Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-21-2013, 11:22 AM

5,150 posts, read 7,764,935 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barфsa View Post
You are correct. I was loose with the terminology and misspoke.

The Judge granted a 10 day "restraining order" against the state from enforcing the act. It did not rule on the injunction. In fact it specifically states "until such time as the Court decides Charlotte's Motion for Preliminary Injunction". i.e. it has not offered an "opinion" or decision on the matter.
That is the best way to put it. Of course the City wrote the order and I like the scratched out stuff.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2013, 11:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean_CLT View Post
I think there is a large chance that the legislature goofed up in their hurry to pass the bill. I may be no attorney but creating a "regional authority" over several counties looks to me in plain language like something beyond a "local" bill and it should have the governor's signature. Local bills are supposed to be minor things like moving DMV offices and honoring local military veterans.

It also goes against centuries of precedent to ignore the wishes of a local delegation and pass a bill over their objections. Maybe there have been some examples over time such as creating a state hazardous waste site, but it is very rare.
FYI the state constitution defiles local laws as those affecting lest than 15 counties. Concord isn't happy either. No one with an airport bigger than a postage stamp would be.

Old 07-21-2013, 03:24 PM

279 posts, read 448,016 times
I listened to the interview with the Charlotte governor this morning on TV. He had a couple of interesting comments about the Airport bill.

First he said this isn't an argument of state power vs city power. It's an argument between the Charlotte business community and the Charlotte local political establishment.

Second, he said that US Airways had expressed concerns about how the city was operating the airport of late. Another blog did state that one of Charlotte's city councilmen actually insulted US Airways executives.

Third, US Airways is the 3rd largest employer in the city.

------------------

IMO, this is the real background as to why the state moved to put the Airport under and independent board and away from the Charlotte political establishment. McCrory did say that while he was mayor, he made sure the council and politics left the airport alone.

Old 07-21-2013, 04:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barфsa View Post
IMO, this is the real background as to why the state moved to put the Airport under and independent board and away from the Charlotte political establishment. McCrory did say that while he was mayor, he made sure the council and politics left the airport alone.
How much do security guards at airports get paid? Do you think it was political to swap them out for CMPD?

Anyone can insult anyone at any time. Sure isn't a reason to change a state law and again, the elephant no one is talking about is the bonds. Where does the state report that the bonds will not be effected?

And does the state have to get approval to change ownership of the airport from the FAA or not? I'm trying to gauge the level of blatant lies in the city's complaint because there's another word for that.

As far as US Airways goes, I'm sure they are keen to pay less than they are now. That's business. So that can be behind it though they deny it. Any comments about the subject are anecdotal right now.

And anytime a superior political body takes control of something away from a junior body it's political.

If there were problems they those problems should have been stated and the public should have been invited in to the discussions.

Old 07-21-2013, 06:11 PM

3,774 posts, read 8,197,080 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GCharlotte View Post

If there were problems they those problems should have been stated and the public should have been invited in to the discussions.
And that's the gist of it. Because frankly it sounds like revisionist history at this point.

Old 07-21-2013, 07:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Native_Son View Post
And that's the gist of it. Because frankly it sounds like revisionist history at this point.
Well there's a new story in the Observer today (linked below to WCNC) which gives some info I haven't heard before including that it was U.S. Air that drafted the bill.

So anyone interested should give it a read: Dogfight over Charlotte airport exposes regional rifts | WCNC.com Charlotte

Old 07-21-2013, 08:55 PM

1,508 posts, read 2,979,530 times
It is starting to sound more and more like US Airways invited the NCGA to get involved because the city was beginning to become more inquisitive about airport operations. I think one of the things that bubbled out of the DNC review was that security in uptown was good but coordination with CMPD and the airport was a rough spot.

Orr had a good thing going for a long time but it's probably inevitable that the city would stop being laissez-faire want more oversight.

I suppose the next piece of gossip to land will be what exactly is it that US Airways wanted to do, which the city was hesitant in granting.

Old 07-21-2013, 09:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean_CLT View Post
It is starting to sound more and more like US Airways invited the NCGA to get involved because the city was beginning to become more inquisitive about airport operations. I think one of the things that bubbled out of the DNC review was that security in uptown was good but coordination with CMPD and the airport was a rough spot.

Orr had a good thing going for a long time but it's probably inevitable that the city would stop being laissez-faire want more oversight.

I suppose the next piece of gossip to land will be what exactly is it that US Airways wanted to do, which the city was hesitant in granting.
I wonder how much of this had to do with Delvonte Tisdale. Instead of anything specific, the report CMPD did after that situation probably chapped some folks. But that wouldn't explain why US Air would write the draft bill. I'm thinking it was simply money to them.

CMPD takes over security at Charlotte Douglas International Airport | CharlotteObserver.com

Old 07-21-2013, 09:53 PM

1,508 posts, read 2,979,530 times
Just a guess - but US Airways may have figured that a regional authority is more of a "muddle" of a committee, comprised of members who were handed political plum appointments from their respective counties... people who would not speak too much with each other outside of the official meetings. Orr may have liked the idea because the committee would be comprised of many newbies he could sway. And a pay increase, to boot.

Old 07-22-2013, 04:25 AM

279 posts, read 448,016 times
I believe, all the other major airports in NC are already under this authority arrangement.

It's not new news that US Airways was behind this and I'm not surprised they had a hand in drafting the bill. Last I remember, they employ 8-9 thousand people in Charlotte and these are well paying jobs which means that local politicians should pay attention to them instead of playing hard ball. The State has a vested interest in protecting these jobs when the delusional city council starts to interfere.

Finally, the city has no cards to play in this game. While they have cited the Constitution, they don't seem to understand the basics. They should read Article VII, Section I
Section 1. General Assembly to provide for local government.

The General Assembly shall provide for the organization and government and the fixing of boundaries of counties, cities and towns, and other governmental subdivisions, and, except as otherwise prohibited by this Constitution, may give such powers and duties to counties, cities and towns, and other governmental subdivisions as it may deem advisable.
This means the GA can give or take any power from the city as it pleases. The city has no say in it. GA power constitutionally trumps municipal power, always.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte