Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-29-2009, 06:47 AM

67 posts, read 192,592 times

Advertisements

Thanks all - very helpful.

ChiCub - We are coming from Wrigleyville, so we'll have to hit the White Castle on Addison on the way to the highway and then again in Ohio. Can't say I've ever been there before midnight. Chicken rings & Sliders for all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2009, 07:13 AM

7,041 posts, read 15,032,281 times
Welcome, Cubs Fans!! IF you need anything, send me a DM...it's pretty confusing here (by comparison)..no grids and the streets change their names very randomly.

Don't forget to go to Sam's to stock a cooler with Vienna Beef hot dogs and Italian Beef. You can get them here; there is a place in Mooresville, Matt's Chicago Dog, but, he is expensive and you WILL miss them.

You won't believe how much you'll miss White Castle, too. Every trip, my son & I stop at the second White Castle in Ohio and buy a sack full to take us into the city!!

Have a safe trip!!

Old 03-29-2009, 08:09 AM

2,560 posts, read 6,826,415 times
When I lived in CA, my aerobics teacher was from Chicago. She would go home to visit and pig out at Whitecastle and all her favorite food places. When she got back, we all had to work off her vacation!

Like Chi said, the roads here are a bit of a challenge, I really wish I would have bougt a GPS when I first moved out. I was in tears by the 3rd day. Example: The Providence Rd and Queens Rd intersection. You're on Providence and when you get to the intersection if you go straight you will be on Queens Rd and if you turn left you'll also be on Queens Rd, to stay on Providence you have to turn right. But when you get into uptown, Providence turns into 3rd Street which turns into a oneway street into uptown, which means you can't leave the way you came. Very confusing for a newcomer!

I know it's not Whitecastle but we will have to get you hooked on Bo'jangles, oohhh, sweet potato pies, mmmm....

Old 03-29-2009, 08:25 AM

129 posts, read 404,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elvislives View Post
Why in the world would you drive 341 miles to Cleveland to get to NC??? That is senseless. By the time you got to cleveland you would be halfway thru W.V..

Hmm lets say halfway thru WV would be Charleston soo your saying Chicago to Charleston is 341 miles? I think maybe u need to check your mileage again buddy.

Old 03-29-2009, 12:34 PM

5,294 posts, read 5,237,163 times
BTW, I-40 through Knoxville is completely closed in both directions due to major reconstruction, it's only open for locals and UT students, so you have to use I-640 to go around it....the worst part on I-40 is from the TN/NC boarder to about 10/15 miles west of Asheville, as it gets extremely curvy...first time I drove it, I was scared to death since it was night time, and I was by myself w/ my dog in the back seat, when I was going up to Cincy to visit my cousin. Overall though, I-77 through WV is tougher imo b/c it's almost as curvy, and its like that for a much longer stretch...I would think it would be better to go down to Indy, then get on 74 to Cincy, then drop down on 75 to Knoxville, then come over on 40.

Old 03-29-2009, 02:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohioaninsc View Post
BTW, I-40 through Knoxville is completely closed in both directions due to major reconstruction, it's only open for locals and UT students, so you have to use I-640 to go around it....the worst part on I-40 is from the TN/NC boarder to about 10/15 miles west of Asheville, as it gets extremely curvy...first time I drove it, I was scared to death since it was night time, and I was by myself w/ my dog in the back seat, when I was going up to Cincy to visit my cousin. Overall though, I-77 through WV is tougher imo b/c it's almost as curvy, and its like that for a much longer stretch...I would think it would be better to go down to Indy, then get on 74 to Cincy, then drop down on 75 to Knoxville, then come over on 40.

Old 03-30-2009, 02:40 PM

115 posts, read 562,707 times
Based on all the information posted in this thread, I would fly...1 hour 45 minutes...done & done. I moved from Wicker Park almost 2 years ago...drove once...never again. ha

PS - White Castle before midnight...never! Nothing like showing up to an afterbar with a 30-pack of sliders and a 6-pack of Pabst

Old 03-30-2009, 03:19 PM

257 posts, read 669,322 times
Hey. I moved from CLT to CHI a few years ago and may be moving back down again. I hate moving! However, I did the route through Knoxville to Asheville to Charlotte. It is shorter. The only part that is bad is the mountains in Eastern TN and Western NC. I suggest breaking up the trip if you can.

Old 03-30-2009, 05:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by deepballer View Post
Based on all the information posted in this thread, I would fly...1 hour 45 minutes...done & done. I moved from Wicker Park almost 2 years ago...drove once...never again. ha

PS - White Castle before midnight...never! Nothing like showing up to an afterbar with a 30-pack of sliders and a 6-pack of Pabst
The problem here is that these folks are moving. Hard to get that u-haul on the plane!!

Plus, for people like me whose family does not live in the city anymore, then, I have to rent a car to get to Schaumburg & DesPlaines, Arlington Heights...you know the family drill...so, that adds $$$$ to the cost. Still cheaper to drive. Easier to do it overnight, tho...get into the city about 5/6 am before rush hour and crash until a more respectable time to start the visiting..

Old 04-01-2009, 06:55 AM

146 posts, read 474,215 times
hire a mover, take usairways!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte