Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-28-2009, 03:30 PM

67 posts, read 192,643 times

Advertisements

We are packing up the SUV & UHaul trailer and moving to Charlotte (Huntersville) next weekend. Accd to Google Maps, after Indianapolis we can either head towards Lexington and down through KY & TN...or we could go towards Ohio and down through W. Va.

Any suggestions? Both look approximately equal and we plan to stop half way. Further, the Ohio route looks to not use major highways from Akron to Charleston...but that is the reco'd route to Huntersville.

Thanks in advance for the advice.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2009, 04:44 PM

7,041 posts, read 15,036,775 times
The WVA route is longer and has more mountains. However, the mountain roads are not as curvy as the Lexinton/KY route. I've done both. The Lexington/KY route is 13 hours door-to-door, the WVA route about 15.

Last year, in May, my son & I drove the WVA route north because we were going to Detroit first. I was pleasantly surprised that the mountain roads were not as curvy (I HATE mountains) and so we came back the same way...this time from Chicago. Whew! It seemed like we would never get here....

Don't forget to stop at White Castle in OH before you leave the state. You won't get another chance until you go back up there!!

What part of the city are you coming from?

Old 03-28-2009, 06:18 PM

782 posts, read 3,789,263 times
Agree with chicagocubs KT/TENN is better,but the W. Va route seems more scenic and it scared my wife. She closed her eyes throughout W.Va. Looking out over the mountain was pretty scary looking. I don't see how anybody can live on the side of the mountain.

Old 03-28-2009, 06:26 PM

7,041 posts, read 15,036,775 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Whips View Post
Agree with chicagocubs KT/TENN is better,but the W. Va route seems more scenic and it scared my wife. She closed her eyes throughout W.Va. Looking out over the mountain was pretty scary looking. I don't see how anybody can live on the side of the mountain.
spoken like a true Chicagoan. We like our flat land!

Old 03-28-2009, 06:47 PM

765 posts, read 1,910,838 times
I65 south I 465 south I70 E US 35 E I64E
I77 S I do it in 13 hours flat. That is one of my biggest freight routes. Going thu Ky and Tn is going around your butthole to get to your elbow. Way out of the way .

Old 03-28-2009, 06:56 PM

129 posts, read 404,132 times
Or you could just do a Chicago to Cleveland and then Cleveland to Charlotte. Cleveland to Charlotte is 8 hours flat for me but that is going 75-80mph and only stopping once maybe twice. You also have 3 tolls to pay from just after Charleston to just right after Beckley, WV and they are 1.25 each, plus you have 2 tunnels to go through which is always my favorite part of the trip lol.

Old 03-28-2009, 07:15 PM

2,657 posts, read 8,031,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiToNC View Post
Any suggestions? Both look approximately equal and we plan to stop half way. Further, the Ohio route looks to not use major highways from Akron to Charleston...but that is the reco'd route to Huntersville.

Thanks in advance for the advice.
W.Va has toll roads; you'll run into a bit of a tricky exchange in Charleston, so watch your directions. Both routes will take you through sections that are short but particularly hairy. I-40 for a stretch of about 20 miles around the TN/NC border is very twisty, with lower speed limits for trucks who also have to stay in the right lane. I've experienced some bottlenecks there. I-77, about 8-10 miles north of the NC border, gets very twisty and steep. Once you cross into NC, the highway flattens out.

We've used both routes making mulitple trips to see folks in St. Louis over the last 20 years. For us, it's 6-of-one-1/2-dozen of the other. They're both just long drives. Good luck on the trip

Old 03-28-2009, 07:37 PM

435 posts, read 1,815,030 times
If you aren't pressed for time go the KY & TN route. That way you could stop in Pigeon Forge & Dollywood in TN .
Honestly though I-40 isn't really that bad after Knoxville heading towards the NC border. It is curvy, just take is slow, especially if its rainy. Its a very scenic route. But I think they may be doing construction work around Knoxville. The last time I drove through Knoxville was almost 2yrs ago when I was leaving Charlotte to move to Colorado so maybe they finished the construction up.

Old 03-28-2009, 09:46 PM

2,657 posts, read 8,031,564 times
TDOT lists I-40 construction, but that shouldn't be an issue coming down I-75 and hitting 640 over to 40.

As far as detailing road conditions, I take into account where the person is coming from and making assumptions on their experience. Someone from Chicago; if they aren't used to twisty, mountainous treks; are likely to find those routes daunting the first time. I know this flatlander did the first time we drove from the Midwest to NC Now, I actually look for those kind of roads, knowing how much fun the mountain twisties are - especially on my motorcycle But I advise first timers to be cautious.

Old 03-29-2009, 06:12 AM

765 posts, read 1,910,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carolina_Stud View Post
Or you could just do a Chicago to Cleveland and then Cleveland to Charlotte. Cleveland to Charlotte is 8 hours flat for me but that is going 75-80mph and only stopping once maybe twice. You also have 3 tolls to pay from just after Charleston to just right after Beckley, WV and they are 1.25 each, plus you have 2 tunnels to go through which is always my favorite part of the trip lol.
Why in the world would you drive 341 miles to Cleveland to get to NC??? That is senseless. By the time you got to cleveland you would be halfway thru W.V..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte