Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-19-2013, 05:01 AM

5,150 posts, read 7,767,541 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barфsa View Post
State's don't normally manage state business based on the whims of a President's administration. The President's authority, via his cabinet, over the states is very limited.

Rumor is that Foxx is being groomed for Watts old job. If this is true, I'm betting you will never see him get mixed up in this now. There is nothing to be gained and everything to lose by getting involved in a state matter.
I'll agree with six words. The rest of it confuses me. According to experts, posters on this forum and the City of Charlotte in their lawsuit, the FAA must approve the transfer. Foxx will stay out of it but he doesn't micro-manage the FAA (as far as we know) so someone lower down the ladder can handle that.

If I'm right, he'll be glad to let someone else handle it.

But, if the city under his leadership screwed up our well ran airport then he's to blame. However, I don't expect him to repent but I do expect Raleigh projects to come under scrutiny over this. There's all kinds of unintended consequences at work. If Raleigh says Foxx sucks (as mayor) then they say he sucks at transportation. So prepare for more suckage Raleigh.

Look at all the butt kissing through his confirmation. No one dared toss anything but softballs because he's too important to their districts. Raleigh threw a curveball.

The weird thing is that everyone that seems to be responsible for this mess originated in Mecklenburg. Of course they went out recruiting our neighbors but there seems to be a lot of stabbing going on that we as a county at least started.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2013, 05:27 AM

Quote:
Indeed there is another side. Now that the state has passed the law, it's the NC Attorney General's office who will be fighting the city in court. This is because the city has filed a lawsuit against the State of NC. The paper says that Vinroot has been officially hired by state's new airport authority, which does exist until the state moves to dissolve it.
And what exactly do you think was stayed?

Quote:
The city argued that the airport authority never was fully implemented, despite being passed by the General Assembly. City Attorney Bob Hagemann said a judge granted the restraining order before the law was officially codified.

Hagemann said he didn’t know why Vinroot was in court Thursday.

“I told the judge I thought it was perplexing that he is purporting to represent a client that doesn’t exist,” Hagemann said about Vinroot and the authority.
If they are right then there is no authority. And that means Vinroot is out unless the state appoints him but that would be weird. We would in essence have three Charlotte mayors duking it out or at least be interested parties.

No one in this forum can do more than guess at whether there is an authority or not. That will be up to the judge. But what I can tell you as a matter of fact is that the bill was enrolled and presented to the secretary of state. I have e-mail from the state that proves that.

A session law number was created. It is 2013-272. So, I don't know what "chaptered" means as I haven't read the complaint yet. It's possible that the SOS was preempted from doing what ever it is that he does.

More good reading here including the restraining order: Airport bill passes, but judge halts authority switch | CharlotteObserver.com

Also, the Observer is taking back what they said about U.S. Airways being an instigator in this.

The complaint which also includes the text of the bill is here: http://media.charlotteobserver.com//...8170616373.pdf and it's heavy on the bond issue. The city says that the transfer would put the bonds in default. That is a non-trivial matter.

Edit:

Here's a link to the restraining order. http://media.cmgdigital.com/shared/n...ning_Order.pdf

Last edited by GCharlotte; 07-19-2013 at 05:39 AM..

Old 07-19-2013, 06:15 AM

279 posts, read 448,225 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GCharlotte View Post
And what exactly do you think was stayed?

If they are right then there is no authority. And that means Vinroot is out unless the state appoints him but that would be weird. We would in essence have three Charlotte mayors duking it out or at least be interested parties.
The injunction stops the authority from taking control. It did not stop the creation of the authority or dissolves it.

The Charlotte Airport Authority was created when the bill was passed into law yesterday. It exists. Furthermore the city has filed a lawsuit against the authority. It could not do so if it didn't exist. It's right in the title of the document you linked.

CITY OF CHARLOTTE A municipal corporation Plantiff, v. THE STATE OF NORTH CAROLINA AND CHARLOTTE DOUGLAS INTERNATIONAL AIRPORT AUTHORITY

The state has not had a chance to address it as this injunction was passed without the state AG being there. (itself an issue) Apparently this authority has already hired Orr and Vinroot. Vinroot is representing the Authority in court.

Old 07-19-2013, 06:28 AM

3,774 posts, read 8,199,422 times
Quote:
It seemed petty and again proves the city is clueless about how to run the airport properly.
The city run airport has been incredible, nay, STELLAR for quite a while. What does that prove?

I guess after this takeover we can expect to be the number one airport in the US!

The airport wasn't a political issue until some blowhard made it one (Orr).

Old 07-19-2013, 06:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GCharlotte View Post
If I'm right, he'll be glad to let someone else handle it.
I think Foxx's role in this is overstated. FAA is a part of the Department of Transportation, but it's not clear to me that Michael Huerta, the head of the FAA, takes ANY orders from Foxx. Huerta's position is appointed directly by President Obama and he is confirmed by the Senate. Since Foxx can't hire or fire him then I would think it would be very unusual for him to be involved in the matter.

Foxx administers the department of transportation. He does not decide federal funding for projects as that comes directly from congress. Foxx implements what congress decides. Barr & Hagan and the state's representatives to the House will take care of the state's needs.

Old 07-19-2013, 06:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Native_Son View Post
The city run airport has been incredible, nay, STELLAR for quite a while. What does that prove?
You are correct about the "has been". The city has fired the very people responsible for its success for political reasons, dissolved the independent police force, ignored its own study that recommended moving to an authority, and got into a nasty fight with the state of NC which it simply doesn't need.

In less than 2 months, the city has turned it into a disaster after 40 years of smooth running. In the end, the only thing that does matter is what US Airways sees going on here. If they do merge with American, and IMO they will close or reduce hubs, CLT simply doesn't need to be pissing them off with this nonsense.

Old 07-19-2013, 06:50 AM

Quote:
The injunction stops the authority from taking control. It did not stop the creation of the authority or dissolves it.

The Charlotte Airport Authority was created when the bill was passed into law yesterday. It exists. Furthermore the city has filed a lawsuit against the authority. It could not do so if it didn't exist. It's right in the title of the document you linked.

CITY OF CHARLOTTE A municipal corporation Plantiff, v. THE STATE OF NORTH CAROLINA AND CHARLOTTE DOUGLAS INTERNATIONAL AIRPORT AUTHORITY

The state has not had a chance to address it as this injunction was passed without the state AG being there. (itself an issue) Apparently this authority has already hired Orr and Vinroot. Vinroot is representing the Authority in court.
That's your opinion. It isn't the city's. And the caption of the lawsuit is called good lawyering. The claim is that the authority doesn't exist which is clear by how the city attorney smarted off about Vinroot. But the city isn't stupid (in this case). In case the judge rules otherwise then they are covered.

I and you cannot declare if there is an authority or not. But, if you think the city thinks there is an authority based on that caption then I can declare you're wrong there.

We'll know something in 10 days but likely that will be a continuance though the city seems to think this is dire. Maybe a compromise can be hashed out in the meantime but I doubt it.

The very first paragraph of the complaint states that the state purports to create the authority which on the face implies the authority does not exist. (Verb: Appear or claim to be or do something, esp. falsely; profess). It also uses the word "attempt".

Old 07-19-2013, 06:58 AM

Quote:
If they do merge with American, and IMO they will close or reduce hubs, CLT simply doesn't need to be pissing them off with this nonsense.
Unless of course the city is right. Some of their claims would certainly spell disaster and cause far more problems if the city would just kiss ass and do what they are told.

Doom I'd say. If they are wrong then that's another matter. The bond thing an the FAA thing cannot be ignored. At least one of them appears to be truly in the wrong. If both it could seriously send economic issues in to a tailspin and that shouldn't be done to appease anyone.

But surely 100 lawyers at the state house are smarter than the few CLTCC has available to them. So nothing can be wrong. The never needed FAA approval to begin with, right?

Old 07-19-2013, 07:24 AM

15,355 posts, read 12,657,698 times
Quote:

why didn't the city do something about it years ago?
I wonder the same thing in regards to CLT...

why didn't the GA do something about it years ago?

Old 07-19-2013, 07:55 AM

3,774 posts, read 8,199,422 times
Quote:
You are correct about the "has been". The city has fired the very people responsible for its success for political reasons, dissolved the independent police force, ignored its own study that recommended moving to an authority, and got into a nasty fight with the state of NC which it simply doesn't need.

In less than 2 months, the city has turned it into a disaster after 40 years of smooth running. In the end, the only thing that does matter is what US Airways sees going on here. If they do merge with American, and IMO they will close or reduce hubs, CLT simply doesn't need to be pissing them off with this nonsense.
So the city *has been* running it well... Right up until the state decided to steal it from us. THEN we let it become a political problem and that's justification for the state running it?

Well, that's an interesting take...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte