Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-10-2021, 12:26 AM

9,911 posts, read 7,699,445 times

Advertisements

Hey there! 10 month Charlotte resident. Looking to rent or purchase a home.

Considering few areas in and out of Charlotte.

Really interested in Kannapolis seems to have bit of growth and boom going on. Homes seen to be reasonably priced. Situated where you can hop over to Concord. Close enough to Charlotte or Winston-Salem if something interest you.

We were contemplating moving up to Winston-Salem but we lately seem to keep looking at properties in the Kannapolis/Concord area.

Any thoughts or feedback can give on these 2 cities? One over the other to consider moving to?

Last edited by RunD1987; 03-10-2021 at 12:57 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2021, 06:41 AM

4,041 posts, read 4,961,604 times
You should search this forum and check out the posts on Kannapolis and Concord.

Parts of Kannapolis are in Cabarrus County and would go to Cabarrus County Schools while other parts would go to Kannapolis City Schools.

I live in Western Concord and we've lived here for almost 15 years now. We enjoy the area and find it easy to get around. 485 makes it easy to get to the interstates and to other parts of Charlotte.

If you have any more questions after checking out the other threads let me know.

Old 03-10-2021, 07:39 AM

335 posts, read 428,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RunD1987 View Post
Hey there! 10 month Charlotte resident. Looking to rent or purchase a home.

Considering few areas in and out of Charlotte.

Really interested in Kannapolis seems to have bit of growth and boom going on. Homes seen to be reasonably priced. Situated where you can hop over to Concord. Close enough to Charlotte or Winston-Salem if something interest you.

We were contemplating moving up to Winston-Salem but we lately seem to keep looking at properties in the Kannapolis/Concord area.

Any thoughts or feedback can give on these 2 cities? One over the other to consider moving to?
I lived in Concord when I first moved to the Charlotte area 10 years ago...loved my time in Concord, and with the money being put into downtown Kannapolis and the growth of downtown Concord in the last five years, I think it would be a really good time to invest in Kannapolis...Charlotte is growing extremely quickly, so the idea of a nearby town investing in itself as much as Kannapolis has recently makes me think it is really setting itself up for success.
Great location relative to 85 to get to Charlotte or Winston, downtown Concord now has some brewery options and some good local restaurant options, Kannapolis proper is being overhauled, but as others mentioned, check the school assignments.

Old 03-10-2021, 07:46 AM

231 posts, read 213,789 times
That is a pretty big area and they both have places that are nice to live and areas that aren't. You probably need to be a little more specific about where in Concord and Kannapolis you are talking about and what you are looking for. Are you looking for an older home on a couple of acres or a shiny new town house? The sticks or somewhere walkable to restaurants, etc...

I generally view these two areas as being relatively interchangeable but, if you are talking about the Concord Mills area versus Kannapolis out near China Grove those are two different things. Similarly if you are talking about Kannapolis on George Liles versus Concord out near Cabarrus Arena those are also two different things.

I know Kannapolis is trying to revitalize downtown, I'm not sure how that is going to play out, previous plans to do that didn't seem to have much effect but, they were kind of half assed compared to what they are doing now with the ball field and so on. So maybe it will actually work this time around... maybe Covid will have killed any momentum they had going. IDK. Good luck!

Old 03-10-2021, 10:39 AM

9,911 posts, read 7,699,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeyRocksNC View Post
I lived in Concord when I first moved to the Charlotte area 10 years ago...loved my time in Concord, and with the money being put into downtown Kannapolis and the growth of downtown Concord in the last five years, I think it would be a really good time to invest in Kannapolis...Charlotte is growing extremely quickly, so the idea of a nearby town investing in itself as much as Kannapolis has recently makes me think it is really setting itself up for success.
Great location relative to 85 to get to Charlotte or Winston, downtown Concord now has some brewery options and some good local restaurant options, Kannapolis proper is being overhauled, but as others mentioned, check the school assignments.
Similar thoughts that it is a good time to invest!

Am concerned with schooling as NC report card reports West area of Cabarrus schools to be stronger than Kannapolis schools

Things could change

Old 03-10-2021, 12:02 PM

4,041 posts, read 4,961,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RunD1987 View Post
Similar thoughts that it is a good time to invest!

Am concerned with schooling as NC report card reports West area of Cabarrus schools to be stronger than Kannapolis schools

Things could change

The west side of Concord has always had strong schools. Lots of parent participation and the price of houses play into those strong schools. Things aren't getting any cheaper in terms of housing around this area. I have noticed that they are beginning to build a lot of townhomes in the area. There are 3 TH developments going up right now with a 4th on the way.

I wouldn't discount Kannapolis City Schools though. You have to actually talk to parents and tour the school to get a real feel for what the school is actually like.

Old 03-10-2021, 02:34 PM

4 posts, read 3,808 times
I lived in Concord for years, near Poplar Tent Road. I enjoyed living there, but with all of the development in that area of Concord, the schools are pretty overcrowded and the traffic (pre-Covid) is a challenge. Best of luck in your search!

Old 03-11-2021, 02:38 PM

1,502 posts, read 4,084,566 times
Concord and Kannapolis are pretty similar, with Concord being the largest of the 2. Schools in Cabarrus County I hear are way above anything Mecklenburg has to offer (Besides Hough).

Old 03-18-2021, 12:41 PM

615 posts, read 537,928 times
I believe the revitalization of downtown kannapolis will
have a positive impact on the area. Before, downtown Kannapolis had a lively but small downtown. But when Concord Mills opened it gradually killed downtown Kannapolis. But the new revitalization is built on a new ballpark, apartments, a brewery, and restaurants. We shall see, but visitors are showing up and only a few stores are open.

Old 03-18-2021, 03:59 PM

6,116 posts, read 4,608,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carolina_native View Post
Concord and Kannapolis are pretty similar, with Concord being the largest of the 2. Schools in Cabarrus County I hear are way above anything Mecklenburg has to offer (Besides Hough).
Hmmm....I don't know about that. I think there's a pretty definable difference.

I think of Kannapolis as the quintessential North Carolina mill town and Concord as primarily a booming bedroom community (the west side feels very "Charlottized" )with a charming and real downtown as a bonus. I know Kannapolis may has been working on rejuvenating itself and think there's definitely a promising outlook there. Its demographics (income/education levels, etc.) are a little more challenged, or at least have been traditionally, because it hasn't been the part of the region where enormous amounts of money have been pumped like some other places.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte