Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-24-2008, 05:15 AM

22,974 posts, read 65,505,372 times

Advertisements

moderator note:

Many of the posts are not local related please keep the conversation local and on topic.

THIS IS FROM THE TERMS OF SERVICE located at top of every forum.

All posts unrelated to local matters will be deleted or moved. Threads dealing with controversial topics that often degenerate into flame wars, such as politics or religion, may be moved, closed, or deleted by moderators at their discretion without any warning to the participants.

Last edited by SunnyKayak; 07-24-2008 at 05:28 AM..

Old 07-24-2008, 05:18 AM

830 posts, read 1,530,311 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carolina_guy View Post
When the liberal movement I despise seeks to tear down the family traditions and the moral backbone of this country, seeks to distribute wealth to all, directs policies and programs to equalize every citizen, thinks that we live in a village, and seeks to erase our sovereignty for the greater good of the global community, then what middle ground is there to reach?

You have clearly succumbed to a centrist mindset, which is code for liberal progressive.
Wow...

Old 07-24-2008, 07:38 AM

518 posts, read 2,060,805 times
W O W !!!
This really hit a nerve with alot of people, thank goodness we live in the United States of Amercia. If it weren't for all the soldiers that have (and currently) fought, died, are handicapped (physically or mentally), we wouldn't have this forum to voice our opinion.

God Bless the USA

Old 07-24-2008, 08:52 AM

35,879 posts, read 77,469,759 times
Good morning, all!

I am sooooooo disappointed that I had to work last nite and made myself stay away from CD to get a project finished, Hee Hee. DANG. Hate I missed the earlier discussion.

Here is how I see it:

1. The writer of this email sounds very young and very immature.

2. I feel like the writer was trying to express his disgust w/ the Iraqi war, but his mistake was in aiming the vitriol at the soldiers.

3. I treasure our Constitutional right to speak our minds, even when what we say may be totally ignorant - and even insulting.

4. This war has divided the country as to how wise it was to invade Iraq. I think most of us are in agreement that the Afghan war was justified, i.e. Al Qaeda.

Although we all recognize the rights of the speaker/writer to express his views . . . Jake is targeting the wrong group as a way of expressing his frustration w/ the Iraqi War. I think castigating the soldiers themselves is absurd as they are simply doing what all soldiers have done through history - following orders.

Old 07-24-2008, 08:56 AM

1,852 posts, read 5,219,334 times
Quote:
I would also like to point out that you are not able to make a sound judgment on this particular host as you yourself admit you have not listened to him. So painting all talk show hosts with the same brush is futile.
My point is a generalization, that "talk show hosts" no matter where they are from or what their intent is are opinionated and generally driven to sensationalizm, whether right or wrong. They pick controversal topics to exploit and discuss. Not always a bad thing, just need to take things with a grain of salt when listening. I compare to even entertainment news. Headlines of Christian Bale being arrested, um no he wasn't, but it sure made better news then Christian Bale talking to the cops. Same with this letter, its a matetr of opening up dialogue, possibly inflamatory and controversial, but it sure makes people listen. Again another example, the WNBA fight a couple nights ago, who here follows them, but they say hits to WNBA sites are spiking because of a little on court brawl. It's all about the publicity. And if I was a talk show host I would do it too, otherwise I am not longer a talk show host.

Old 07-24-2008, 09:36 AM

3,662 posts, read 9,665,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coped View Post
ROTFLMAO!!!! You post these links and you were calling me a conspiracy theorist? This is just getting ridiculous. There is middle ground. That is where the truth lies and some will find it, but obviously not on this thread.

Back to the OP, the letter was tactless and silly. Using it as some kind of template of how a certain "camp" thinks is equally silly. Respecting the troops is honorable and right. Blindly supporting a foolish war isn't. Some conservatives have good ideas. Some liberal ideas are equally as good. But on the fringes of each group are lunatics.

I'm tired of the circular logic and posts with recycled arguments that don't really respond to previous posts. Im through with this thread.
I suspect you did not read the articles. Perhaps they were a bit over your head, and why you immediately dismiss them.

FWIW, I'm glad to know you respect the troops.

Old 07-24-2008, 09:36 AM

As for the state of the country, again I will support the right for those to speak, but I also will defend and speak up again what I think is wrong. In the absence of a dissenting voice, those who hear only one view may believe all agree and not be open to any other options. I also will strongly dispute those words that seem exagerated for the sake of sensationalism or falsehood.

1. I won't state that there are not some bad seeds in the armed forces, but in some statements here, terms such as many, majority, great numbers, which is what I disagree with. I would say the majority of the people are good people trying to do something for their country or better themselves. As someone else stated, there are bad seeds everywhere. We should still honor their sacrafice. And there are other things going on besides Afg and Iraq, our national guards help out the US all the time as a good example. A War that is unliked is ok but lets focus on the management not the workers.

2. I don't believe the wars in Afg and Iraq are directly responsable for the 7 years of non homeland terrorism, but they may help and is a battle that probably needed to occur. Sometimes the US is the Global Puppet for the rest of the world. They ask us to their dirty work and then call us a scourge in publc while privatly thanking us for making the world a bit safer.

3. Can we get over the lables, I have point of views on subjects that vary. Do I lean towards more republican candidates views more often, maybe, but I take each person and each issue on it's own merits. It breaks me down everytime I hear a politician state "I will never" when in reality he/she is supposed to be a representation of his sector, state, country etc, and do what the majority of the people choose. We are still in a democracy with representatives, versus a single leader republic.

Last edited by Whytewulf; 07-24-2008 at 10:20 AM.. Reason: fixed a phrase

Old 07-24-2008, 09:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whytewulf View Post
My point is a generalization, that "talk show hosts" no matter where they are from or what their intent is are opinionated and generally driven to sensationalizm, whether right or wrong. They pick controversal topics to exploit and discuss. Not always a bad thing, just need to take things with a grain of salt when listening. I compare to even entertainment news. Headlines of Christian Bale being arrested, um no he wasn't, but it sure made better news then Christian Bale talking to the cops. Same with this letter, its a matetr of opening up dialogue, possibly inflamatory and controversial, but it sure makes people listen. Again another example, the WNBA fight a couple nights ago, who here follows them, but they say hits to WNBA sites are spiking because of a little on court brawl. It's all about the publicity. And if I was a talk show host I would do it too, otherwise I am not longer a talk show host.
Understood. But often the truth is controversial, and when one elicits the truth, he can expect controversy. Sure ratings may go up, but that's not the point of seeking truth.

Old 07-24-2008, 09:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whytewulf View Post
As for the state of the country, again I will support the right for those to speak, but I also will defend and speak up again what I think is wrong. In the absence of a dissenting voice, those who hear only one view may believe all agree and not be open to any other options. I also will strongly dispute those words that seem exagerated for the sake of sensationalism or falsehood.

1. I won't state that there are not some bad seeds in the armed forces, but in some statements here, terms such as many, majority, great numbers, which is what I disagree with. I would say the majority of the people are good people trying to do something for their country or better themselves. As someone else stated, there are bad seeds everywhere. We should still honor their sacrafice. And there are other things going on besides Afg and Iraq, our national guards help out the US all the time as a good example. A War that is unliked is ok but lets focus on the management not the workers.

2. I don't believe the wars in Afg and Iraq are directly responsable for the 7 years of non homeland terrorism, but they may help and is a battle that probably needed to occur. Sometimes the US is the Global Puppet for the rest of the world. They ask us to their dirty work and then call us a scourge in publc while privatly thanking us for making the world a bit safer.

3. Can we get over the lables, I have point of views on subjects that vary. Do I lean towards more republican candidates views more often, maybe, but I take each person and each issue on it's own merits. It breaks me down everytime I hear a politician state "I will never" when in reality he/she is supposed to be a representation of his sector, state, country etc, and do what the majority of the people choose. We are still in a democracy not a republic.
I like what you've said here, Whytewulf. The only thing I would call incorrect is your last statements. America IS a Republic, and majority does not always rule.

Old 07-24-2008, 10:10 AM

Quote:
I like what you've said here, Whytewulf. The only thing I would call incorrect is your last statements. America IS a Republic, and majority does not always rule.
You are correct, I meant as a form of goverment only. We may be splitting hairs.

I need to edit my previous statement. What do they say all democracies are a republic but not all republics are democracies?

Last edited by Whytewulf; 07-24-2008 at 10:19 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte