Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-11-2016, 07:20 PM

3,866 posts, read 4,273,825 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
The South isn't a monolithic region at all, just like the Northeast, West Coast, and Midwest aren't. I'd never say NYC is just a bigger version of Boston or Philly or LA is a bigger version of San Diego or Chicago is just a bigger Detroit. Of course there are regional similarities but reducing city A to being nothing more than a bigger version of city B is just way off the mark.

We'll just agree to disagree.
Lol, they really are especially NYC and Philly. A southerner could land in a rowhouse neighborhood in Philly, NYC, DC, Baltimore or Boston and really have no clue as to what city it is. Been there, done that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2016, 07:26 PM
NCN

21,662 posts, read 25,617,651 times
Charlotte could be the city whose streets are paved with gold. And they are!

The best logo for Charlotte was "Where America first found gold."

Old 04-11-2016, 07:35 PM

Quote:
It's really not. Its history is different, plus it's a state capital, college/university city, entertainment is huge, it's more liberal in the core, it has rougher hoods, etc. I think people may be focused primarily on the suburbs when they talk about similarities, which is understandable since both metros are known for being low-density, heavily sprawled metros and suburbia is pretty much suburbia wherever you go. They certainly share notable similarities but there are just as many notable differences within the cities themselves.
But you are an urban enthusiast and study of those subtle differences. Compared to Philly/NYC, etc, Atlanta's urban core is relatively small. The population density, neighborhoods, etc of northeast corridor cities are similar. And they talk funny up there.

I do agree that Atlanta does have pocket of that urbanity but it's sparse compared to those cities.

Old 04-11-2016, 07:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Staysean23 View Post
That comment was just a retaliation comment. They just needed to get back at me for what I said.lol
Not really, just setting the record straight. You seem to have a thing for the Charlotte forum...lol, maybe it's to let us know you added a lane to one of those big ass highways and or new gate to a terminal. I have no idea as to what the hell is happening in the Atlanta forum, don't care, the place is meaningless to me in the grand scheme of things. Try it out for a while. Can't wait to visit Hotlanta soon though.

Old 04-12-2016, 09:05 AM

37,875 posts, read 41,896,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Aristotle View Post
Lol, they really are especially NYC and Philly. A southerner could land in a rowhouse neighborhood in Philly, NYC, DC, Baltimore or Boston and really have no clue as to what city it is. Been there, done that.
That's because to most Southern eyes, all rowhouses look the same. To people who are familiar with rowhouse neighborhoods, they are aware of the differences in styles among them.

We just see this issue differently and I'm sure most people from those cities would consider such a characterization a gross oversimplification.

Old 04-12-2016, 09:35 AM

23,813 posts, read 34,657,307 times
Quote:
That's because to most Southern eyes, all rowhouses look the same. To people who are familiar with rowhouse neighborhoods, they are aware of the differences in styles among them.

We just see this issue differently and I'm sure most people from those cities would consider such a characterization a gross oversimplification.
Philadelphians do not make comparisons to NYC other than being on the NE rail corridor. Philadelphians do make comparisons to Baltimore. Younger Philadelphians do, occasionally, make comparisons to Brooklyn. On a city to city comparison Philadelphia & Baltimore are seen to have many more points to compare, including accents. To expand it to 3 cities, you have to go with Philadelphia, Baltimore, & DC.

Old 04-12-2016, 11:22 AM

Quote:

That's my point. When you're down south it's very apparent as to where you are in the majority of cities. The urban fabric, shot gun & brick ranch style homes, culture, etc. and vice versa when you're in the northeastern corridor. No matter the growth in Atlanta, Charlotte, etc, it's to easy to deduce where you are and doesn't require an in depth study. Most suburbs are homogeneous but in the inner city and ring neighborhoods, there is an obvious and distinct difference.

You want find many of these up nawf:

Old 04-12-2016, 01:59 PM

Quote:
That's my point. When you're down south it's very apparent as to where you are in the majority of cities. The urban fabric, shot gun & brick ranch style homes, culture, etc. and vice versa when you're in the northeastern corridor. No matter the growth in Atlanta, Charlotte, etc, it's to easy to deduce where you are and doesn't require an in depth study. Most suburbs are homogeneous but in the inner city and ring neighborhoods, there is an obvious and distinct difference.

You want find many of these up nawf:

I'm not disputing the similarities that exist among cities within regions; that much is obvious. I simply disagree with the characterization that smaller cities within regions are just "smaller versions" of larger cities. That's true of some cities for sure, but just not across the board.

Old 04-13-2016, 06:46 AM

Quote:
I'm not disputing the similarities that exist among cities within regions; that much is obvious. I simply disagree with the characterization that smaller cities within regions are just "smaller versions" of larger cities. That's true of some cities for sure, but just not across the board.
Of course it's a gross generalization but due to proximity, culture, etc etc. Atlanta and Charlotte are more similar than different. Aside from Atlanta being a state capitol and significantly larger (vibrant, etc), both have similar growth patterns (Charlotte 30 years behind), business connections, national/global recognition aspirations, etc. I don't think another city within a 500 mile radius of Atlanta is as close to being a carbon copy with respect pursuing status elevation as Charlotte. Nashville, Memphis, Bham, Raleigh, Columbia, etc all have their thing but none seem to have the market/polish of those two.

Old 04-13-2016, 11:59 AM

Quote:
Of course it's a gross generalization but due to proximity, culture, etc etc. Atlanta and Charlotte are more similar than different.
With that, I can agree.

Quote:
Aside from Atlanta being a state capitol and significantly larger (vibrant, etc), both have similar growth patterns (Charlotte 30 years behind), business connections, national/global recognition aspirations, etc. I don't think another city within a 500 mile radius of Atlanta is as close to being a carbon copy with respect pursuing status elevation as Charlotte. Nashville, Memphis, Bham, Raleigh, Columbia, etc all have their thing but none seem to have the market/polish of those two.
True but overall, I think Nashville probably shares more similarities with Atlanta than Charlotte, particularly when it comes to the large cluster of colleges/universities (including HBCUs), music scene, and state capital status.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte