Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-05-2013, 08:06 PM
NCN

21,662 posts, read 25,617,651 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
If the speed limit is 70... then the Impala was in the left lane at less than posted speed.
He had the responsibility to not not impede in that manner.

His choices were to either shift over a lane or to speed up.
Reportedly he did neither of these reasonable things. In fact he then went even slower.
I thought you said there was a truck beside him. How could he go over with a truck there. You really should stop tailgating. Tailgating kills. Speed kills. You are a potential killer. I don't remember seeing a speed limit of more than 65 on I-485 so I did not realize he was not doing the speed limit. I still think you need to learn how to stay off peoples bumpers. That is very dangerous to the driver in front of you. Have you ever heard of whiplash causing a broken neck. Instant death for the driver in front. I hate and despise people with your attitude.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2013, 08:12 PM

34,088 posts, read 82,920,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCN View Post
I thought you said there was a truck beside him.
I hope you can "read the road" better than you read posts.

Old 03-05-2013, 08:16 PM
NCN

Quote:
I hope you can "read the road" better than you read posts.
If someone gets on my bumper at a high speed, I am going to slow down too because it is a dangerous situation traveling at that speed with someone drafting. Drafting needs to be kept on the race track.

In my opinion there is no excuse for tailgating. Absolutely none. Tailgaters are the worst drivers on the highway and each tailgater is a potential killer. Most of them are also bullies.

Last edited by SunnyKayak; 03-07-2013 at 05:41 PM..

Old 03-05-2013, 08:32 PM

34,088 posts, read 82,920,234 times
Quote:
If someone gets on my bumper at a high speed,
I am going to slow down too because it is a dangerous situation
How about if when you're tooting along on an interstate highway and someone comes up behind you
that you take 2 seconds to look down at your speedometer to see how fast/slow YOU are going relative to the posted limit and then another 2 or 3 seconds to look around at the OTHER cars and trucks in traffic WITH you... before doing anything. OK?

THEN, based on that objective evidence of your relative speed and any congestion you deal with the actual
situation in a responsible manner that (gasp!) might include adjusting what YOU are doing.
Just consider for those 5 or 10 seconds that *maybe* what you are doing is the actual problem.

Still with me? Good.

Thanks from everyone else out there on the road with you.

Old 03-05-2013, 09:07 PM

6,321 posts, read 10,335,027 times
Quote:
If the speed limit is 70... then the Impala was in the left lane at less than posted speed.
The speed limit doesn't go any higher than 65 on 485.

OP admitted that he got pretty close to the back of the Impala, although seemingly not as an attempt to intentionally tailgate. Sounds like the Impala perceived this as intentional and decided to do his/her own policing. So while OP probably got too close at one point, the Impala made it worse by "retaliating."

Old 03-05-2013, 09:28 PM
NCN

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoPhils View Post
The speed limit doesn't go any higher than 65 on 485.

OP admitted that he got pretty close to the back of the Impala, although seemingly not as an attempt to intentionally tailgate. Sounds like the Impala perceived this as intentional and decided to do his/her own policing. So while OP probably got too close at one point, the Impala made it worse by "retaliating."
So do you think the OP was almost blind and didn't see the other car or was he not paying attention or is just in the habit of threatening the lives of other people? So why is he on here complaining when if he had driven right in the first place there would not have been a problem? I would just like to know how a person tailgates accidently? Tailgating is a choice and he made the wrong one. Anyone that tailgates needs to learn how to drive. First you let up off the gas and then if necessary you put on the brake; but there are traveling distance laws and drivers need to learn not to follow too closely, especially at a high rate of speed. The life they save may be the one in the car in front of them.

I am being serious about this. I cringe at the thought of someone coming up fast at the rate of 70 mph on another car and then wondering why he ended up getting the finger. He threatened that drivers life. He is lucky a finger is all he got. They could have both ended up in the hospital or the morgue. I have no sympathy for anyone that tailgates.

Last edited by NCN; 03-05-2013 at 09:38 PM..

Old 03-05-2013, 09:45 PM

6,321 posts, read 10,335,027 times
Yes, tailgating is dangerous. But so is slowing down to below the speed limit while driving in the left lane just to spite a supposed tailgater. As evidenced by the OP, the Impala did not slow down because it was safer, they slowed down because they didn't want OP to pass.

Old 03-06-2013, 02:52 AM

3,914 posts, read 4,968,976 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 28173 View Post
Did this ever happen to you in the Charlotte area?
Do you condone policing the roads?
If you tailgated him to get him to move over, unfortunately an all too common practice in Charlotte, then it was you who was "policing" the roads. What happened? He responded in kind.

"We can't control the other driver as much as we might wish to do so. We can only control our reactions to the other driver."

It's best to avoid situations that put lives in danger no matter how much you think the other driver is wrong. Calm down, move over, and you will never see the party again in a couple of minutes at most.

Old 03-06-2013, 05:49 AM

8,876 posts, read 13,907,158 times
Quote:
So why is he on here complaining when if he had driven right in the first place there would not have been a problem? I would just like to know how a person tailgates accidently? Tailgating is a choice and he made the wrong one. Anyone that tailgates needs to learn how to drive. First you let up off the gas and then if necessary you put on the brake; but there are traveling distance laws and drivers need to learn not to follow too closely, especially at a high rate of speed. The life they save may be the one in the car in front of them.
Obviously with your "better than thou" attitude throughout this thread, you fail to realize that the guy doing 60 in a 65 zone, riding in the left lane, next to a truck, and holding up faster traffic is obligated to first remove his head from his rear end. Then he needs to adjust his speed and move over allowing traffic to flow. Step off your pedestal and think about the big picture.

Stupid drivers make other drivers do dumb things! Given the scenario presented, the root cause is the guy blocking the road.

Old 03-06-2013, 06:15 AM

277 posts, read 660,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stripes17 View Post
Obviously with your "better than thou" attitude throughout this thread, you fail to realize that the guy doing 60 in a 65 zone, riding in the left lane, next to a truck, and holding up faster traffic is obligated to first remove his head from his rear end. Then he needs to adjust his speed and move over allowing traffic to flow. Step off your pedestal and think about the big picture.

Stupid drivers make other drivers do dumb things! Given the scenario presented, the root cause is the guy blocking the road.
Good comments, you beat me to the punch.

My only edits would have been to replace "better than thou" with "holier than thou". In a previous thread discussing cyclist fatalities, this poster preached the opinion that "....Couldn't they (cyclists) at least stay home until people get to church or ride on Saturday when everybody is still in bed?....?

Priceless.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte