Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-06-2013, 06:32 AM

2,773 posts, read 5,159,064 times

Advertisements

I must've touched a sensitive cord here, so I'm not alone in my feelings about this...

As mentioned I was driving just above 70MPH on the left lane (only two lanes in that location) when I was getting close to the driver in front of me - since he was driving at lower speed. I was approaching him, I was not tailgating (which assumes I am driving close to his bumper for at least couple of seconds).

I don't know his original driving speed (could've been 65MPH, nothing wrong with that). Regardless, as the guy noticed I am approaching from the back, he steps on breaks with no car in front of him.

Does anybody still believe this is normal behavior?

Furthermore as he lifts his foot off break, he drives a couple more seconds until he gets to be parallel to a slower driving large truck. The he breaks again and now goes with 60 MPH preventing me and everybody behind to go faster than 60 MPH.

Him driving below speed limit and policing the road is totally wrong and for a few seconds, I wished I had been driving a monster truck and go over him...

Took all my strength from not wishing him unpleasant things, but for the next minute or two (felt like an hour) I did keep my legal distance, trying to not aggravate the disturbed individual in front. After all in his dark mind he could've pressed very hard on the breaks and create a huge pileup, since in the mean time I could quite a bit of cars (both lanes) catching up to us.

People who even think they are correct in doing this on the freeways should have their heads checked. The left lane should be used as passing lane.
Even if I drive above speed limit on left lane, as soon as someone approached from the back (obviously higher speed then mine) I try to move over to the right (if it is no traffic and it is safe, off course).
When freeway is not busy I try to use the left lane only when passing someone and then move to the right lane when I pass them. I still don't get it why cars insist on staying on the left lane when there is no traffic?

Last edited by 28173; 03-06-2013 at 06:50 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2013, 07:47 AM

15,355 posts, read 12,638,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCN View Post
If you tailgated someone at more than 60 mph you are the one at fault. He did nothing wrong as long as he was doing the speed limit. You need to learn how to drive. If a deer had jumped onto the road you could have killed that driver. You should have gotten a ticket for following too close.
^^^

Drives an Impala

Old 03-06-2013, 08:49 AM

3,914 posts, read 4,968,976 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 28173 View Post
Does anybody still believe this is normal behavior?
Though they shouldn't do it, this is typically what happens when someone thinks they are being tailgated and are signaling to the party behind to back off.

Old 03-06-2013, 08:54 AM

35,879 posts, read 77,448,814 times
I have never heard the term "policing the road" and do not understand what you are trying to convey by using it.

Impeding traffic flow, I understand. "Policing the road" makes no sense to me.

Old 03-06-2013, 08:59 AM

6,151 posts, read 10,022,564 times
I've seen this in NY... many times - and if I'm being honest I've been on both sides of this scenario over the years. LOL - I've seen very, very crazy stuff in several states... Somehow our cars are an extension of our penis and makes us all powerful. In fact, I saw it on the way to work today - driver ahead doing quick random braking to scare the guy behind him who he deemed was tailgating...

A good friend of mine has dents in his roof from punching the ceiling so hard during traffic that he deems avoidable due to idiots... road rage is very real and a young man's game. As I get older I realize it's best to just avoid situations that can escalate - nothing good can from it and I just put my head down and avoid it now.

Old 03-06-2013, 09:05 AM

1,079 posts, read 2,500,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
I have never heard the term "policing the road" and do not understand what you are trying to convey by using it.

I understand what he's trying to say, especially around here.......people who don't feel anyone should drive faster than they are, and immediately go out of their way to make an exaggerated point to that person that they are going to do everything in their power to prevent them from getting past them, even tho they are driving 60 in the left lane. 60 in the left lane is unacceptable in my book. but so is nasty tailgating. I'll get up close and "say hi" to the person in front of me but then back off, at least initially. at least give them the opportunity to realize I'm behind them, looking to get thru, and give them a chance to move over.

Old 03-06-2013, 09:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post

Looks to me like you understand exactly what the OP meant but prefer to use a different label?

Old 03-06-2013, 09:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eman1200 View Post
I understand what he's trying to say, especially around here.......people who don't feel anyone should drive faster than they are, and immediately go out of their way to make an exaggerated point to that person that they are going to do everything in their power to prevent them from getting past them, even tho they are driving 60 in the left lane. 60 in the left lane is unacceptable in my book. but so is nasty tailgating. I'll get up close and "say hi" to the person in front of me but then back off, at least initially. at least give them the opportunity to realize I'm behind them, looking to get thru, and give them a chance to move over.
I thought it was obvious and those who defend these tactics are part of the reason there are so many unnecessary accidents.

If you see someone driving faster than you in you rear view and have room to move to the right lane why wouldn't you?

My other frustration is the Nascar racers who have to pass everyone at the last second before exiting the highway.

Old 03-06-2013, 11:02 AM

4,713 posts, read 9,697,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by knew2clt View Post
should have followed him and tought him a lesson to mind his own buisness...back home he would have prob gottin a good old fashion beating....he lucky that was not me in his rear view

Anyone who would do such a thing like follow the guy home and give him crap is an even bigger idiot than the driver in question.

Some people do stupid things on the road (a lot dumber and more dangerous than this dude in the Impala). The best thing to do is get away from them (take a deep breath and wait a minute or two to do so if needed) and then once you have done so, just move on with your life.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
How about if when you're tooting along on an interstate highway and someone comes up behind you that you take 2 seconds to look down at your speedometer to see how fast/slow YOU are going relative to the posted limit and then another 2 or 3 seconds to look around at the OTHER cars and trucks in traffic WITH you... before doing anything. OK?

THEN, based on that objective evidence of your relative speed and any congestion you deal with the actual situation in a responsible manner that (gasp!) might include adjusting what YOU are doing.
Just consider for those 5 or 10 seconds that *maybe* what you are doing is the actual problem.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stripes17 View Post
...you fail to realize that the guy doing 60 in a 65 zone, riding in the left lane, next to a truck, and holding up faster traffic is obligated to first remove his head from his rear end. Then he needs to adjust his speed and move over allowing traffic to flow. Step off your pedestal and think about the big picture.

The "big picture" is that there are a lot of people doing stupid things on the highways (heck, take the 50% (or more) of the drivers of this area who don't know how to properly merge from an on-ramp as an example). In the "big picture" - its just not that big of a deal...stop worrying about what the other driver is doing wrong, move on away from them and get over it.

Old 03-06-2013, 11:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tober138 View Post

The "big picture" is that there are a lot of people doing stupid things on the highways (heck, take the 50% (or more) of the drivers of this area who don't know how to properly merge from an on-ramp as an example). In the "big picture" - its just not that big of a deal...stop worrying about what the other driver is doing wrong, move on away from them and get over it.
I think that's what they are trying to do but it's hard to move away when a driver intentionally stops the flow of traffic
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte