Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-13-2012, 07:51 AM

26,585 posts, read 62,020,627 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelbug71 View Post
Why does the mom need childcare if she is not working? Most estimates show that it costs $26k per year for the second parent to work and pay childcare for one child. She probably needs to earn $30k just to break even. Maybe they should simplify their lives, she can stay home and be a good mama and start some online training for the future when all the kids are in school. Families can live on one income if they give up the gadgets, toys and restaurant meals. She can use coupons and find other ways to contribute to the household finances.
What would be a better option would be for them to work opposite shifts so there was no childcare cost--which is being funded by the taxpayer, not the parents anyhow in this case.

Old 09-13-2012, 08:15 AM

35,879 posts, read 77,448,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagocubs View Post
WOW...people....STOP JUDGING this family....they are not asking for handouts, they just want work!

TO THE OP: I am sorry, but, with the economy such as it is, jobs are very hard to find. I have seen some places, like landscaping companies, with signs outside saying that they are hiring. Surely the unemployment office can help in that regard. Obviously, the landscaping job would be for the father of the children, not your daughter.

I would think that an experienced hotel maid could find work. Has she contacted the various hotels directly to see if they are hiring? She needs to be persistent and confident.

Also contact the United Way downtown. They can direct you to immediate assistance and may even have some resources to be able to find work.

Have you also asked the pastor of your church for help? Many times, they have job assistance and crisis assistance resources.

Wishing you and your daughter the best.
I see both sides of this . . . If I understood correctly, the daughter IS asking for handouts b/c she wants a job so she can QUALIFY for the vouchers. Did I misunderstand? Let's face it . . . this family HAS been receiving benefits for far longer than the rest of us could have qualified only a few years ago.

They started a family at a young age and had no way of supporting themselves - EVEN IN THE GOOD TIMES.

I believe in helping those who have hit upon hard times. But here is the part of this story that is NOT being revealed. Did the state pay for the maternity care and delivery of those 3 children? Were they on subsistence prior to being laid off from work - i.e., WIC, Medicaid, food stamps, etc.

The state has made it possible for people to establish a subsistence lifestyle at a young age - offering housing assistance, medical care, food, childcare vouchers, job training, etc. for folks who have often simply made bad decisions.

Maybe this family doesn't fall into that category but it seems to me the grandmother is asking for a bandaid. There is no real longterm plan here!

The question posed by the OP was simply how to get a job or a slot in some school somewhere so her daughter can prove to the state that she still qualifies for vouchers.

Only a few years ago, UE was only available for a matter of WEEKS. There was no such thing as childcare vouchers. And if you opted to have kids instead of getting trained for a profession so you could support yourself -- that was your and your families problem to figure out.

Only a few years ago, Grandmother would have been scrambling around to figure out how SHE was going to help her daughter with childcare, even if it meant third shift work. I am so serious. I grew up with folks doing just that.

I see two sides to this. I have no doubt this family needs help but the reason they need help is b/c they have been skating by instead of creating a LIFE PLAN.

Grandmother is looking for a quick fix so this same NON-PLAN can continue. This is NOT progress.

That is why the state puts restrictions on these entitlement programs: to force people to create a PLAN.

Old 09-13-2012, 09:22 AM

469 posts, read 890,880 times
Do people who keep suggesting the military know that you just can't walk into a recruitment office and then start next week? I know of 2 people - one a family member and one the son of a friend who signed up for the marines, and waited close to a year before finally being called up to go to boot camp. Both of them would have a date, and then the date would get pushed back over and over again.

Old 09-13-2012, 09:26 AM

45,218 posts, read 100,681,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Go To Girl View Post
Do people who keep suggesting the military know that you just can't walk into a recruitment office and then start next week? I know of 2 people - one a family member and one the son of a friend who signed up for the marines, and waited close to a year before finally being called up to go to boot camp. Both of them would have a date, and then the date would get pushed back over and over again.
Good point. But enlisting would at least be a start - a "plan" like Ani pointed out.

Clearly, this whole family needs one

Old 09-13-2012, 09:30 AM

3,914 posts, read 4,968,976 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Go To Girl View Post
Try the Army.

Old 09-13-2012, 11:16 AM

109 posts, read 168,073 times
unfortunately people are always going to have kids they can't afford-and we will be supporting them...We make it too easy.

Old 09-13-2012, 11:37 AM

38 posts, read 57,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by abri07 View Post
She receives free childcare. This is a great opportunity to allow someone to get on their feet. Why not work if the childcare is free? I know soooo many people who receive resources like this young women, intead of finding a job they sit on their butt all day! See is really trying to do the right thing and become independent.

I do not have any children, almost no debt, no car note, etc and my partner and I could NOT live off 1 income! We could make it, for a little but money would be extremely tight. I couldnt imagine having 3 children to feed and provide clothes for.
As pointed out above, this childcare is not free. I'd guess that taxpayers are subsidizing at least $1200/month for her to work and bring home $700/month. It's not PC to say this but there is a social/emotional cost to raising kids in institutionalized care as well.

It's sad that you see parenting and homemaking as "sitting on your butt all day" - if women's contributions are only measured in dollars earned, then all of society will suffer - especially women and children. Sadly these skills are so undervalued that some women do "sit on their butt" and neglect these duties, but I hope with an involved, loving grandma, this is not the case. She can make a valuable contribution to her family by preparing her children to succeed in school and in life; teaching virtues and values that they won't learn in day care or school. She can learn, and model economic frugality and teach the kids that the library can be much more fun than watching tv all day and that you cvan feed a family for a week on the cost of one fast food meal.

It is not the right answer for every family, but the alternatives don't make sense in this situation. She should pursue some type of education or job training in the evenings or when her husband is home so that when her youngest is in school she can start working.

I know its late for this family, but I encourage my young adult children to plan to live on one income when they get married, and bank the other. That way they have less adjustment to make to their lifestyle when/if babies come along - and they have money in the bank.

Another thought to bring in some extra cash, why not clean private homes? She can set her own hours and build her own business- by the time the kids are in school, she could have several gals working for her. Good housekeepers are in high demand here in AZ. With all the McMansions and 2 parent working families in Charlotte I would think everyone is using a cleaning service.

BTW, this is the second thread where I have seen the military offered as an alternative to men who are perceived to be slackers - yes the military can be good for men, but it is not a place for losers or slackers or criminals. It is getting more and more competitive - to get in and to stay in - and the troops I know are respectable, admirable, skilled people with an incredible work ethic. After flunking her first year of pre-med, my daughter was kind of lost and aimless and we talked to a recruiter. He told her he was having to turn away guys in their 30's with master's degrees who were desperate to support their families - he asked her why he should take her over them. She didn't have an answer. Smart recruiter.

Old 09-13-2012, 12:48 PM

3,914 posts, read 4,968,976 times
Quote:
As pointed out above, this childcare is not free. I'd guess that taxpayers are subsidizing at least $1200/month for her to work and bring home $700/month. It's not PC to say this but there is a social/emotional cost to raising kids in institutionalized care as well.
IMO, if they cut this stuff out, most women would stop after the first kid if they had to actually support them. Hunger is a big motivator failing anything else that might make people take responsibility for their actions. The only involvement that I would want to see from the public is something to force these worthless babie's daddies (I won't use the word husband or parent) to provide for their kids.

My mom says that when she and my dad were raising my sister and I here in Charlotte in the early 60's none of these kinds of taxpayer funded give aways existed and as a result it made young couples figure out how to take care of themselves and their families. Now that she is a senior citizen, she and her generation are absolutely aghast at what these welfare programs have done to society and our country.

Old 09-13-2012, 01:21 PM

162 posts, read 228,527 times
Unlike most people on here, I made an effort to reach out to see if I can help her since I know of people who are hiring. To my understanding her children's father is not in the home. Therefore there would be no income coming in if she does not work. She would not have a way to even take her school age child to work without a car(which is what she told me). This is why I feel staying home is not an option for her.

I do not believe parenting and homemaking is sitting on you butt all day. I work as a nanny and I know how hard it is being a parent 24 hours. It's so challenging that many women go back to work because they can not manage being home all day. I was only speaking in regards to this situation. I based this response off of actually speaking with the person who is looking for a job.

My mother and I run a small non profit for women and children and we currently have a client that refuses to work. She gets childcare resources (free daycare), a workfirst check, and foodstamps. I have offered her many jobs and she basically refuses to work and the government continues to support her. This woman ****s on her tush ALL day except when she goes to school (the only reason she is going is to take out student loans), does not cook, does not care for her son properly. I volunteer with many organizations and this is what I see often!

The welfare mindset is crazy! I guess I am just glad to see someone who actually kinda wants to try to do something to support herself.

Quote:

It's sad that you see parenting and homemaking as "sitting on your butt all day" - if women's contributions are only measured in dollars earned, then all of society will suffer - especially women and children. Sadly these skills are so undervalued that some women do "sit on their butt" and neglect these duties, but I hope with an involved, loving grandma, this is not the case. She can make a valuable contribution to her family by preparing her children to succeed in school and in life; teaching virtues and values that they won't learn in day care or school. She can learn, and model economic frugality and teach the kids that the library can be much more fun than watching tv all day and that you cvan feed a family for a week on the cost of one fast food meal.

It is not the right answer for every family, but the alternatives don't make sense in this situation. She should pursue some type of education or job training in the evenings or when her husband is home so that when her youngest is in school she can start working.

I know its late for this family, but I encourage my young adult children to plan to live on one income when they get married, and bank the other. That way they have less adjustment to make to their lifestyle when/if babies come along - and they have money in the bank.

Another thought to bring in some extra cash, why not clean private homes? She can set her own hours and build her own business- by the time the kids are in school, she could have several gals working for her. Good housekeepers are in high demand here in AZ. With all the McMansions and 2 parent working families in Charlotte I would think everyone is using a cleaning service.

BTW, this is the second thread where I have seen the military offered as an alternative to men who are perceived to be slackers - yes the military can be good for men, but it is not a place for losers or slackers or criminals. It is getting more and more competitive - to get in and to stay in - and the troops I know are respectable, admirable, skilled people with an incredible work ethic. After flunking her first year of pre-med, my daughter was kind of lost and aimless and we talked to a recruiter. He told her he was having to turn away guys in their 30's with master's degrees who were desperate to support their families - he asked her why he should take her over them. She didn't have an answer. Smart recruiter.

Old 09-13-2012, 01:37 PM

35,879 posts, read 77,448,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by abri07 View Post
Unlike most people on here, I made an effort to reach out to see if I can help her since I know of people who are hiring. To my understanding her children's father is not in the home. Therefore there would be no income coming in if she does not work. She would not have a way to even take her school age child to work without a car(which is what she told me). This is why I feel staying home is not an option for her.

I do not believe parenting and homemaking is sitting on you butt all day. I work as a nanny and I know how hard it is being a parent 24 hours. It's so challenging that many women go back to work because they can not manage being home all day. I was only speaking in regards to this situation. I based this response off of actually speaking with the person who is looking for a job.

My mother and I run a small non profit for women and children and we currently have a client that refuses to work. She gets childcare resources (free daycare), a workfirst check, and foodstamps. I have offered her many jobs and she basically refuses to work and the government continues to support her. This woman ****s on her tush ALL day except when she goes to school (the only reason she is going is to take out student loans), does not cook, does not care for her son properly. I volunteer with many organizations and this is what I see often!

The welfare mindset is crazy! I guess I am just glad to see someone who actually kinda wants to try to do something to support herself.
You are a good person with a very worthwhile mission, Abri!

I thought the grandmother said there IS a daddy in the picture . . .??? If he is out of work, why isn't HE taking care of the kids? Why does she need a car to get a child to school - we have buses here. ???
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte