Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-14-2012, 11:26 AM

38 posts, read 57,886 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlotteGal View Post
This is patently false. Why spread lies and exaggerations like this?

You're right, women were much better off being tied to men because they got pregnant by them, and so many more women were *thrilled* with their back-alley abortions. Please, read up on women's history. Sex outside marriage and ending pregnancies are NOT new, they've been around as long as men & women have existed.
" In general, failure rates are highest among cohabiting and other unmarried women, among those with an annual family income below 200% of the federal poverty level, among black and Hispanic women, among adolescents and among women in their 20s. For example, adolescent women who are not married but are cohabiting experience a failure rate of about 47% in the first year of contraceptive use"

Contraceptive Failure Rates: New Estimates From the 1995 National Survey of Family Growth Guttmacher Institute: research arm of Planned Parenthood. Your message seems consistent with their philosophy, and they do have the most comprehensive research on the subject.

"
• By age 45, more than half of all American women will have experienced an unintended pregnancy, and three in 10 will have had an abortion.[6,7].
• Rates of unintended pregnancy are generally highest in the South and Southwest, and in states with large urban populations.[9]
• Unintended pregnancy rates are highest among poor and low-income women, women aged 18–24, cohabiting women and minority women. [6]
• The rate of unintended pregnancy among poor women (those with incomes at or below the federal poverty level) in 2006 was 132 per 1,000 women aged 15–44, more than five times the rate among women at the highest income level (24 per 1,000). [6]
• Poor women’s high rate of unintended pregnancy results in their also having high rates of both abortions (52 per 1,000) and unplanned births (66 per 1,000). In 2006, poor women had an unintended birth rate six times as high as that of higher-income women.[6,7]
• In 2006, black women had the highest unintended pregnancy rate of any racial or ethnic groups. At 91 per 1,000 women aged 15–44, it was more than double that of non-Hispanic white women (36 per 1,000).[6]
• In 2006, women without a high school degree had the highest unintended pregnancy rate among all educational levels (80 per 1,000 women aged 15–44), and rates decreased as years of education attained increased.[6]
• Some groups—including higher-income women, white women, college graduates and married women—are comparatively successful at timing and spacing their pregnancies. For example, higher-income white women experience unintended pregnancy at one-third the national rate (17 vs. 52 per 1,000).[6]"

Facts on Unintended Pregnancy in the United States

We'd probably need to have a women's history discussion privately, and my point is not to tell women not to use birth control...and especially not to condemn this family's choices. ( I gave birth to my third child at 21) My point was more general ( and in response to all the criticisms of their family planning choices - which i also find offensive) - we have changed our expectations and standards of decency in our culture, and there are consequences. You said "women were much better off being tied to men because they got pregnant by them" with obvious sarcasm, but, yeah - maybe so. Maybe we ought to encourage people to consider the good of their children and the good of society rather than trading partners with their moods. People can be empowered to use self control and self discipline, not just self interest. With true information about unintended pregnancy, STI's and emotional consequences, I think we are just marketing propaganda when we tell young people that they can have "safe sex" with BC. "Safer" yes, but not safe.

Gossip aside Abri - since we haven't heard from the OP, and you say the mom has a car, is she willing to clean houses? I dont know about ongoing residental rates, but we've noticed for our rentals labor is generally higher in NC than here in Az. I know here for a 3500 sq' house one gal can do it in 4 hours and it costs $110. If she can do one house a day she'll do very well.

Old 09-14-2012, 04:31 PM

3,914 posts, read 4,982,633 times
I don't know what is worse. People who think they are somehow entitled to taxpayer funded handouts that mitigate irresponsibility or those who are on their holier than thou soapboxes who are quite happy in giving away someone else's hard earned money.

If anyone wants to criticize me for my opinion on the matter, then my response to you is you can criticism me as much as you want when you start paying my taxes. Otherwise, nobody wants to hear it and it's not helping anyone either.
Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte