Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-16-2017, 09:19 AM

1 posts, read 3,611 times

Advertisements

Moving to charlotte / fort mill if any one has a decent room to share please call me (205) 5.2.9 1-3-9-5
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-11-2017, 07:56 PM

1 posts, read 3,169 times
Moving to Charlotte from Northern CA (SF, Sacramento and Chico) on the 1st of November (2017). Bringing 2 millennials, a 2 yr-old girl, 3 dogs, lost count of how many cats and a gecko. From what I read, the humidity is going to kill us and the Charlottitis (heavy allergies during Springtime) will have me popping Zyrtex constantly. I'll trade the humidity discomfort for the FIREFLIES!!

I think CA has gone mad with its laws, immigration problems, cost of living, taxes and housing prices. I will be able to buy a nice size 3-4 bedroom home in Charlotte for the same price as a tiny 2/1 dump in CA.

One thing I have noticed is that there are not that many fences in Charlotte and a vast majority of homes have HOAs. I need a fence and despise HOAs.

My political views are open-minded and conservative. I don't do organized religion. I'm college educated and work in Human Resources Management. My daughter owns her own business making clothes for toddlers. At first we will be living in the Mint Hill/Marlwood area and I've only seen the view from Google Earth. Don't know if this is a good choice for a rental.

Are there weird laws or customs that might be a surprise for us newcomers (like how you're not allowed to pump your own gas in Oregon)? Do you have any suggestions on how to immerse yourself in the city/culture?

I can't wait for the thunderstorms!!!! Gotta love the rain!

Old 10-12-2017, 10:38 PM

6,319 posts, read 10,351,454 times
Be prepared for a fair amount things not to be open on Sundays. You used to not be able to buy alcohol before noon on Sundays, but they just changed it to 10:00.

Assuming you actually change over your license plate as required, you do need to pay a yearly property tax on your car (and a "highway use tax" but I think that's only one time). Car insurance tends to be less than a lot of other places though so often that more than makes up for it.

If I'm thinking of the right area, "Marlwood" isn't the "best" area, but it's not bad. Some might say some of the public schools in that area are not good but it doesn't look like that's an immediate concern. Obviously housing is going to be less than CA, but many of the more desirable areas in the Charlotte metro are starting to get a little pricey.

Old 10-17-2017, 09:18 AM

1 posts, read 2,980 times
Hi All! My husband and I are planning on moving from Pittsburgh to Charlotte within the next few months. Im in need of advice on what areas to look at. We're in our late 30s with no children. I work from home and his job requires that he travel most weeks so we need to be somewhat close to the airport (not necessarily next door but not across town). We'd like to stay in the 350-400k price range and we're used to a suburban neighborhood. We're both very social people and hope to find a neighborhood where we can meet people. My husband is a golfer and im an avid runner. I prefer to run on trails or bike paths so having one close by would be amazing. We're heading down next week to meet with an agent and look at areas. I think we're starting in the fort mill and matthews area. Any suggestions are greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance!

Old 10-17-2017, 09:29 AM

6,799 posts, read 7,388,775 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pghgirl44 View Post
Hi All! My husband and I are planning on moving from Pittsburgh to Charlotte within the next few months. Im in need of advice on what areas to look at. We're in our late 30s with no children. I work from home and his job requires that he travel most weeks so we need to be somewhat close to the airport (not necessarily next door but not across town). We'd like to stay in the 350-400k price range and we're used to a suburban neighborhood. We're both very social people and hope to find a neighborhood where we can meet people. My husband is a golfer and im an avid runner. I prefer to run on trails or bike paths so having one close by would be amazing. We're heading down next week to meet with an agent and look at areas. I think we're starting in the fort mill and matthews area. Any suggestions are greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance!
Matthews is a long way from the airport. You might like Ballantyne or Huntersville.

Old 10-17-2017, 01:15 PM

547 posts, read 774,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pghgirl44 View Post
While in the Fort Mill area, look on the Tega Cay peninsula. It’s built around a 27 hole golf course and has a walking/jogging path along the main road and down to the lake.

Old 10-24-2017, 02:21 PM

17 posts, read 23,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BC1960 View Post
Matthews is a long way from the airport. You might like Ballantyne or Huntersville.
Huntersville is also a long way from the airport. 77 is a parking lot a good part of the day and the lexus lanes will not do much to alleviate the traffic.

Old 10-24-2017, 03:19 PM

4,041 posts, read 4,964,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arnolitto View Post
Huntersville is also a long way from the airport. 77 is a parking lot a good part of the day and the lexus lanes will not do much to alleviate the traffic.
There's always 485.

Old 10-27-2017, 02:05 PM

6,799 posts, read 7,388,775 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arnolitto View Post
Yes, but you can take 485 and avoid 77.

Old 10-30-2017, 04:44 PM

54 posts, read 49,902 times
To BC 1960
You can't take 485 and avoid 77 traffic it's all over everywhere now. There's just no way around it. Parts of I-485 is like a parking lot as well. Too many parts NC isn't/wasn't ready for all the people the people on city council thought we were. People are making a mad dash to move from one problem to a bigger one coming in droves for the unknown.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte