Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-12-2012, 08:46 AM

373 posts, read 778,343 times

Advertisements

Well, it's like this.
The gay people's are gonna do what they wanna do regardless of the law.
I guess legalized gay marriage would just open the door for financial benefits and more social acceptance. The fact is, gay or not, people will do what they want to do in their homes regardless of the law and regardless of what country they reside in.

For some this issue is simple and for others it is complex on all kinds of levels, not just legal.
I think it is fair to say that the majority of the world is just not homosexual.
You can remove all religions out of the equation and I believe it is still fair to say the majority of the world is not and would not be homosexual.
If the minority is trying to change laws or social values on any subject that the majority just does not want, then that is just the way it is. It in no way means that the majority hates those in the minority.

I have spoke with many people on this subject, as I would believe most people on this forum have.
100% of those I have spoke on this subject with who voted for ammendment one or who supported it and just did not get out to vote, all say the same thing.
" I don't hate gay people nor do I have any wish to throw stones at them or anyone else.
I just believe marriage is intended to be between a man and a woman, and that is really all there is to it". This is the answer I get from everyone.

Old 05-12-2012, 08:54 AM

972 posts, read 2,442,919 times
All this to-do about who can get married! I think the biggest problem is not who can get married, but if the relationship is ready for marriage. Divorce, to me, is a huge problem and slap to the purpose and value of marriage. It has nothing to do (IMHO) with the race, orientation, age, etc. etc. of the partners. Marriage is a vow that should be forever. It irks me that sooooo much attention is focused on who is allowed to marry based on external factors. I am not proposing that governement have a hand in who is demined committed enough to wed. But, rather, that all this energy and media attention could have a better purpose if focused elsewhere.

Old 05-12-2012, 12:02 PM

1,452 posts, read 2,990,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagocubs View Post
FINALLY, WE RESOLVE TO URGE OUR CONGREGATION, WITH ALL OTHERS OF GOOD MORAL CONSCIENCE, TO OPPOSE THE PASSAGE OF SAID AMENDMENT AND VOTE NO ON MAY 8TH.
Thanks CC, I can agree with that. Still doesn't let the Muslims off though, even there may be a small minority. For the record, I'm in SC so didn't vote on it.

Glad to see some people here are civil, unlike Assville Native, who just spews hate toward anyone that doesn't agree with him/her.

And I'm still wondering why this thread is in the Charlotte forum. Sunny, what's up? On vacation again?

Old 05-12-2012, 12:12 PM

2,603 posts, read 5,017,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheesecracker View Post
Well, it's like this.
The gay people's are gonna do what they wanna do regardless of the law.
I guess legalized gay marriage would just open the door for financial benefits and more social acceptance. The fact is, gay or not, people will do what they want to do in their homes regardless of the law and regardless of what country they reside in.
What is your problem with social acceptance? And why should straight people be the only ones guaranteed the tax benefits that come with being married.

Quote:
I think it is fair to say that the majority of the world is just not homosexual.
The majority of the world is not white. THe majority of this nation is not black. The majority of the country doesn't play parchese. We don't make laws limiting their rights. We had a big battle over this many years ago.

Quote:
If the minority is trying to change laws or social values on any subject that the majority just does not want, then that is just the way it is. It in no way means that the majority hates those in the minority.
If those laws have no affect on the majority, while restricting the rights of the minority, then it is a form of hatred and bigotry. You can't speak out of both sides of your mouth.

Quote:
I have spoke with many people on this subject, as I would believe most people on this forum have.
100% of those I have spoke on this subject with who voted for ammendment one or who supported it and just did not get out to vote, all say the same thing.
" I don't hate gay people nor do I have any wish to throw stones at them or anyone else.
I just believe marriage is intended to be between a man and a woman, and that is really all there is to it". This is the answer I get from everyone.
I believe people shouldn't worship a imaginary man who lives in the sky. But I'm not pushing to ban religion. It's bigotry. And it's treating gays as if they were children.

Old 05-12-2012, 12:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by racewire20 View Post
I could not care less how some people want to live their lives, however I do care how it affects mine!
The watering down of morality in this country is leading to the dysfunctional crap we deal with daily!
I doesn't affect you one bit. If you don't like gay marriage, don't marry someone of the same sex. If your church is against it, they don't have to perform gay marriages.

It affects you in no way.

Old 05-12-2012, 12:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolf Howl View Post
You are talking about a majority of Americans and a majority of states in the union in that case, including California.
Not really. A majority of those who turned out to vote, sure.

Regardless, the majority can be wrong. It has many times in the past. And it is today.

Old 05-12-2012, 01:54 PM

441 posts, read 1,487,131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coped View Post
I doesn't affect you one bit. If you don't like gay marriage, don't marry someone of the same sex. If your church is against it, they don't have to perform gay marriages.

It affects you in no way.
Again, I don't care what you do with your life. What does matter to me is when the moral majority has to bend over backwards to accommodate the libaral minority. Hence politically correctness. Well, I'm getting tired of accommodating every liberal cause out there, so I'm voting for politically wrong!
For those of you complaining that it was about more than just gay marriage, it should have been packaged differently. The word is decisive. To vote any other way would have been against ones beliefs!

Old 05-12-2012, 02:06 PM

Quote:
Again, I don't care what you do with your life. What does matter to me is when the moral majority has to bend over backwards to accommodate the libaral minority. Hence politically correctness. Well, I'm getting tired of accommodating every liberal cause out there, so I'm voting for politically wrong!
For those of you complaining that it was about more than just gay marriage, it should have been packaged differently. The word is decisive. To vote any other way would have been against ones beliefs!
No one is asking anyone to bend over backwards to accommodate anything. It was the anti-gay crowd that put the amendment on the ballot, that cost the taxpayers thousands. That worded the debate.

It doesn't affect my wife and I one bit. And it doesn't affect you one bit. It's the majority that bent over backwards to take away rights from a minority that had already been taken away.

Old 05-12-2012, 02:12 PM

23,813 posts, read 34,657,307 times
Quote:
I like to read laws before voting on them. The title was deliberately deceptive. It went after civil unions & domestic partnership, formerly known as shacking up. The latter includes elderly people who can not afford to marry. Sorry that the old people bother you so much, but this has gone on for decades because widows lose their social security checks if they remarry.

Old 05-12-2012, 03:23 PM

6,957 posts, read 8,486,926 times
NC backlash … I’m willing to believe that it will occur in a “not so fast” way. Stereotyped thinking tends to happen on all sides of an issue. Here’s a scenario that maybe some of the supporters of Amendment One may have failed to consider.

Picture this…

Two married Gay men in one of those areas of the Hamptons where the homes are half-scale Biltmore houses. They have their two surrogate children at a cost of $100,000 a pop. They are discussing creating a new clothing line and debating where to locate a factory. One mentions NC and the old Haines plant where he can remember it stating that his old underwear was once made in North Carolina. Perhaps, it might be a good idea to locate the factory there, where there might be a workforce that could do the job.

The other guy pipes up, “Oh, North Carolina”, “I don’t think so!” “Who would want to be running a factory where the majority of the workers hate your guts!” “Do you know what those people are like?” Think of an old Jerry Springer episode where two 25 year old fat broads in granny-like dresses are fighting over some skinny 30 year old guy with 3 teeth in his mouth!” They’re one step above the people you see in “The Hills Have Eyes.” “Welcome to “BillyGrahamcrackerville!” Maybe they ought to rename that Blue Ridge Parkway to the Redneck Parkway. “Let’s build that new plant in Vietnam and give those poor people a chance!” After all, “Who wants to support people that don’t support us?

I guess that when the unemployment rate goes from 12% to 18%, the inhabitants of East Holier-than-Thou-County NC will be expecting Jesus to provide. Lottsa Luck with that! Better learn to build a Meth lab ...that may be all you end up with!

Last edited by TheEmissary; 05-12-2012 at 03:43 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte