Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-28-2014, 04:39 PM

52,433 posts, read 26,603,454 times

Advertisements

Why does Charlotte need an "identity"?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-28-2014, 05:18 PM

3,941 posts, read 6,721,070 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnc48 View Post
Charlotte is not a city, it is a forest with houses in it.
This caught me off guard! Lol!

Old 10-28-2014, 06:44 PM

2,348 posts, read 3,461,335 times
How about "The city Yanks love to move to!"?? Or maybe even "The city Yanks try to tell us what we should be!"?? I really am fine with either one.

Kidding.

Sorta.

Old 10-28-2014, 07:17 PM

22,974 posts, read 65,493,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pumbaa View Post
But Cincy is the original Queen City so that isn't really even their own.
Your incorrect, Charlotte was named Queen City before Cincinnati was and probably other 28 towns known as Queen City except maybe Charlottesville Virginia and the Queen City refers to this city heritage deeper than Cincy is. Cinci, was known as Queen of the West in 1820 after 40 years it was established. Settlers first arrived in Virginia and North Carolina before heading west. Charlotte is refer it Queen City after Queen Charlotte Sophia Mecklenburg Strelitz (hence the county name and relentless Queens Road streets.) The loyalists during 1768 settled at Native American trading path what is known as Trade & Tryon to play homage to King George in naming this town after his wife known then as Charlotte Town.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulok View Post
Paris is the city of love, Venice the underwater city, Chicago the windy city, New York the city that never sleeps, you get the point... but what is Charlotte?

We try to be "Race city" but why? Because we have (some would say undeservedly) the NASCAR Hall of Fame? Concord has the race track and Mooresville already has the moniker Race City.

We have no identity, even as a financial capital we're only second to New York's Wall Street/Manhattan district.

If I were someone in the position to do so I would have Charlotte embrace the title of "The Queen City", not just in name but in philosophy. Organize the biggest, Gay Pride parade the world has ever seen. Call it Charlotte's Coming Out parade as being America's LGBT friendliest city.

Be one of the few to embrace the civil unions and equality for all human beings. I bet it will do wonders for the community spirit.
I like Queen City base on the heritage mention above, I like how the architecture of what use to be known as NCNB but today BOA at the corner the city was founded built a tower with a crown that is gorgeous at night. Even in the day light it still has a crown appeal that makes Charlotte skyline unique.

I see Charlotte as gay friendly, sure it not on same level as larger cities but it is rather tolerant and gainfully acceptance.
Charlotte has I believe one of the oldest operating gay nightclubs in the South-East definitely oldest operating club in Charlotte. Miami had a gay bar that has been open since the 20's but announce this week it closing it doors and Atlanta had a club built in 70's but has changed names and ownership and it also just a bar.
Scorpios, here in Charlotte has had the same management and operated since 1969 and has expanded multilevel.
I beyond my club years now, My partner and I only go when a special night or performance like someone from RuPaul Drag Race.

It is possible Charlotte Pride Festival could become biggest Pride Festival in South East as this past year over 100,000 thousand attended which is amazing also an awesome economic boost for the city. It did this in only three years when it moved its first festival held on Trade Street. This is the second year of hosting a Parade.
This is also impressive since I think it took Atlanta six years to reach that crowd estimate. They currently had 300,000 this past year.
I hated that I missed this year Charlotte Pride, but spending time with family on vacation was more important . I thought it was really cool they had LeeAnn Rimes perform on stage. ( I cant recollect any other festival in Charlotte that had a current Grammy artist on stage that didnt require tickets.
btw she just release a Christmas album yesterday.
The festival is so much fun we go both days the three years prior, almost from opening til closing. We never been to the Gay Splash Day at the White Water Center might be because it just a short drive to ride in natural setting.

Does Charlotte need a name though as it multi-facet it still largest distribution hub in the state and the growing renewable energy.
Charlotte has one of the cleanest Uptown's also it is good with it curb appeal with landscaping and unique art.
I also like Charlotte has incredible day life as something always seem to be going on especially from last two months til Christmas.
IMO Charlotte doesn't need a moniker as it can be known and enjoyed for many things

Last edited by SunnyKayak; 10-29-2014 at 09:05 AM..

Old 10-28-2014, 07:32 PM

272 posts, read 380,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pumbaa View Post
But Cincy is the original Queen City so that isn't really even their own.

False....Charlotte was founded Before Cincy, so..um...Charlotte is the REAL Queen city, also named after a REAL Queen. Do your research.

Old 10-28-2014, 07:33 PM

272 posts, read 380,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnyKayak View Post
Your incorrect, Charlotte was named Queen City before Cincinnati was and probably other 28 towns known as Queen City except maybe Charlottesville Virginia and the Queen City refers to this city heritage deeper than Cincy is. Cinci, was known as Queen of the West in 1820 after 40 years it was established. Settlers first arrived in Virginia and North Carolina before heading west. Charlotte is refer it Queen City after Queen Charlotte Sophia Mecklenburg Strelitz (hence the county name and relentless Queens Road streets.) The loyalists during 1768 settled at Native American trading path what is known as Trade & Tryon to play homage to King George in naming this town after his wife known then as Charlotte Town.

I like Queen City base on the heritage mention above, I like how the architecture of what use to be known as NCNB but today BOA at the corner the city was founded built a tower with a crown that is gorgeous at night. Even in the day light it still has a crown appeal that makes Charlotte skyline unique.

I see Charlotte as gay friendly, sure it not on same level as larger cities but it is rather tolerant and gainfully acceptance.
Charlotte has I believe one of the oldest operating gay nightclubs in the South-East definitely oldest operating club in Charlotte. Miami had a gay bar that has been open since the 20's but announce this week it closing it doors and Atlanta had a club built in 70's but has changed names and ownership and it also just a bar.
Scorpios, here in Charlotte has had the same management and operated since 1969 and has expanded multilevel.
I beyond my club years now, My partner and I only go when a special night or performance like someone from RuPaul Drag Race.

It is possible Charlotte Pride Festival could become biggest Pride Festival in South East as this past year over 100,000 thousand attended which is amazing also an awesome economic boost for the city. It did this in only three years when it moved its first festival held on Trade Street. This is the second year of hosting a Parade.
This is also impressive since I think it took Atlanta six years to reach that crowd estimate. They currently had 300,000 this past year.
I hated that I missed this year Charlotte Pride, but spending time with family on vacation was more important . I thought it was really cool they had LeeAnn Rimes perform on stage. ( I cant recollect any other festival in Charlotte that had a current Grammy artist on stage that didnt require tickets excluding opening ceremony.)
btw she just release a Christmas album yesterday.
The festival is so much fun we go both days the three years prior, almost from opening til closing. We never been to the Gay Splash Day at the White Water Center might be because it just a short drive to ride in natural setting.

Does Charlotte need a name though as it multi-facet it still largest distribution hub in the state and the growing renewable energy.
Charlotte has one of the cleanest Uptown's also it is good with it curb appeal with landscaping and unique art.
I also like Charlotte has incredible day life as something always seem to be going on especially from last two months til Christmas.
IMO Charlotte doesn't need a moniker as it can be known and enjoyed for many things
Oops, you already corrected our buddy

Old 10-28-2014, 07:48 PM

7,074 posts, read 12,338,822 times
Identities are overrated. Detroit certainly has one and so does Cleveland. Also, it's impossible for a transplant-city like Charlotte to have an identity. Identities come when areas have multiple generations of natives with a very small percentage of transplants. In other words, Charlotte's identity will develop about 40 years after the growth has peaked. Until then, "rapidly growing/evolving Sunbelt metro" is Charlotte's identity.

Old 10-28-2014, 07:52 PM

1,051 posts, read 1,597,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rahlee boy View Post
Oops, you already corrected our buddy
My bad should have said Charlotte isn't the only queen city.

Old 10-28-2014, 08:16 PM

23,813 posts, read 34,657,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbancharlotte View Post
Identities are overrated. Detroit certainly has one and so does Cleveland. Also, it's impossible for a transplant-city like Charlotte to have an identity. Identities come when areas have multiple generations of natives with a very small percentage of transplants. In other words, Charlotte's identity will develop about 40 years after the growth has peaked. Until then, "rapidly growing/evolving Sunbelt metro" is Charlotte's identity.
I agree that an identity slogan isn't necessary. One the other hand, the Quakers haven't been the majority in the Quaker City for over a century, but it was still founded by a Quaker. Queen City is really the best way to go for Charlotte but to try to tie that a giant Gay Pride parade seems contrived. It is what it is. A city named after a real queen.

Old 10-28-2014, 08:44 PM

4,761 posts, read 7,830,787 times
Charlotte doesn't need an identity as people want to place one on it. Charlotte already has one. It is a good city with lots to do. We feature all walks of life from everywhere in the country and feature a growing international population. We don't need a nickname, or title, or bragging rights. Charlotte didn't attract the growth it has seen with a fancy marketing campaign. Charlotte saw its growth because it is a good place to live.

Queens, gays, banking, etc. are not Charlotte's identity. We have it all even though we lack in certain areas. Charlotte is a place where you can, for the most part, come and be who you are, or want to be, and people won't care. You can be YOU in Charlotte. Charlotte is a little bit south and a little bit north. We're a little bit Country and a little bit Rock n Roll. To put an identity on Charlotte is to strangle Charlotte's true identity.

Charlotte is what Charlotte is. No branding needed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte