Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-19-2009, 08:36 AM

4,222 posts, read 7,891,826 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Art1979 View Post
Is #7 an Eastern Diamondback? Even if it wasn't, that one would give me the most concern out of all of them.
Number 7 is a popular snake with collectors (corn or rat snake). They are usually very defensive when one is attempting to capture them, but they become quite docile after a short period of time after being handled and make good pets.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2009, 08:43 AM

4,222 posts, read 7,891,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jodz10 View Post
Ewwww....are all these types of snakes in all parts of NC or ???
I live in WI now but we are trying to move down to Mooresville area - as you can tell I am not a "snake" fan.....I just want to know what I am in store for???

Thanks,
Jodi
You have nothing to worry about. You will probably see one occasionally, but it is very unlikely that it will be poisonous. My wife is from Minnesota and was really scared of snakes when we moved south. The closest encounter she had with a poisonous snake was when we lived in Florida. She was working in the yard with a weed killer spray and came across a moccasin. The moccasin widely opened his mouth presenting a threat and she squarted the weed killer in its mouth. She taught it a lesson. You are likely to come across an occasional black snake (harmless) in N.C., but you don't have to worry about kids being bitten or anything harmful happening. You are as likely to see a snake here as you are in Wisconsin. There are plenty of garder snakes there.

Old 03-19-2009, 08:52 AM

1,851 posts, read 2,152,651 times
Leave the snakes alone and they'll leave you alone.

For those snakes that may by some odd chance come wandering near your home, believe me, they won't stay for long.

Don't squish them or stomp on them. Just let them be. They'll go about their business, in due time.

Old 03-19-2009, 09:47 AM

2,445 posts, read 7,449,778 times
A program called Snakes Alive used to come to my elementary school. I think it came one year to my middle school as well. I loved it and to this day I am not bothered by snakes whatsoever.

From the website
Quote:
Many people who enjoy nature become profoundly distressed upon encountering a snake. Some folks feel that the only good snake is a dead snake. Learning about snakes provides an opportunity to replace fear and misconception with knowledge. It is our goal to provide knowledge and a safe opportunity to meet these reptiles in hopes of alleviating some fear.
Of course cynwldkat did the right thing with her grandson.

Quote:
After a Snakes Alive program, children are very enthused about snakes. However, along with appreciation, the children also gain a respect and understanding that snakes in the wild do not behave like our tamed snakes. Even baby snakes in the wild are likely to bite and this could be serious or life threatening. When encountering snakes, children are instructed to stay several feet away and to leave them alone.

Old 03-19-2009, 10:06 AM

1,808 posts, read 6,493,390 times
Poisonous or not, can I still be afraid of them? Eeek!

Old 03-19-2009, 02:32 PM

277 posts, read 660,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 89quattro View Post
I'll take a shot and say none of the group are venomous.
Native_Son - waiting for the answer key...

Old 03-19-2009, 02:46 PM

3,774 posts, read 8,191,456 times
ha! good response I see... I'm sorry, I've been very busy with work today (thankfully!!)

I'll post the key tonight, but all the snakes pictured, as several guessed, are NON POISONOUS!! Every one of them...

Old 03-19-2009, 02:53 PM
LLN

5,265 posts, read 10,723,610 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Native_Son View Post
I'll post the key tonight, but all the snakes pictured, as several guessed, are NON POISONOUS!! Every one of them...
Actually, that would be non-venomous.

lln

Old 03-19-2009, 03:19 PM

277 posts, read 660,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Native_Son View Post
ha! good response I see... I'm sorry, I've been very busy with work today (thankfully!!)

When can I expect to receive prize for first correct response?

Old 03-19-2009, 03:59 PM

311 posts, read 915,491 times
AHHHHHHHHHHHHHH I scrolled past those pictures soo fast, I didn't expect there to be a million snake pictures in the post. I just had nightmares lastnight about snakes that kept me up from 6-8am and i've been terrified all day. I don't care if they are bad OR good, they freak me out and I don't even want to SEE one.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte