Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-19-2009, 04:23 PM

4,761 posts, read 7,830,787 times

Advertisements

Not afraid of snakes, but definately not a fan. Had a near-miss with a copperhead a few years ago while building a deck on my house.

In my book, I like then when they eat mice/rats. Not so much when you're face to face with them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2009, 04:25 PM

Location: Some got six month some got one solid. But me and my buddies all got lifetime here
4,555 posts, read 10,403,877 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Indiana Jones View Post
Snakes...why'd it have to be snakes...
Asps...very dangerous. You go first.

Old 03-19-2009, 04:28 PM

4,507 posts, read 9,059,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 89quattro View Post
When can I expect to receive prize for first correct response?
Ahem....get in line bub...I was first. Besides, I also posted a nice pic of a snake from my own yard so I get bonus points.

Old 03-19-2009, 07:50 PM

149 posts, read 410,140 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mullman View Post
y, saw a baby copperhead mowing the lawn last Thursday.
I never saw a copperhead mowing the lawn before... that must of been cool ! I wonder how it started the engine?

Old 03-19-2009, 08:32 PM

431 posts, read 1,668,381 times
Saw my first monster Wolf Spider swimming in my pool the other day,,,,hooray, snakes and spiders season is here!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 03-20-2009, 05:20 AM

3,774 posts, read 8,191,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Native_Son View Post
ok... this is a pet issue. Rather than get all huffy about our citizens' seemingly overwhelming preponderance for fear/loathing/hate/ill-will for all natural things in my beloved southern ecosystem (and especially snakes) I thought I'd use this opportunity to spread a little knowledge and hopefully save a snake life or two...

I have a little quiz set up... can anyone identify which of the following North Carolina snakes are poisonous? Extra credit awarded for identification...
1. Ribbon snake (commonly confused w/ Garter)
2. Black racer (they look brown sometimes)
3. rat snake
4. green snake
5. water snake
6. worm snake
7. corn snake (as several knew)
8. common brown snake
9. another water snake (northern)
10. Kingsnake (red on black, friend of jack...)

Couple of you got several of them... your extra credit is the rep points I'm gonna award bandi gets big kudos for many correct identifications... but he also misidentified one as venemous.

Bottom line:
the likliehood of running into a snake is small... the chances of running into a venemous snake are even smaller. In fact, in all my years around Meck. Co., the ONLY venemous snake I've ever seen in the field is a copperhead. And the only places I've seen copperheads are way back in the woods.

Old 03-20-2009, 05:48 AM

21,956 posts, read 24,301,760 times
I have lived around snakes all my life---from the mountains of CA, rattlesnakes a plenty, to the hills and pastures of NC. I've been here in rural NC 2 years now and have only seen friendly snakes! I am not really afraid of snakes I just show them respect. I do not believe in killing them unless they are a threat. My grandson is a true 4 year old boy---no fear and wants to pick up everything!! We just have to teach him snakes are not one of those things you pick up!
Thank you for all the great information regarding snakes. It's always good to learn about the critters around us!!

Old 03-20-2009, 09:53 AM

4,222 posts, read 7,891,826 times
I am a bit curious about the friendly snakes. Did they welcome you to North Carolina and give you a welcome package? I have always thought that there would be a no better a companion than an old, housebroken, friendly snake. Just kidding, I know what you mean. I couldn't resist. I just haven't heard of snakes being refered to as friendly. (:

Old 03-20-2009, 10:08 AM

8,803 posts, read 10,236,737 times
As said before, most snakes you'll find around here are harmless, and can be a "friend", especially if your'e a gardener and have rodent problems in your yard. There is a similar thread in the Triad forum if anyone's interested.

Most snakes around here you're more likely to see in a wooded area where there are alot of trees and pine needles than in some treeless subdivision. Also if you live near a lake or pond, be on the lookout for water snakes. Just always keep a few things in mind. Don't let your grass grow too high, take care of pest problems, and always wear shoes outside.

Old 03-20-2009, 10:17 AM

973 posts, read 3,303,836 times
Okay, I'm still a greenhorn around here so can anyone answer a couple questions, please?

What venemous snakes are indigenous to the Mecklenburg area???
Where are we likely to run into them?

I just looked up the Wolf Spider a previous poster mentioned and it gave me the creeps.
Where are we likely to run into those little critters, too???

There is a creek right behind my house and my neighbor informed me to be careful of the snakes back there when doing my yardwork so I just want to know what to look for so I can be more careful. Thanks!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte