Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-10-2012, 09:38 AM

2,353 posts, read 4,658,635 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeytonC View Post
After reading a few more pages, I'd like to publicly invite the OP to lunch sometime and give you an opportunity to tell a southern man some of your views in person. It would be really neat if you would repeat some of the stuff you typed in this thread. Lunch is on me.
Quote:
Originally Posted by greenpapayas View Post
The fact that I have views that are contrary to your's makes you threaten me here, is that part of your Southern culture too? I would have no issues saying this to your face because I am that kind of a person who calls a spade a spade. Besides, the fact that you come online to threaten someone and feel better about it makes me feel that you are just another "internet tough guy".

Or are you a psychopath who goes around killing people just because they have an opinion that's different from your's? Is that part of your Southern culture too, it's people like that are a typical representative of the Southern intolerant racist bully(although only online). It would be really great to see what you could do to me because I would have no hesitation to call a spade a spade in front of anyone, there's not a lick you can do about it internet "tough guy".
greenpapayas - Your reading of PeytonC's post as a threat and indicator he might kill you ( ) reveal more about your mindset than almost anything else you've posted here. Why not take him up on his offer? I saw it as him calling you out for saying ridiculous things about Charlotte and its denizens. Would you really say the same things you've posted here in person, out loud? If so - Butter was right in keeping you out!

You can take this opportunity to sit down and share your perspective, person-to-person. THAT kind of thing will lead to more understanding and less racism - bloviating on a message board will get you nowhere, quick.

I do hope you meet up! Person-to-person, eye-to-eye is where real connection, and change, happens.

Plus: Free lunch!!

If you shrink from this, you might take a look at whether you believe in what you're posting, or if you're just letting off steam by finding something wrong on the internet.

I know racism in Charlotte is real. I know some people here dismiss you because of your brown skin. I also know more of Charlotte is accepting, welcoming, and celebratory of diversity than ever before in our history.

Meet PeytonC for lunch. Shake hands. Sit down, and share your journeys. Make a connection, rather than burning yet another bridge.

Old 05-10-2012, 09:43 AM

1,176 posts, read 2,690,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by westcoastbabe View Post
Hey Mrdkb....They actually think that places like "Tempo", "WineUp" are quintessential places that makeup Charlotte's nightlife.....If they think those places are happening, "they really need to get out more"...Seriously.
I know. Prior to going to these places I was told - on THIS forum to check them out. By the usual folks. So I took the advice. Wineup: some raggedy couches, no crowd, $5 to get in waste of time.

Tempo's - older, very unattractive "crowd" in an awful looking place. Again I was advised to go there. Just like I was advised to go to the House of Jazz.

Old 05-10-2012, 10:14 AM

8,402 posts, read 24,250,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by westcoastbabe View Post
Good info, but that doesn't answer my question, so...

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrdkb View Post
I know. Prior to going to these places I was told - on THIS forum to check them out. By the usual folks. So I took the advice. Wineup: some raggedy couches, no crowd, $5 to get in waste of time.

Tempo's - older, very unattractive "crowd" in an awful looking place. Again I was advised to go there. Just like I was advised to go to the House of Jazz.
What are clubs that you feel represent Charlotte? So far all I've seen is people bashing clubs, but no one has offered any better suggestions.

BTW, mrdkb-are you looking for eye candy? Your "very unattractive" remark says a lot about you.

Old 05-10-2012, 10:34 AM

1,177 posts, read 2,242,252 times
Quote:
As said earlier, you are just another typical intolerant Southern White guy(by your own admission) who doesn't believe that people are racially segregated and discriminated against in this world, you perhaps think it's your property and so no such thing happens. The reality however is different, and I am not the only one that spoke about this incident, quite a few people here apart from those on the internet expressed this opinion. Since you can't accept this, you accuse me of being a coward, hahaha. What exactly are you so brave about btw, sitting here and calling others cowards???
Greenpapayas, I've read your posts on this thread and I have an alternative theory: Maybe the bouncer just thought you were a jerk and didn't want you in the club?

If you carry yourself in person the way you have in this forum, it would be very, very easy for the bouncer to pick up on your 'tude. Maybe you should try being less sensitive and more friendly to the next bouncer you encounter?

Old 05-10-2012, 10:46 AM

1,177 posts, read 2,242,252 times
Quote:
The fact that I have views that are contrary to your's makes you threaten me here, is that part of your Southern culture too? I would have no issues saying this to your face because I am that kind of a person who calls a spade a spade. Besides, the fact that you come online to threaten someone and feel better about it makes me feel that you are just another "internet tough guy".

Or are you a psychopath who goes around killing people just because they have an opinion that's different from your's? Is that part of your Southern culture too, it's people like that are a typical representative of the Southern intolerant racist bully(although only online). It would be really great to see what you could do to me because I would have no hesitation to call a spade a spade in front of anyone, there's not a lick you can do about it internet "tough guy".
Thanks for posting this response. Now everyone reading this thread can place your posts in their proper context: you are hyper-sensitive and a little nuts.

The way normal people interact:

Person #1:
"Hey, let's meet in person for lunch. I'll buy."

Person #2:
Accept - "Sounds good. When & where?"
-OR-
Reject - "No thanks. I don't meet people in person that I only know from internet message boards."

The way a nutty, hypersensitive person reacts:
"Are you some kind of serial killer? No, you can't eat my liver for lunch!"

Old 05-10-2012, 10:46 AM

1,110 posts, read 1,975,673 times
From what I've read in these posts, it just seems to me that Butter tries to present this Studio 54 image in which people get turned away really for no apparent reason other than just being discriminatory! I've heard that back in the day Studio 54 used to have policies where you had to be clean shaven and even if you did follow the dress code to the tee, you still got turned away! I've even heard stories where newlywed couples went there and one of the newlyweds got in and the other didn't, now that's absurd! I doubt if I would ever want to go to that place if they are going to be that snobby! What kind of reputation does Halo have?

Old 05-10-2012, 11:32 AM

15,355 posts, read 12,668,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by amploud View Post
Thanks for posting this response. Now everyone reading this thread can place your posts in their proper context: you are hyper-sensitive and a little nuts.

The way normal people interact:

Person #1:
"Hey, let's meet in person for lunch. I'll buy."

Person #2:
Accept - "Sounds good. When & where?"
-OR-
Reject - "No thanks. I don't meet people in person that I only know from internet message boards."

The way a nutty, hypersensitive person reacts:
"Are you some kind of serial killer? No, you can't eat my liver for lunch!"
really? Are you really trying to act like the invite was sincere? LOL... you guys are a funny bunch.

Old 05-10-2012, 01:54 PM

219 posts, read 595,581 times
Quote:
I went to Club Butter tonight and was denied entry, turns out that this was a fairly common phenomenon there as people of color are regularly denied entry. I have found a link online that speaks about the same:

Woman alleges Club Butter is racist, attorneys deny claim - WBTV 3 News, Weather, Sports, and Traffic for Charlotte, NC

There's also a facebook page regarding the same thing happening to someone else. Seems like Charlotte is a place where people are only allowed to enter certain places based on the color of their skin, quite a pathetic thing for a city that is hosting the next DNC and ranked as the fastest growing city in US right now(source:Yahoo).

Btw, 3 people behind me who were Caucasian were allowed entry immediately. I thought US moved past the pre 60's era long ago, looks like the South alone was stuck in the past.

I am brown by the way.

I agree with you about some of the clubs in Charlotte being racist. I am an African-American originally from Winston-Salem and I moved to Charlotte to start Engineering school at UNCC.When the EpiCenter opened, me and a few of my friends were denied access to Suite and another club on the top floor (forgot the name of it). The first time the bouncer claimed it was because two of us had tennis shoes on, so it was no big deal, we just decided the next time not to wear tennis shoes. The second time we went we wore khaki pants with a polo tucked in and Sperrys. This time the bouncer told us that the club was too crowded, so we stepped back, then we observed him letting in four caucasian guys with shorts, baseball caps, and tennis shoes into the club. My friend went up to the bouncer and asked him why were they allowed to go in even though they didn't meet the "dress code," the bouncer just kept replying to him with "we don't want any trouble" and "leave before I call the cops." Instead of us causing a scene (because that is exactly what they want you to do) we just left and went to the bowling alley. Something similar also happened to me at the Howl at the Moon when it first opened. We don't carry ourselves as "thugs" or "hoodrats" and we did not want to cause any trouble, we just wanted to go to the new happening spot in town.

This happen more than 2 years ago, so I am not sure if it has changed or not at the Epicenter, but I believe this was just blatant racism. I am sure they let some ppl of color into these clubs in Charlotte, but they are careful not to let in "too many". I am pretty glad I found an Engineering job in Washington, DC b/c I have not encountered a situation like this in the DC/MD area AT ALL and many of the clubs here are much nicer and more prestigious than most of the clubs in Charlotte. I have never been to Butter or heard of it, but I am not surprised to hear this information. Sorry you had to go through that...

Old 05-10-2012, 02:02 PM

15,355 posts, read 12,668,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SmoothGuy View Post
I agree with you about some of the clubs in Charlotte being racist. I am an African-American originally from Winston-Salem and I moved to Charlotte to start Engineering school at UNCC.When the EpiCenter opened, me and a few of my friends were denied access to Suite and another club on the top floor (forgot the name of it). The first time the bouncer claimed it was because two of us had tennis shoes on, so it was no big deal, we just decided the next time not to wear tennis shoes. The second time we went we wore khaki pants with a polo tucked in and Sperrys. This time the bouncer told us that the club was too crowded, so we stepped back, then we observed him letting in four caucasian guys with shorts, baseball caps, and tennis shoes into the club. My friend went up to the bouncer and asked him why were they allowed to go in even though they didn't meet the "dress code," the bouncer just kept replying to him with "we don't want any trouble" and "leave before I call the cops." Instead of us causing a scene (because that is exactly what they want you to do) we just left and went to the bowling alley. Something similar also happened to me at the Howl at the Moon when it first opened. We don't carry ourselves as "thugs" or "hoodrats" and we did not want to cause any trouble, we just wanted to go to the new happening spot in town.
sounds very familiar....

Old 05-11-2012, 03:05 AM

3,869 posts, read 4,286,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Feltdesigner View Post
sounds very familiar....
Are some of you ignoring my previous post about this being an issue at many clubs in Houston, TX:

Getting Past the Bouncer - Page 1 - News - Houston - Houston Press

It's not just Charlotte, this is a prevelant practice in many other cities/clubs in America. Yes, it can occur at certain clubs in DC, sorry UNCC engineer, but even in DC you can't peel off black skin. I lived in DC area for a long time and one of the most places racist experiences in my life happened while working in Northern, VA - and this person was from New Jersey.

DC is a black mecca, it's 3x the size of Charlotte so there will be larger and more accepting venues. But if you think it can't or won't happen at certain venues in DC, you're kidding yourself. I have no problem with this discussion, but isolating Charlotte or acting as if though this is just a Charlotte issue is narrow-minded.

Denver:

Colorado Civil Rights Division pursues discrimination complaint at downtown Denver nightclub - The Denver Post

Chicago:

Chicago Club Accused Of Racism Over Dress Code : NPR

....on and on and on....just do a little research - these are just a few "reported " incidents. This stuff goes on everywhere in america. A better title or thread for the OP: Is racial profiling an issue with some clubs in America? My response: Absolutely, what rock have you been hiding under?

BTW, went to Deltas in uptown for a meeting with a client last night. Nice atmosphere, live entertainment and what I called up-scale soul food (tad pricey). Hint: you'll never have to worry about this issue there (not sure about baggy pants but being black will not be the problem), not a late night club/lounge but restaurant with bar...definitely recommend and seems a cool spot to unwind during happy hour.

Last edited by Big Aristotle; 05-11-2012 at 03:35 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte