Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-23-2008, 06:22 PM

3,662 posts, read 9,665,576 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by coped View Post
There is no "camp." Your argument is a non-starter. Again, you're falling back on cheap debate tricks. Are you seriously going to equate me thinking a talk radio host could have pulled a cheap trick to create buzz (as he has here) with believing a national tragedy was a conspiracy? Another GIANT leap. If you have something of substance to say, I'll respond.
Like I said, if you had any understanding as to what truth is, and if you listened to Jeff Katz, then you would know that he would pull no trick like that. And no I don't think it was off the wall to mention the 911 conspiracy. It's just as equally ridiculous.

Old 07-23-2008, 06:22 PM

4,713 posts, read 9,699,636 times
Palmetto - very nice analysis.

Old 07-23-2008, 06:26 PM

2,603 posts, read 5,019,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carolina_guy View Post
Last time I checked Jeff Katz wasn't running for office. I really can't believe what I'm reading...
He's not running for office, but he gains by creating political friction and appealing to people's political fears.

Old 07-23-2008, 06:29 PM

549 posts, read 1,740,879 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carolina_guy View Post
Really Palmetto? You're actually attempting to legitimize this guy? Or are you really just playing devil's advocate? Seems to me you're buying into his vile disregard for our nation's heroes. I had more respect for you than that.
The guy who wrote the letter was a jerk but there's a grain of truth in each of this jerk's arguments. I respect the public service of the men and women of our armed forces. I'd put that on par with the respect that I have for the public service of police and fire fighters. One last thing, I think that we've bandied about the term "hero" to the point where it is almost meaningless. It should be reserved for people who do truly extraordinary things, medal of honor winners for example.

Old 07-23-2008, 07:10 PM

1,619 posts, read 3,872,064 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Palmetto Heel View Post
The guy who wrote the letter was a jerk but there's a grain of truth in each of this jerk's arguments.
Strictly opinion, as is all of the arguments put forth by all of you on the other side of this issue. It's the left in this country that whines about freedom of speech and diversity of opinion, but they fail to add the clause "as long as I agree with it." It is nothing more than double standards, period. We all have our own opinions. A weak argument is to state someone is "brainwashed" because they disagree with you.

Old 07-23-2008, 07:14 PM

1,453 posts, read 5,148,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCyank View Post
Yeah...the oil sure is flowing now that we are at war. I don't like to call names so I won't call the guy an idiot.
Oh, and the glory of war...going off for a year at a time, away from family and often in conditions that are uncomfortable at best....all that self interest is just sickening.
Yup, that's why my brother and sister went...glory hogs and they didn't have anything better to do than hang out in Iraq getting shot at for a year. Jake needs to get a clue.

That's ok; I'll do it for you. THE GUY'S AN IDIOT!

Old 07-23-2008, 07:14 PM

1,852 posts, read 5,219,334 times
Quote:
Just to play devil's advocate I took the guy's letter line-by-line and thought about what he was really trying to say.

I have to admit that the praise that some people heap on members of the armed forces gets a little bit old especially when the same people condem the wars that they're fighting.

It's hard to argue against that.

Some people join out of a sense of duty but it is certainly possible that a good number of people in the armed forces are there because they do not have better opportunities in the private sector.

Good point. It is volunteer army. If they got in or voluntarily stayed in knowing that there were ongoing wars in Afghanistan and Iraq then they knew what they were getting into.

There's no doubt that a lot of troops joined up out of self interest whether it was the chance for glory on the battlefield or going to college on the GI bill.

Our soldiers, sailors, and airmen stand ready to protect us, and for that I'm grateful, but it in these wars they aren't really protecting the US.

The wars in Afghanistan and Iraq aren't like WWII or Vietnam in that a very small percentage of the US population has made any real sacrifice for the war. The yellow ribbons do seem like a hollow gesture.

It's hard to argue that the quagmires in Afghanistan and Iraq have accomplished anything other than running up our national debt and creating new enemies for the US abroad.
Are you really trying to justify this by picking out words and phrases to suit your interest? You didn't take it line by line, you highlighted words.

I won't get into to this too much, but I think you need to check a few things. First, it's a volunteer army, but once you are in, you don't have a choice about where you go and there really isn't getting out of it. You don't sign up for 6 months, most of the time you are in for 4 to 6 years. Second don't EVER claim the men and women of our armed forces are losers, some may not have the same upbringing or financial status but they are serving their country. Yellow ribbons hollow? So one death is hollow? Ribbons or not lets not claim that not enough people are sacraficing themselves to have value.

As for this letter and Jeff Katz, I don't listen to him, but there is no value to post this other to start controversy.. oh lookie it worked even on this board. And talk show hosts don't speak the truth they speak their version of it, whether liberal, conservative or Entertainment Tonight.

Old 07-23-2008, 07:36 PM

2,603 posts, read 5,019,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whytewulf View Post
Yellow ribbons hollow? So one death is hollow? Ribbons or not lets not claim that not enough people are sacraficing themselves to have value.
I think the people who slap yellow ribbons on their bumpers, then go on making no sacrifices and think they are patriots because of it -- their gestures are hollow. But I do believe some people use those symbols with reverence.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whytewulf View Post
As for this letter and Jeff Katz, I don't listen to him, but there is no value to post this other to start controversy.. oh lookie it worked even on this board. And talk show hosts don't speak the truth they speak their version of it, whether liberal, conservative or Entertainment Tonight.
Exactly!

Old 07-23-2008, 07:38 PM

1,877 posts, read 4,864,549 times
I dont want anyone crying about personal attacks, so I will say that anyone who has never served their country probably isnt the best barometer of who is and isnt a hero. Actually, that elitist kind of thinking reminds me very much of John Kerry and his stupid joke about people who don't finish college being sent to Iraq. If your idea of personal sacrifice is having to drive the BMW while the Mercedes is being serviced, your opinion doesnt mean squat to me.

Old 07-23-2008, 07:41 PM

755 posts, read 2,492,760 times
Quote:
It's hard to argue that the quagmires in Afghanistan and Iraq have accomplished anything other than running up our national debt and creating new enemies for the US abroad.
On the contrary, it's quite EASY to argue that they have accomplished the task of fighting terrorists on their land instead of ours. There has not been another domestic attack since 2001.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte