Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-26-2016, 07:53 AM

28,353 posts, read 16,395,288 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by radgedyann View Post
Hello,

I've accepted a job a CMC Main and am working on getting relocated. I am a single, 35yo female looking for a 1-2 bedroom apartment.
Wishlist:
-short commute (<30min)
-assigned parking
-safety--secure building and parking
-more young professional tenants than college kids (no offense, just btdt)
-in-unit washer and dryer or hookups
-budget ideally under $2000

There are a lot of properties available. Many buildings seem to have very mixed reviews, with complaints about quality of construction/noise between units, security gates that only function intermittently, lack of cleanliness of common areas and grounds, cheap and frequently broken in-unit appliances, etc.

Are there local folks who can recommend particular properties, or properties to avoid? I'd love to have a shortlist before my apartment hunting visit.

Thanks in advance.
Ann

A 30 min commute opens up a lot of possibilities. I would take online reviews with a grain of salt - it's mostly people that are unhappy that feel strongly enough to enter reviews.

Sorry, I've been out of the rental market for far too long to offer any more constructive advice than that.

In general, if you're trying to stay away from the fresh-out-of-college-and-still-ready-to-party 20-somethings, you'll want to stay away from South End.

Dilworth and Elizabeth are both wonderful neighborhoods with lots to do that would give you very short commutes.

Top 53 Apartments for Rent in the Dilworth neighborhood of Charlotte, NC - realtor.com®

Top 23 Apartments for Rent in the Elizabeth neighborhood of Charlotte, NC - realtor.com®
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-31-2016, 09:49 AM

3 posts, read 12,717 times
Smile Great feedback

Quote:
Originally Posted by SScotland View Post
Warm welcome to everyone relocating to the Charlotte, NC area soon! Moving your family from another state can be a nerve wrecking experience...I know I did it myself. The one piece of advice I have found to be most effective as a fellow mom and as a working professional is this....when you come to the Charlotte area to visit and look around prior to making the move, which ever area or town you fall in love with...make sure that's where you make your move to.

If it's Charlotte you fall in love with---move to Charlotte! If it's cornelius or Waxhaw--make sure that is where you choose to live. The reason I say this is because when my family and I moved here from Tampa, FL it was Charlotte and everything south of Charlotte that we loved, then my husband landed a job in Mooresville....we looked at the map and did some research and concluded that it wasn't too far from CLT so we should take it and make the move thinking CLT is just a bit down Hwy 77 and we would enjoy the city that we fell in love with. Well...umm...it didn't turn out that way at all! We had no idea how detached we were from CLT and much of a traveling chore it would be to experience the city. We didn't realize how separated all the little areas are and how each area of town "lives" within itself...not used to that at all! Sooo we spent that whole year unhappy.....packed up and headed to south Charlotte and we are finally "living" again!! My point is, please go with your gut and don't settle for second best! Happy moves
Great feebback SScotland !!!
I did just that. We finally moved in September Exploring & loving South Charlotte !!

Old 11-05-2016, 05:00 AM

457 posts, read 1,378,041 times
Congratulations on your relo!! Do you have a date for your relo to Charlotte? I work at a very beautiful, brand new, upscale community in South Park, The Encore, very safe, secured underground parking lot and excellent amenities, and we are offering attractive specials on our 1 & 2 bedroom floor plans; check out the website, and best of luck to you!!

Charlotte North Carolina Apartments: The Encore SouthPark

Old 12-08-2016, 05:29 PM

7 posts, read 26,667 times
Joining the club in one month. NJ to Concord. I can smell the freedom and BBQ and it smells delicious. I hate moving but I can't wait until nice day!

Old 12-17-2016, 09:12 PM

4 posts, read 11,288 times
Hey everybody maybe moving to Charlotte could transfer there for my job. I am a PC Tech and I would be traveling around the city to multiple locations for certain bank chain daily. How is the traffic?

Need advice for a good and safe location for renting an apartment. The office is located in the center of the city and would travel mostly from there out.

Budget: $800 maybe $900
Single no kids.

I make around $2500 to $2700 a month

What is the cost of living there? Utilities for an average apartment 1 or 2 bedroom.

How much a month for everything rent, utilities cell, car insurance, groceries anything I missed? I was thinking around $1900 to $2000 a month?

Thanks everybody.

Old 12-28-2016, 03:29 PM

11 posts, read 12,703 times
Your budget looks pretty spot on. The big ones are

Rent
Rent Utilities (Heat, Electric, Internet/Cable)
Car
Car Insurance
Phone
Groceries
Gas

I take home around the same as you. You can find a decent apartment for 800-900.

Can always look for a roommate as well. I know my plan for next year is to do that to cut down on expenses like rent

Last edited by mike2789; 12-28-2016 at 03:30 PM.. Reason: Added the last comment

Old 01-02-2017, 04:29 PM

1,154 posts, read 1,427,065 times
Ten years of movers to Charlotte...COM'MON DOWWWWWWWN!!!! You may have my spot....gladly. It was better when they rolled up the streets at 11pm. I'm NOT in the mood for a roomie any longer.

Old 01-03-2017, 02:19 AM

3,941 posts, read 6,730,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mooksmom View Post
Ten years of movers to Charlotte...COM'MON DOWWWWWWWN!!!! You may have my spot....gladly. It was better when they rolled up the streets at 11pm. I'm NOT in the mood for a roomie any longer.
Not quite sure, but are you insinuating that you are leaving Charlotte?

Old 01-06-2017, 10:55 AM

6,799 posts, read 7,388,775 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goolsbyjazz View Post
Not quite sure, but are you insinuating that you are leaving Charlotte?
LOL, she's been on here for years "threatening" to leave Charlotte. Yet, here's her advise to someone else on another thread:

"Oh! The DRAMA! Seven long years of it...you DO know people can become addicted to chronic drama in their lives??
EZ 'fix' for your 'problem=MOVE. THAT would solve all your problems!?"

Pot, meet kettle. Apparently, she can't take her own advice.

Old 01-06-2017, 11:41 AM

501 posts, read 529,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BC1960 View Post
LOL, she's been on here for years "threatening" to leave Charlotte. Yet, here's her advise to someone else on another thread:

"Oh! The DRAMA! Seven long years of it...you DO know people can become addicted to chronic drama in their lives??
EZ 'fix' for your 'problem=MOVE. THAT would solve all your problems!?"

Pot, meet kettle. Apparently, she can't take her own advice.
I bet she has six cats living with her.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte