Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-12-2012, 07:14 AM

1,669 posts, read 6,397,108 times

Advertisements

Thanks to all the lovely posters who are not judging or condemning this family. I don't care what your degree is in or your background...the truth is that it is very difficult to get even a menial job in this economy. Many people are living on unemployment for two years, not because they are not actively seeking, but because they are not getting the job offers. I for one is loving the fact that she wants to work and her mother is grasping at straws to see if she can assist this family in anyway.

Wishing your family all the best.

Old 09-12-2012, 07:21 AM

9,116 posts, read 17,718,482 times
For the OP, you or your husband can get work as a tax preparer through a company like Jackson Hewitt/Block/or other tax preparer servicers...

You take a class for 6 weeks to become proficient doing basic returns.

The pay isn't great as a career, however the hours can be flexible.

Its a way to earn a couple hundred dollars a week....

No reason why this shouldn't be explored.

http://www.jacksonhewitt.com/

Free Tax Filing, Online Tax Preparation & e-file Taxes Online, Tax Software - H&R Block® - H&R Block®

Old 09-12-2012, 08:14 AM

6,032 posts, read 9,207,489 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunnsshine1960 View Post
Just read most of the post and am praying that my daughter never reads them.WOW!!! There is a father in the picture he was on unemployment till it ran out he just got a job that barley pays anything.I pray God open your hearts and eyes to the world we live in unemployment is off the chain .There is no welfare benefits in Charlotte N.C. 1600 a month lol i do not know where you heard that they don't give money out like that.She contacted the unemployment office in Raleigh it takes 8 weeks to see if you get it or not !!! And no she did not quit she and 8 others were fired because he brought his own staff in when he bought the hotel , Right to work state means you can be fired for no reason! And birth control wow i pray you who judged never come across hard times and then have people say things that hurt instead of help.I was asking for suggestions not put downs or nasty comments.If you have nothing nice to say keep it to your self's.She isn't looking for hand outs just help so she can take care of her family and her self. Thanks to those that had the right mind set to suggest answers not just speak harmful comments.God is still on the throne and we are looking to Him first of all to guide her through this.He uses his people to help others and that's what i was doing seeking help from His people
Incorrect, right to work states are different. North Carolina is an At Will State.

Here are some suggestions:

1) The father is young, have him join the military and get some real training (they also help provide for families and they will get healthcare etc)
2) GET ON BIRTH CONTROL
3) Stop having children you can't afford to care for
4) If he is a felon, then have her join the military
5) Consider obtaining some sort of 2 year educational degree

The bottom line is that these two chose to have alot of kids very young with no means to pay for them. That said, life will be a struggle for both of them, but it can be salvaged. Standing on the brink can be a huge motivator.

I can't believe he or she hasn't thought or considered the military previously?!?!!?

Old 09-12-2012, 09:00 AM

3,914 posts, read 4,968,976 times
I don't understand the issue if the husband is now working.

Old 09-12-2012, 09:04 AM

15,355 posts, read 12,638,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suncc49 View Post
Incorrect, right to work states are different. North Carolina is an At Will State.

Here are some suggestions:

1) The father is young, have him join the military and get some real training (they also help provide for families and they will get healthcare etc)
2) GET ON BIRTH CONTROL
3) Stop having children you can't afford to care for
4) If he is a felon, then have her join the military
5) Consider obtaining some sort of 2 year educational degree

The bottom line is that these two chose to have alot of kids very young with no means to pay for them. That said, life will be a struggle for both of them, but it can be salvaged. Standing on the brink can be a huge motivator.

I can't believe he or she hasn't thought or considered the military previously?!?!!?

she needs work not a lecture...

Old 09-12-2012, 09:16 AM

26,585 posts, read 62,020,627 times
Has she applied at industrial laundry services that clean hospital laundry? High turnover because the stuff they sort through is disgusting (they wear safety goggles, gowns, and surgical masks) but they are almost always hiring. Pay is usually only minimum wage or a bit more, but it's an honest wage until she can find something else.

Old 09-12-2012, 09:30 AM

9,116 posts, read 17,718,482 times
How about looking into jobs other than the standard 1st shift...??

It is much more difficult, but there are 2nd and 3rd shift jobs available.....

Its SOMETHING thats better than nothing...

Old 09-12-2012, 09:38 AM

26,585 posts, read 62,020,627 times
If she has housekeeping experience, hospitals are often hiring for per diem 3rd shift housekeepers. it would be a foot in the door to a permanent position.

Old 09-12-2012, 10:32 AM

1,177 posts, read 2,238,982 times
Temporary agencies (like Manpower) should also be considered. My company no longer hires full-time people "off the street" for most positions. We only hire full-time employees after we've had a chance to observe them for a few months as a temporary employee. Many other employers are doing the same.

Going through a temporary agency might be the best way to secure full-time employment.

Old 09-12-2012, 10:32 AM

3,914 posts, read 4,968,976 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Feltdesigner View Post
she needs work not a lecture...
His recommendation about the military is a good one.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte