Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-09-2008, 03:11 PM

3 posts, read 7,206 times

Advertisements

to cuban71.

There is nothing wrong with your comments, my reply was toward the other person very rought and unfair critisism, it look to me that those comments were actually coming from a person different than an unhappy customer and i dont like that kind of people, I agreed with you they are not as good as many cuban restaurants in Miami, but their food still good plus I fall in love with the desserts and many other things in that place. I am cuban and I moved from Boynton Beach so I was in need for a nice spot where I still can go eat and relax with my family, all my friends think like me and there is not such a place in Charlotte where you can feel like part of a family, I become somehow a family friend, i know that everybody think differently so I respect your point of view. Good luck.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-09-2008, 05:17 PM

Location: Lots of sun and palm trees with occasional hurricane :)
8,293 posts, read 16,155,259 times
I am not in Charlotte so I have not been to Carlos Cafe or the Piece of Havana but if their cooking is not like Sergio's or Latin America or La Carreta (those sort of places), they are going to close down pretty quickly and you only have a chance to make a good first impression the first time. There is never a second chance.

Some of you may know this other place in Long Boat Key, Sarasota called Columbia. They're Cuban. Upscale cuban. All the foreigners think it's a great place because they do have black beans and ropa vieja and cuban sandwiches and mamey shakes BUT a real cuban knows the difference immediately. You pay a fortune for the location, the "looks", etc. but the food............ay pleeezzzeeeee. I'd rather have food from El Palacio de Los Jugos.

I've heard Charlotte is in dire need of a good Cuban restaurant and I just wish someone would start one up that has real cuban food.

Owners can be as nice as Mother Theresa but business is business and you don't survive on one or two customers. Word of mouth is a HUGE seller.

Old 12-10-2008, 06:45 AM

22,317 posts, read 29,400,492 times
All I have to do is take the bf there who is Cuban and his whole family comes directly from Cuba, Mother and Grand mother born in Havana. He'll know in two seconds.

Old 12-10-2008, 07:23 AM

3,365 posts, read 10,019,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by himain View Post
All I have to do is take the bf there who is Cuban and his whole family comes directly from Cuba, Mother and Grand mother born in Havana. He'll know in two seconds.

Take him to both places and have him write a review.

Old 12-10-2008, 07:33 AM

22,317 posts, read 29,400,492 times
I think I will do that. Although his mom just flew up for Turkey day and we made Arroz con Pollo and Lentil soup. YUM (chicken not soup for me-yuck!)

Old 12-10-2008, 02:49 PM

28 posts, read 63,612 times
Default To Yudy24

Quote:
Originally Posted by yudy24 View Post
to cuban71.

There is nothing wrong with your comments, my reply was toward the other person very rought and unfair critisism, it look to me that those comments were actually coming from a person different than an unhappy customer and i dont like that kind of people, I agreed with you they are not as good as many cuban restaurants in Miami, but their food still good plus I fall in love with the desserts and many other things in that place. I am cuban and I moved from Boynton Beach so I was in need for a nice spot where I still can go eat and relax with my family, all my friends think like me and there is not such a place in Charlotte where you can feel like part of a family, I become somehow a family friend, i know that everybody think differently so I respect your point of view. Good luck.
I have to tell you it gets packed Friday's and Saturday's, and trust me I know plenty about learning curve, they will get better, work out all the kinks

Some people like that person can't criticize with out been mean... Part of my early training at the beginning you get your work criticized and then you get to criticized the other persons work, you have to take the good and the bad.... and learn from it... but U can't be mean and you have to accept it which ever way it comes... I do wish them good luck and will every once in a while check them out...

Old 12-10-2008, 02:55 PM

28 posts, read 63,612 times
Default El Palacio de Los Jugos.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vpcats View Post
I am not in Charlotte so I have not been to Carlos Cafe or the Piece of Havana but if their cooking is not like Sergio's or Latin America or La Carreta (those sort of places), they are going to close down pretty quickly and you only have a chance to make a good first impression the first time. There is never a second chance.

Some of you may know this other place in Long Boat Key, Sarasota called Columbia. They're Cuban. Upscale cuban. All the foreigners think it's a great place because they do have black beans and ropa vieja and cuban sandwiches and mamey shakes BUT a real cuban knows the difference immediately. You pay a fortune for the location, the "looks", etc. but the food............ay pleeezzzeeeee. I'd rather have food from El Palacio de Los Jugos.

I've heard Charlotte is in dire need of a good Cuban restaurant and I just wish someone would start one up that has real cuban food.

Owners can be as nice as Mother Theresa but business is business and you don't survive on one or two customers. Word of mouth is a HUGE seller.
I can say that I have eaten their, I really like it... just have to be careful and know what your going to order and what your going to get....
Ever been to Rio Cristal on Bird Rd. and 97 ave (I think). very good but its a dive... But you can say that Havana Harries did it pretty good... nice place, good location, Good food..... Wow I miss that stuff.

Old 12-10-2008, 03:21 PM

693 posts, read 2,175,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yudy24 View Post
to cuban71.

Hi Yudy,

We were almost neighbors... I was in Fort Lauderdale and then Boca. Did you ever eat at Padrino's back in Florida? I get back to Florida often... and out for cuban food is always on the top of my "must do" list. I'm not Cuban but after 15 or so years in South Florida, Cuban food is as comforting as my mothers matzoh ball soup to me

Old 12-10-2008, 05:32 PM

Location: Lots of sun and palm trees with occasional hurricane :)
8,293 posts, read 16,155,259 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cuban71 View Post
I can say that I have eaten their, I really like it... just have to be careful and know what your going to order and what your going to get....
Ever been to Rio Cristal on Bird Rd. and 97 ave (I think). very good but its a dive... But you can say that Havana Harries did it pretty good... nice place, good location, Good food..... Wow I miss that stuff.
You can't compare Havana Harry's and Rio Cristal.

I went to Rio Cristal once. Their cuban steaks are the size of king size sheets and the mountain of french fries is soggy. I don't like the place and there's even a line every time you go by. Guess it's cheap enough.

Old 12-11-2008, 08:25 AM

3 posts, read 7,206 times
Smile It depend on what day you go.

Damemeow:

I also lived in Boca, and graduated in Boca High, yes I am cuban and also when I go to florida once in a while my hunting goes only to find the best Cuban food, Padrino's in Boca by Glades Rd is OK it depend on the day you go. I really enjoyed Cuban Cafe in Delray Beach, they have great Saturday night life music and the food is good, not as good as Sergio's or la Carreta but you can still have some good time there, I use to like Don Ramon's in West Palm Beach, but not anymore.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte