Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-31-2017, 10:36 AM

2,411 posts, read 2,690,627 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark54g View Post
Hey, folks

Moving from Northern NJ in a few weeks. Going to be just over the border in Indian Land, but don't know the area that well.

Been doing the research, studying maps, but not sure exactly how to really prepare myself.

House/job stuff are all taken care of. Just not sure what things I need to know that I don't know I don't know.
Welcome to the area and I hope you have a great move!

Here is the information on registering your out of state vehicle in South Carolina:

Process: http://www.scdmvonline.com/DMVNew/de...?n=titleandreg

Fees: http://www.scdmvonline.com/DMVNew/default.aspx?n=fees

Lancaster Vehicle Property Tax: :: Lancaster County - SC ::

Not sure which supermarkets you will live closest too, and you will obviously develop a preference for some over others. Indian Land has a Walmart, Aldi, Publix, Harris Teeter, and Food Lion. Only Harris Teeter and Food Lion will require loyalty cards to get the best price.

You'll want to transfer your prescriptions. HealthPoint Pharmacy is a rare independently owned pharmacy in Indian Land. You also have Walmart, Publix, Harris Teeter, and Walgreens in Indian Land + others like CVS over the border.

When looking for a doctor in your insurance network, Carolinas HealthCare System and Novant Health are two of the largest system in the Charlotte area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2017, 12:03 PM

31 posts, read 47,700 times
Thanks, CLT4

I'm actually going to be within about 5mi of many of those supermarkets, and a CVS near the Harris Teeter seems like it'll be easiest, simply because all my stuff is with them already.

As for doctors, I'll have to find all new ones for everything... I wonder about the weirder stuff, like if, like some people have tried to warn me off about, will I be able to get recognizable bagels/pizza.

I'm sure I'll manage. Already distancing myself from some folks who claim I'm "moving to the sticks."

Old 05-31-2017, 12:31 PM

Quote:
Thanks, CLT4

I'm actually going to be within about 5mi of many of those supermarkets, and a CVS near the Harris Teeter seems like it'll be easiest, simply because all my stuff is with them already.

As for doctors, I'll have to find all new ones for everything... I wonder about the weirder stuff, like if, like some people have tried to warn me off about, will I be able to get recognizable bagels/pizza.

I'm sure I'll manage. Already distancing myself from some folks who claim I'm "moving to the sticks."
There are probably more ex-New York area residents in that part of greater Charlotte than locals. I'm not from NY, but you may find bagels to your liking at Bagel Bin & Deli, the Original Brooklyn Water Bagel, Owen's Bagel and Deli, Manhattan Bagel, etc...

Libretto's Pizzeria, Tony's Pizza, Hawthorne's New York Pizza, Mama's Pizza, and Luigi's Pizza will be some places serving pizza in the NY style you are used to.

Old 05-31-2017, 01:31 PM

Thanks again. You're awesome. Going to be eating out a lot until I'm settled in and have all my stuff hooked up.

Old 05-31-2017, 01:44 PM

Quote:
Thanks again. You're awesome. Going to be eating out a lot until I'm settled in and have all my stuff hooked up.
If you want to get a taste of some Southern staples while you adjust to the area, check out Local Dish and Flipside Cafe (Fort Mill), Midwood Smokehouse (Ballantyne), Fort Mill BBQ, etc... Terrace Cafe in Ballantyne does a delicious breakfast - great red velvet waffles. Try Bojangle's (fast food) out just to do it - it is a local institution. Get a bo-berry biscuit with your meal. If you are willing to drive further, Price's Chicken Coop and Leroy Fox are worth a visit.

Old 05-31-2017, 08:11 PM

869 posts, read 1,785,873 times
A couple of things. Original Brooklyn Water Bagel in Ballantyne has closed. Best pizza in Indian Land is Mama's Pizza in Cross Creek Plaza with Publix. Hawthorne's between Blakeney and Stone Creek on Rea Rd is excellent as well. I know those were both mentioned, just giving endorsements. City BBQ is also very good. I work at the Indian Land Publix and we sell a ton of bagels, many NY transplants say their as good as any in the area, and in general, Publix bakery is by far the best around.

Old 06-01-2017, 07:00 AM

I'm actually going to be pretty close to that plaza, Sparkman, thanks.

I was probably going to avoid Mama's because the reviews were lackluster online, but I'll give them a try. Can't get decent BBQ here, but we're spoiled for pizza. SO many sub-styles.

Never relocated this far away before.

It's going to be a total shock to the system, but I'm sure I'll adapt and love it.

Last edited by mark54g; 06-01-2017 at 07:16 AM..

Old 06-04-2017, 04:18 PM

215 posts, read 151,403 times
I am currently in Chicagoland and planning to move to NC or ATL. How is the IT Job Situation in NC Triangle area compared to Alpharetta / Atlanta area? Anyone has any idea? IT Development job

Old 06-04-2017, 05:27 PM

6,799 posts, read 7,372,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spicy_guy View Post
I am currently in Chicagoland and planning to move to NC or ATL. How is the IT Job Situation in NC Triangle area compared to Alpharetta / Atlanta area? Anyone has any idea? IT Development job
You already asked the question here: https://www.city-data.com/forum/north...e-raleigh.html

Old 06-12-2017, 01:37 PM

73 posts, read 91,610 times
Indian Land CAN be the sticks or instead a very convenient bedroom community to Ballantyne, Waxhaw, Fort Mill, Charlotte, etc.

Large geographic territory and we found it to be the perfect mix of rural/suburban life. We settled in just up the road from 521 near the existing High School and find it's a short drive to everything we need.

Best of luck!!

John
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte