Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-23-2008, 08:30 PM

1,877 posts, read 4,864,549 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Palmetto Heel View Post
A) Knee jerk reactions me laugh. People read what they want to read and hear what they want to hear. It's truly pathetic.

B) I'm not defending the guy, "Jake", who wrote the letter.

C) I'm well aware that people sign up for 4+ years and with stop gap measures many will serve considerably longer. I clearly stated that if a person signed up or voluntarily re-enlisted while the Afghanistan or Iraq wars were ongoing then he knew what he was getting into. I'll even take it a step further and say that if a person signed up or voluntarily re-enlisted during this time period then he necessarily supports the wars. Otherwise, why join?

D) There are over 2.5 million people in the US armed forces. The great majority are fine, upstanding people but I can assure you with 100% certainty that a sizable number of them are losers. That's a fact.

Perhaps they joined/reenlisted out of a sense of patriotism/duty. Can you tell me Pat Tillman joined solely because he supported the war? I suspect not.

Tell me, sir, what makes a soldier a loser? You know it's certainly easy to be sanctimonious and judgemental when you've never donned the uniform.

Old 07-23-2008, 08:35 PM

549 posts, read 1,740,879 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoagie58 View Post
Perhaps they joined/reenlisted out of a sense of patriotism/duty. Can you tell me Pat Tillman joined solely because he supported the war? I suspect not.

Tell me, sir, what makes a soldier a loser? You know it's certainly easy to be sanctimonious and judgemental when you've never donned the uniform.
Hoagie, you're just mad because I don't embrace yankee transplants. Stop creating straw men in an attempt to distort my position on the matter.

Old 07-23-2008, 08:38 PM

3,662 posts, read 9,665,576 times
Quote:

I clearly stated that if a person signed up or voluntarily re-enlisted while the Afghanistan or Iraq wars were ongoing then he knew what he was getting into. I'll even take it a step further and say that if a person signed up or voluntarily re-enlisted during this time period then he necessarily supports the wars. Otherwise, why join?
So they must be idiots then. I mean if they knew what they were getting into and what they were fighting for, then they are just as much to blame as the leaders that sent them there, and thus should be treated with the same hatred that many liberals have for the current administration. Nice.

Quote:
There are over 2.5 million people in the US armed forces. The great majority are fine, upstanding people but I can assure you with 100% certainty that a sizable number of them are losers. That's a fact.
Got it. A great percentage of our soldiers are losers. I'm sure your words will warm their hearts should any of them read your post.

Old 07-23-2008, 08:41 PM

1,877 posts, read 4,864,549 times
Quote:
Hoagie, you're just mad because I don't embrace yankee transplants. Stop creating straw men in an attempt to distort my position on the matter.
Actually, Im pretty pissed off, because I am a veteran, and you're very disrespectful of the troops. Of course, as a veteran, I will support to my death your right to express your opinion- no matter how wrong it is!!!!

Old 07-23-2008, 08:42 PM

3,662 posts, read 9,665,576 times
Quote:
Please, tell us more about this "liberal movement." Is it anything like the
vast right-wing conspiracy? LOL.

Come on people, do any of you really believe that folks on ends of the political spectrum could be so well organized?

BTW I'm voting for McCain.
Perhaps I will elaborate once this thread gets moved to Politics and Other Controversies, but for now I won't waste my time on educating you.

And your voting for McCain means what? He doesn't represent the base, and he certainly doesn't represent conservatism. I'm still on the fence with the guy...

Old 07-23-2008, 08:44 PM

2,603 posts, read 5,019,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carolina_guy View Post
And your voting for McCain means what? He doesn't represent the base, and he certainly doesn't represent conservatism. I'm still on the fence with the guy...
Perhaps a sign that this country is finally moving back to the center after a sharp rightward tilt of the last 30 years.

Old 07-23-2008, 08:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeytonC View Post
Just to help you out; I did use the word "most" in that post. Here ya go:
----------------------------
From Websters -

Most: Consisting of the greatest number or quantity; greater in number or quantity than all the rest; nearly all.
-----------------------------

Please look up "generalization." You just proved my point.

Old 07-23-2008, 08:46 PM

1,619 posts, read 3,872,064 times
It's pointless to try to find middle ground with people with closed minds. Some people will never have the same value system, nor understand it, that is traditional for others. The traditional values of patriotism and HONOR for our country is diminishing under the guise of dissent, which is really nothing more than bitterness and hatred towards opposing viewpoints, and is also accompanied by a heightened, yet shallow sense of enlightenment.

Old 07-23-2008, 08:48 PM

549 posts, read 1,740,879 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoagie58 View Post
Actually, Im pretty pissed off, because I am a veteran, and you're very disrespectful of the troops. Of course, as a veteran, I will support to my death your right to express your opinion- no matter how wrong it is!!!!
There are over 2.5 million people serving in the armed forces. Are you telling me that none of them are losers?

Old 07-23-2008, 08:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeytonC View Post
It's pointless to try to find middle ground with people with closed minds. Some people will never have the same value system, nor understand it, that is traditional for others. The traditional values of patriotism and HONOR for our country is diminishing under the guise of dissent, which is really nothing more than bitterness and hatred towards opposing viewpoints, and is also accompanied by a heightened, yet shallow sense of enlightenment.
When did you try to find middle ground on this thread Peyton?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte