Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-12-2019, 03:24 PM

5,457 posts, read 6,049,852 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by fritos56 View Post
Yes your taxes go up to pay for roads and such, but where I'm at,not your state, most of my property taxes are school taxes. Really did into what your school district spends money on and you would be surprised Why they are high.I know, I work for a school district, no not a teacher, but a lowly wage slave.
Around here the school systems are relatively frugal with our tax dollars. Please feel free to comment on your own area in their forum.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-14-2019, 01:48 PM

1,092 posts, read 1,148,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by getatag View Post
Around here the school systems are relatively frugal with our tax dollars. Please feel free to comment on your own area in their forum.

Charlotte area schools are very frugal with their tax dollars and are spending about as little as anywhere in the country. Despite being very diverse, urban and dealing with many social issues, the results are a least on par with what we should expect with a much higher level of spending. Just a reminder that when discussing education, it can't be taken for granted that more money will improve outcomes.

https://www.npr.org/2016/04/18/47425...-money-problem

Old 03-26-2019, 11:32 AM

334 posts, read 626,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brokensky View Post
And now they are going up. How did this happen??? I moved here to get away from high taxes!!!

Okay. Not my whine . . . just wondering what you all think about the newcomers who have moved here b/c of the "bargain tax rates" and now are whining (boo hooing) about taxes.

Am I being too critical? Did people who came here not realize that we would need to improve our roads and build more schools in order to accommodate them here?

I mean . . . seems to me . . . if anyone should be upset about taxes, it would be the longtime residents (especially those on fixed incomes) who did not anticipate the Charlotte Boom . . . (or UC boom, in case of UC residents) . . . and so are upset about their escalating tax bill. But instead, I saw two people on TV tonite - both transplants - who are complaining that they came here to get away from high taxes . . . and now they are upset b/c taxes are going up here.

Hmmmmm. Any thoughts?
we paid higher taxes all around this year too, but we know why. The tax cuts the GOP comgress and Trump gave the top 3% , and the vanishing cuts given to the middle class. so now we will all pay higher taxes, both state and fed. plus if this new healthcare thing goes through, we lose the pre exsisting condition law and insurance companies are going to raise rates off the chart. You want to be treated fairly middle class america, STOP VOTING REPUBLICAN.

Old 03-28-2019, 06:48 AM

120 posts, read 140,192 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LPnerd View Post
we paid higher taxes all around this year too, but we know why. The tax cuts the GOP comgress and Trump gave the top 3% , and the vanishing cuts given to the middle class. so now we will all pay higher taxes, both state and fed. plus if this new healthcare thing goes through, we lose the pre exsisting condition law and insurance companies are going to raise rates off the chart. You want to be treated fairly middle class america, STOP VOTING REPUBLICAN.
Sure, because, you know, Republicans ALWAYS vote for higher taxes.

Old 03-28-2019, 11:42 AM

6,957 posts, read 8,492,615 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by periwinkle06 View Post
Sure, because, you know, Republicans ALWAYS vote for higher taxes.

No, but in the end, they cause taxes to go higher and popular services to disappear. In North Carolina, they come up with concepts like "school choice" and create charter schools (most are no better, and in some cases worse, than the public schools) which drain money from the public schools. Also, thanks to the backward GOP legislature, our North Carolina Federal taxes are funding healthcare for California and New York, because NC is too cheap to pay its state share. North Carolina's message to poorer residents who are too rich for Medicaid and too poor for ACA plans is "sit in your double-wide and just die already!" That's why the GOP party is soo religious. "You Like Jesus?" "Thanks to us, you're going to meet him sooner than you think!"

Last edited by TheEmissary; 03-28-2019 at 11:51 AM..

Old 03-28-2019, 02:44 PM

120 posts, read 140,192 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheEmissary View Post
No, but in the end, they cause taxes to go higher and popular services to disappear. In North Carolina, they come up with concepts like "school choice" and create charter schools (most are no better, and in some cases worse, than the public schools) which drain money from the public schools. Also, thanks to the backward GOP legislature, our North Carolina Federal taxes are funding healthcare for California and New York, because NC is too cheap to pay its state share. North Carolina's message to poorer residents who are too rich for Medicaid and too poor for ACA plans is "sit in your double-wide and just die already!" That's why the GOP party is soo religious. "You Like Jesus?" "Thanks to us, you're going to meet him sooner than you think!"
New to NC so unsure about the legislative moves, but will tell you that in many places the public school system is essentially a private school system: people who can afford to pay more in property taxes in areas with good schools basically are paying tuition - the suburban school districts for example.

I feel for people who can't afford a home or a decent apartment but want their kids to get a solid education, because they're STUCK in schools where other parents don't care and the physical environment is run down. Ask them what they think about school choice. It's the most blatantly unfair system we operate, imho.

Old 03-28-2019, 05:37 PM

Quote:
New to NC so unsure about the legislative moves, but will tell you that in many places the public school system is essentially a private school system: people who can afford to pay more in property taxes in areas with good schools basically are paying tuition - the suburban school districts for example.

I feel for people who can't afford a home or a decent apartment but want their kids to get a solid education, because they're STUCK in schools where other parents don't care and the physical environment is run down. Ask them what they think about school choice. It's the most blatantly unfair system we operate, imho.

You need to do a bit more research on NC public schools and how they are funded by LEA's. If taxes are higher in one area, the are applied equally to all schools under that LEA's jurisdiction. There is not, by any stretch of the imagination, anywhere in NC where you will find a private public school system. There is not a sliding tax rate designed to make one school "better" than another regardless of what people are able to pay.

If there is an inequity in spending from school to school in the NC public system, it is front loaded to low performing schools, not high performing schools. To make that a bit clearer, a low performing school in a given LEA will be receiving larger per student funding than a higher performing school in the same LEA.

Old 03-28-2019, 06:26 PM

Quote:

Back in the 80's, the city of Charlotte was looked at as a model of desegregation using busing to integrate schools, but a NC Supreme Court decision rolled that back and Charlotte began to re-segregate on economic lines. Even though every school in NC is supposed to get equal funding per pupil, the reality is the richer areas seem to get newer schools with wealthier parents footing the bills for those "nice" extras.

The smart kids with parents who value education are the ones who suffer the most in the lower-ranked Charlotte "majority-minority" schools with test scores in the toilet. Charter schools don't seem to be a satisfactory solution though. Too many charters are run by unqualified people who end up bleeding the school system dry. Their owners abscond with school funds, underpay the teachers they hire and in time the school fails, leaving its pupils worse off than if they'd stayed in the public schools. Charter schools don't have to adhere to the same standards as public schools, either thanks to our Betsy Devos-brainwashed state legislators! Ever notice how few charter schools there are in wealthy areas?

Teacher salaries are also an issue throughout the state. A few years back, Texas school systems were recruiting in Charlotte and managed to siphon off more than a few STEM teachers with $15,000 signing bonuses. Those teachers ended up humming "The Yellow Rose of Texas" as they packed up their gear and headed to Dallas and other Texas cities. In the last few years, even the cheapskate NC legislature has started to realize that paltry teacher's salaries aren't going to produce Rhodes Scholars in North Carolina.

There must be a few states out there that produce good results without bleeding the taxpayers dry. Massachusetts or Minnesota perhaps? I wish I knew the magical formula!

Old 03-28-2019, 08:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheEmissary View Post
Back in the 80's, the city of Charlotte was looked at as a model of desegregation using busing to integrate schools, but a NC Supreme Court decision rolled that back and Charlotte began to re-segregate on economic lines. Even though every school in NC is supposed to get equal funding per pupil, the reality is the richer areas seem to get newer schools with wealthier parents footing the bills for those "nice" extras.

The smart kids with parents who value education are the ones who suffer the most in the lower-ranked Charlotte "majority-minority" schools with test scores in the toilet. Charter schools don't seem to be a satisfactory solution though. Too many charters are run by unqualified people who end up bleeding the school system dry. Their owners abscond with school funds, underpay the teachers they hire and in time the school fails, leaving its pupils worse off than if they'd stayed in the public schools. Charter schools don't have to adhere to the same standards as public schools, either thanks to our Betsy Devos-brainwashed state legislators! Ever notice how few charter schools there are in wealthy areas?

Teacher salaries are also an issue throughout the state. A few years back, Texas school systems were recruiting in Charlotte and managed to siphon off more than a few STEM teachers with $15,000 signing bonuses. Those teachers ended up humming "The Yellow Rose of Texas" as they packed up their gear and headed to Dallas and other Texas cities. In the last few years, even the cheapskate NC legislature has started to realize that paltry teacher's salaries aren't going to produce Rhodes Scholars in North Carolina.

There must be a few states out there that produce good results without bleeding the taxpayers dry. Massachusetts or Minnesota perhaps? I wish I knew the magical formula!
Can you please point me in the direction where such private funding is used in public schools. I know of no public school systems which accept parent donations for construction of nice extras in addition to newer buildings. I have seen parents or businesses donate to a school system but they may not specify which school receives the donation.

Old 03-28-2019, 08:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by getatag View Post
Can you please point me in the direction where such private funding is used in public schools. I know of no public school systems which accept parent donations for construction of nice extras in addition to newer buildings. I have seen parents or businesses donate to a school system but they may no specify which school receives the donation.

getatag - You can sure bet that if Hugh McColl donated a million bucks to CMS and presented it to the Superintendent in front of the school his great grandson went to, that building would most likely receive more upgrades than say, Hidden Valley. I guess they've "neutered" PTAs as well? No extra library funds for you! No playground upgrade to go with a hefty donation? See Rod Serling much?

Last edited by TheEmissary; 03-28-2019 at 08:40 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte