against any race of people, have never in my lifetime spoke evil.”

About 25 parishioners left the church in lieu of voting for or against Thompson’s measure, but he still insists it isn’t a matter of race.
“That’s what this is being portrayed as, but it is not,” he swears. Instead, he says, the move "was not intended to judge the salvation of anyone, but is intended to promote greater unity among the church body and the community we serve."

Stella’s mother, Cathy, however, thinks that Thompson might be a bit confused. When she confronted the pastor over his gripe, she says he responded that "The best thing that Stella can do is take her boyfriend back to where he came from."
Kentucky church bans interracial marriage — RT

^^^Again, this is a PERFECT example of how racist folks will never admit that they are racist. That just won't happen. This is why such folks have to be "called out" (because they are NOT gonna stand up and say "here I am"). With that said, if you "dislike/disagree" with homosexuality; then you ARE a homophobe. You won't admit it; which is why guys like me call you out.

IMO, there is not much wrong with being a "homophobe"; most folks are. However, when homophobia causes a young man (see the video above) to wish harm on himself simply because of his sexual orientation, America WE HAVE A PROBLEM!!! We need to get better at teaching free love and equality. We are not going to hate the gay away nor pray the gay away. The gay is here to stay; learn to love and accept. It's not hard to do folks. It's really not.

As for Chick-Fil-A; I'll eat there again when they learn the true spirit of the Christ-consciousness; which is love.

Last edited by urbancharlotte; 12-07-2011 at 03:54 AM..

Old 12-07-2011, 03:45 AM

21,087 posts, read 29,366,089 times
Just wondering why people are "disappointed" with CFA stand? The place is closed on Sunday and their conservative leanings are or should hve been well known. Have others just been in denial that the business is way far right and ultra conservative?
What's next, shock when Wally World starts to "ban" certain music?

Old 12-07-2011, 04:14 AM

2,353 posts, read 4,671,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zthatzmanz28 View Post
Just wondering why people are "disappointed" with CFA stand? The place is closed on Sunday and their conservative leanings are or should hve been well known. Have others just been in denial that the business is way far right and ultra conservative?
What's next, shock when Wally World starts to "ban" certain music?
For me, their conservative leanings weren't known, their religious leanings were. The two are often conflated, but they don't always necessarily go hand-in-hand. I know many liberal Christians, who are dismayed when others assume they know their politics. Quite a few of the gay people I know are Christian.

Old 12-07-2011, 04:26 AM

2,603 posts, read 5,042,171 times
While I abhor their anti-gay stances, and hardly ever eat there unless I'm doing work on the UNCC campus where they have an express line, I do admire any large business that maintains reasonable hours and closes one day a week. Regardless of the reasons for it, a guaranteed day off can only improve the morale and quality of life of their employees.

Old 12-07-2011, 04:46 AM

351 posts, read 635,421 times
As a Christian, we are taught to love all God's children. We are to use discernment, not judgment against one another.

Urbancharlotte, I would wholeheartedly welcome you into my church. Or maybe we could sit down and read God's word together. Christ died for everyone and all we have to do is receive Him as our savior to be saved.

But God's word plainly states it is sin. One example: "If a man also lie with mankind, as he lieth with a woman, both of them have committed an abomination: they shall surely be put to death; their blood shall be upon them" (Leviticus 20:13).

Your sin is no greater than other acts of sin. Sin is sin, period. And my love for you has not changed. How much do I love you? I don't even know you but I will pray for you.

Chick-Fil-A supporting anti-gay organizations is not hatred against homosexuals. Its supporting God's word. If I see someone doing an action that I know will harm them greatly, I will try to stop them. That's what I'd want them to do for me.

Old 12-07-2011, 04:50 AM

16,427 posts, read 22,275,095 times
I'm not a fast food fan, but I'll make a point of eating there just to support their position. Good for them.

Old 12-07-2011, 04:56 AM

Location: Some got six month some got one solid. But me and my buddies all got lifetime here
4,555 posts, read 10,438,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbancharlotte View Post
IMO, there is not much wrong with being a "homophobe"; most folks are. However, when homophobia causes a young man (see the video above) to wish harm on himself simply because of his sexual orientation, America WE HAVE A PROBLEM!!! We need to get better at teaching free love and equality. We are not going to hate the gay away nor pray the gay away. The gay is here to stay; learn to love and accept. It's not hard to do folks. It's really not.
I think we need to get better at accepting that we're a nation of free thinkers and that we don't have to, nor should we, be forced to agree with certain lifestyles or interact with certain races of people or follow certain trains of thought. That so long as nobody force feeds their beliefs on me or nobody is getting hurt in the process, they can go about living their lives thinking and believing as they choose.

You can teach love and equality all you want, but unless it becomes some form of brainwashing folks are going to start forming their own opinions based on what they know and experience (a God given "gift", if you will). I shouldn't HAVE to agree with a gay lifestyle, nor should I have to agree with you marrying a white woman. And if I do, then it's from the heart and not out of obligation or some fear that I'm going to be demonized.

Like blacks against whites, I'm sure there's a segment of gays who disagree with my straight lifestyle. If that's what they believe, more power to them. I don't care and I shouldn't be made to care.

It's like you guys are freethinkerphobes. Does it really matter to you if a total stranger agrees or disagrees with your marriage? Does it really matter if your friends do? The only people it SHOULD matter to is you and your wife. That's it. Whatever anyone else thinks, let them think it and good for them regardless of what they believe.

It's like those occupy threads. We disagreed all over the place over beliefs on that issue, but I don't hate a single person in those threads because of it. We all formed our opinions based on what we know and expressed them. Because if you want to look at a true bastion of hate, look no further than left vs. right. And I'll bet if I go through those occupy threads I can find a level of aggressiveness in you, me, and many others here.

My opinions of lifestyle are my own. Personally I disagree with the way Chik Fil A leans here but that's their right to. That doesn't mean because I choose to eat there that I'm supporting their cause or I hate gays. Like I said earlier, in every single thing we buy and use, somewhere along the way an organization is being supported that we don't agree with. We can't boycott everything.

Old 12-07-2011, 05:10 AM

7,084 posts, read 12,412,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ernest T Bass View Post
As a Christian, we are taught to love all God's children. We are to use discernment, not judgment against one another.

Urbancharlotte, I would wholeheartedly welcome you into my church. Or maybe we could sit down and read God's word together. Christ died for everyone and all we have to do is receive Him as our savior to be saved.

But God's word plainly states it is sin. One example: "If a man also lie with mankind, as he lieth with a woman, both of them have committed an abomination: they shall surely be put to death; their blood shall be upon them" (Leviticus 20:13).

Your sin is no greater than other acts of sin. Sin is sin, period. And my love for you has not changed. How much do I love you? I don't even know you but I will pray for you.

Chick-Fil-A supporting anti-gay organizations is not hatred against homosexuals. Its supporting God's word. If I see someone doing an action that I know will harm them greatly, I will try to stop them. That's what I'd want them to do for me.
Here is another quote from the "Good book" that talks about the "End times". Observe:

I saw when he opened the sixth seal, and there was a great earthquake. The sun became black as sackcloth made of hair, and the whole moon became as blood. The stars of the sky fell to the earth, like a fig tree dropping its unripe figs when it is shaken by a great wind. The sky was removed like a scroll when it is rolled up. Every mountain and island were moved out of their places
Revelations 6:12-14

Let's forget about the black Sun and the bloody Moon for a second. What's up with the stars (heavenly bodies that are millions of times larger than the Earth) falling to the Earth? Could it be that our bible authors were applying their limited knowledge, culture, and morality into the verses of their "holy book"? Could it be that folks (nearly 2,000 years later) are still using this bronze-age ideology to justify their 21st century hatred/disapproval of a certain demographic?

This maybe a little too heavy for this particular forum, so I'll stop here. Let's just agree to disagree my friend and move on shall we.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianH1970 View Post
I think we need to get better at accepting that we're a nation of free thinkers
As long as your "freethinking" doesn't limit the rights of nor does it offend others' rights to freethinking/expression; then there isn't a problem.

Last edited by urbancharlotte; 12-07-2011 at 05:21 AM..

Old 12-07-2011, 05:26 AM

21,087 posts, read 29,366,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlotteGal View Post
For me, their conservative leanings weren't known, their religious leanings were. The two are often conflated, but they don't always necessarily go hand-in-hand. I know many liberal Christians, who are dismayed when others assume they know their politics. Quite a few of the gay people I know are Christian.

In my 51 years I have yet to find a physical church that is based on human rights as opposed to the "word is law" POV. 99% of those who lean heavily towards religion (I say religion as opposed to God) are ultra conservative.

Familar with Tony Campolo? I have searched for a chuch like his, but am pretty sure it doesn't exist. As the prostitute said when Campolo had a birthday party for her in the greasy spoon diner at 3:00 A.M.--

I WOULD GO TO A CHURCH LIKE THAT....

On topic, CFA has the right to operate as it sees fit within the law--we have a right to eat where we want. Don't hate the player--hate the GAME?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte