Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-17-2016, 08:33 AM

159 posts, read 156,597 times

Advertisements

Atlanta and Charlotte are both suburban cities, but can this thread be about what Charlotte is (or isn't) and not about Atlanta?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2016, 08:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by goolsbyjazz View Post
That's pretty good! "Come to Charlotte, where you can be YOU!"
Too generic, just like "Charlotte's got a lot". Which translates to "we don't really have an identity so we had to create a generic slogan"

Old 04-17-2016, 08:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by goolsbyjazz View Post
Wow, there seems to be a bit of animosity on here towards Charlotte?! I will be there in July and am looking forward to learning the city for myself. I lived there quite a while ago when it was a different city.
I also lived here before it had its grow spirt. I thought Charlotte had more uniqueness and character before the burst of sprawl. Now it's one giant cul-de-sac development, boring!!!

Old 04-17-2016, 08:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RP2C View Post
Wasn't/isn't Charlotte "The City of Churches"?
I think that's more of a all southern states thing.

Old 04-18-2016, 12:13 PM

3,941 posts, read 6,721,070 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ahh Life View Post
I also lived here before it had its grow spirt. I thought Charlotte had more uniqueness and character before the burst of sprawl. Now it's one giant cul-de-sac development, boring!!!
C'mon! It can't be that bad???! People seem to be moving there daily.

Old 04-18-2016, 12:19 PM

1,985 posts, read 2,066,401 times
Quote:
I think that's more of a all southern states thing.
No. It's specifically a Charlotte thing.

https://chrispearce52.wordpress.com/...y-of-churches/

Old 04-18-2016, 01:31 PM

3,866 posts, read 4,273,825 times
Quote:
Because, your nothing without an identity. And Charlotte does need one really bad!!!
I think it best to be without than contrived...they already have it: Nascar and Banking, that's enough. What's Columbus, OH or Indianapolis' true identity? What about Des Moines, Sacramento, Salt Lake or Little Rock? All I know about Phoenix is that it is hotter than hell. Fake ass LA? What about Houston?...Houston we have a problem or Cambridge we have a problem. Actually, Cambridge, MA was set to be NASA's research hub before Houston but plans changed after JFK's assassination. Learnt bout that on a tour in Boston where the guide kindly pointed out where JFK had planned to build it in Cambridge, of course plans changed once LBJ (Texan) took office. Remember Kennedy was the race to space prez.

Cambridge, Mass.: Space Center That Wasn't

What about Minneapolis? I'm older and do recall the Mary Tyler Moore show and that great big mall. Some so-called identities were acquired over time for economic (Detroit) or entertainment (Nashville) reasons. Is it more in need of a sexier identity or an icon...or both. I think an icon be better..space needle, arch, etc. How about a 300 foot statue of a $100 dollar bill laced in gold and grills to symbolize Charlotte's financial and southern heritage, lol.

Charlotte already has an identity.

Old 04-18-2016, 05:26 PM

1,826 posts, read 2,493,493 times
Quote:
Because, your nothing without an identity. And Charlotte does need one really bad!!!
Then that would mean only a handful of cities in the entire country are worthy of not being called "nothing".

Old 04-19-2016, 08:26 AM

37,875 posts, read 41,896,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Essequamvideri View Post
No. It's specifically a Charlotte thing.

https://chrispearce52.wordpress.com/...y-of-churches/
Not really: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/City_of_Churches And that list doesn't include cities with related nicknames, such as Charleston which is known as the Holy City because of the numerous church steeples which comprise the historic skyline.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Aristotle View Post
I think it best to be without than contrived...they already have it: Nascar and Banking, that's enough. What's Columbus, OH or Indianapolis' true identity? What about Des Moines, Sacramento, Salt Lake or Little Rock? All I know about Phoenix is that it is hotter than hell. Fake ass LA? What about Houston?...Houston we have a problem or Cambridge we have a problem. Actually, Cambridge, MA was set to be NASA's research hub before Houston but plans changed after JFK's assassination. Learnt bout that on a tour in Boston where the guide kindly pointed out where JFK had planned to build it in Cambridge, of course plans changed once LBJ (Texan) took office. Remember Kennedy was the race to space prez.

What about Minneapolis? I'm older and do recall the Mary Tyler Moore show and that great big mall. Some so-called identities were acquired over time for economic (Detroit) or entertainment (Nashville) reasons. Is it more in need of a sexier identity or an icon...or both. I think an icon be better..space needle, arch, etc. How about a 300 foot statue of a $100 dollar bill laced in gold and grills to symbolize Charlotte's financial and southern heritage, lol.

I completely agree with this. There are actually lots of great cities in the U.S. which offer a lot that don't necessarily have strong identities, as you pointed out. And trying to come up with something cheesy for marketing purposes is just....well....yeah.

Old 04-19-2016, 09:28 AM

398 posts, read 497,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Aristotle View Post

This! +1,000,000
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte