Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-13-2016, 02:03 PM

15,355 posts, read 12,638,570 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
It's really not. Its history is different, plus it's a state capital, college/university city, entertainment is huge, it's more liberal in the core, it has rougher hoods, etc. I think people may be focused primarily on the suburbs when they talk about similarities, which is understandable since both metros are known for being low-density, heavily sprawled metros and suburbia is pretty much suburbia wherever you go. They certainly share notable similarities but there are just as many notable differences within the cities themselves.
outside of entertainment I really can't see where ATL is much different. Its a state capital but how does that really change the feel of the city?

You pretty much confirmed our theory because all your differences are based on ATL being larger but it's low density, sprawling with tougher hoods because there are more people in those hoods.

and every cities history is different but that's not what we are discussing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2016, 07:24 PM

37,875 posts, read 41,896,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Feltdesigner View Post
outside of entertainment I really can't see where ATL is much different. Its a state capital but how does that really change the feel of the city?
Indirectly it does due to Atlanta's history as a city and its relationship to the state, which is quite different than Charlotte. And it actually goes beyond state government; Atlanta is also home to many federal government regional offices as well as the CDC which gives the local economy a different flavor than Charlotte. Also you have significantly smaller cities/metros with hoods just as rough or rougher than Atlanta, such as NOLA and Memphis.

Quote:
You pretty much confirmed our theory because all your differences are based on ATL being larger but it's low density, sprawling with tougher hoods because there are more people in those hoods.
None of the differences I mentioned are based solely on size; look at Houston and Dallas as examples. Dallas is pretty weak on the higher ed front, Houston isn't known for its LGBTcommunity like Atlanta, and neither one has the music and TV/film industry of Atlanta.

Atlanta's hoods aren't rougher because of more people in them; it's due to history. Atlanta is home to the nation's first public housing project which set the precedent for how the hoods there would develop.

Quote:
and every cities history is different but that's not what we are discussing.
History plays a huge role here; Atlanta and Charlotte didn't grow and develop in vacuums.

Old 04-14-2016, 07:27 AM

3,866 posts, read 4,273,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
Indirectly it does due to Atlanta's history as a city and its relationship to the state, which is quite different than Charlotte. And it actually goes beyond state government; Atlanta is also home to many federal government regional offices as well as the CDC which gives the local economy a different flavor than Charlotte. Also you have significantly smaller cities/metros with hoods just as rough or rougher than Atlanta, such as NOLA and Memphis.

None of the differences I mentioned are based solely on size; look at Houston and Dallas as examples. Dallas is pretty weak on the higher ed front, Houston isn't known for its LGBTcommunity like Atlanta, and neither one has the music and TV/film industry of Atlanta.

Atlanta's hoods aren't rougher because of more people in them; it's due to history. Atlanta is home to the nation's first public housing project which set the precedent for how the hoods there would develop.

History plays a huge role here; Atlanta and Charlotte didn't grow and develop in vacuums.
Your analysis is coming from a city history and infrastructure enthusiast. The hoods in Durham, Houston, Dallas, Bham, Memphis, Richmond, Charlotte, Atlanta, etc have pretty much the same look (shot gun houses, etc). Some are just bigger and rougher around the edges than others. There aren't any Marcy Projects (Brooklyn), Anacostia (DC), etc in the south.

As Felt stated, the people and culture are similar, especially between Atlanta and Charlotte due to proximity and desire for national recognition. Neither city is positioned on a body of water or in a mountainous setting. They have different histories and economies but Nascar, Sweet Tea, etc.. and the whole I-85 corridor boasts significant regional interaction and relationship. Atlanta is simply a big ass southern city on I-85 with a lot of history and black folk. And Charlotte not so big, knocked down a lot of old buildings and doesn't have the university presence.

Old 04-14-2016, 08:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Aristotle View Post
Your analysis is coming from a city history and infrastructure enthusiast. The hoods in Durham, Houston, Dallas, Bham, Memphis, Richmond, Charlotte, Atlanta, etc have pretty much the same look (shot gun houses, etc). Some are just bigger and rougher around the edges than others. There aren't any Marcy Projects (Brooklyn), Anacostia (DC), etc in the south.

As Felt stated, the people and culture are similar, especially between Atlanta and Charlotte due to proximity and desire for national recognition. Neither city is positioned on a body of water or in a mountainous setting. They have different histories and economies but Nascar, Sweet Tea, etc.. and the whole I-85 corridor boasts significant regional interaction and relationship. Atlanta is simply a big ass southern city on I-85 with a lot of history and black folk. And Charlotte not so big, knocked down a lot of old buildings and doesn't have the university presence.
exactly, I'm not talking about the history of the cities, no 2 cities share the same history.

I'm talking about the look, feel, atmosphere, density, etc.

Old 04-14-2016, 11:43 AM

37,875 posts, read 41,896,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Aristotle View Post

Well that's why we're all here, isn't it? Because we are all urban enthusiasts and such? So yeah, we get into the nitty gritty of all this stuff on this forum.

At the least, you should say that Atlanta is a bigger, blacker, more educated, gayer, rougher, more entertainment-oriented, more progressive, etc. version of Charlotte. The differences certainly go beyond size and how many Black people they have.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Feltdesigner View Post
exactly, I'm not talking about the history of the cities, no 2 cities share the same history.

I'm talking about the look, feel, atmosphere, density, etc.
You don't think history has anything to do with how a city has developed, its built environment, the feel, etc.?

Old 04-14-2016, 12:20 PM

4,010 posts, read 3,749,903 times
I dont like people saying "this city is a larger version of this city" no. Atlanta, like most other cities have too many distinct features to be compared to other cities. Lets just say Charlotte is Charlotte and Atlanta is Atlanta. Fayetteville is not a smaller version of Charlotte. Norman, NC is not a smaller version of Fayetteville. We have to stop labeling cities "This city is a larger/smaller version of this city" because this gives people unrealistic expectations. Generally speaking.

Old 04-15-2016, 02:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fieldm View Post
I dont like people saying "this city is a larger version of this city" no. Atlanta, like most other cities have too many distinct features to be compared to other cities. Lets just say Charlotte is Charlotte and Atlanta is Atlanta. Fayetteville is not a smaller version of Charlotte. Norman, NC is not a smaller version of Fayetteville. We have to stop labeling cities "This city is a larger/smaller version of this city" because this gives people unrealistic expectations. Generally speaking.
what's funny is 3 family members from Atlanta visit me from time to time and they enjoy Charlotte and say it reminds them of a smaller Atlanta.

I don't think it has anything to do with expectations. This is a thread about Charlottes identity and I think some people feel like it's headed in the direction of ATL.

but I do agree with Mutiny, Atlanta is so much gayer than Charlotte. I'm a little embarassed by all the hilarious stories I have of almost going into a packed bar or club before realizing it isn't my crowd. Its happened in Charlotte the first week I arrived too. lol...

check please!!!

Old 04-15-2016, 02:19 PM

671 posts, read 1,117,998 times
How many of the roads have Amity in the name? I think of Amity as a road that wanders which is how I think of Charlotte, all roads wander. I can't find my way around anywhere.
It also means friendly or amiable so doesn't offend anyone.
Sharon Amity is the road I remember best but think there was another one.

Old 04-16-2016, 10:26 AM

162 posts, read 153,968 times
Atlanta is, in some respects, a bigger version of Charlotte. However, it'definitely has more of a real city feel than Charlotte.

Last edited by BorisGruschenko1812; 04-16-2016 at 10:38 AM..

Old 04-17-2016, 08:28 AM

159 posts, read 156,597 times
Default Really?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlotteborn View Post
I have no idea why anyone feels the need for Charlotte to have an 'identity'.

I think you have way too much time on your hands...
Because, your nothing without an identity. And Charlotte does need one really bad!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte