Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-21-2009, 03:54 PM

4,222 posts, read 7,896,480 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
I am not the person to listen to when it comes to discussions about where to live, I guess, LOL!!! NC is home; I am a native. And NC girls always come home sometime b/f they die. So I always knew I would move back here. However, I am up for more adventures. I don't see moving as most folks do. I love experiencing what other areas of the country are like. Some areas I would HATE to get stuck in, tho!!!

I miss Kansas City terribly at times. But then . . . I loved Santa Monica and wanted to stay there . . . and Virginia - I lost my heart several spots in Virginia . . . and Charleston - I still dream of owning a shop and living upstairs . . . but Charlotte is home. I live a comfortable life here.

So even tho I am happy being in Charlotte . . . I could be very happy in many spots in the USA (don't much like the NW - not enuff sun). I enjoy discovering what there is to discover in each new place I go. And people are people everywhere.
Good post Ani. I have lived in places all over and can't really say much bad about any of them. One should look at the good things when they relocate and one will find them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2009, 07:48 PM

6,327 posts, read 9,151,356 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vindaloo View Post
I apologize for the basing. You are absolutely right in your statements. I don't think that some people are smart enough to realize that although people are white, we have different cultures, i.e. Italians, Danish, Scotish. Not much similarity other than being European. Diversity can be a good thing or even a bad thing. I remember when I lived in Minnesota and all the "uninformed" citizens pled for poor refuges from Africa to move to the Minneapolis/St. Paul area so they could have more racial diversity. While I thought they were idiots for their liberal thinking, they thought I was a racist. I was just someone that has experienced lots of things in life. The Somalians and other African groups began to pour in. Welfare roles got huge, crime started going off the charts, and now many of the Somalians in that area are being trained as Moslem extremists. The formerly great Minneapolis schools took a big downward dive. So much for diversity always being a great thing. The numbskulls in Duluth, Minn. wanted to make an abandonded Air Base into a refuge camp for Haitians. Many of us remember what a great (just kidding about being great) experience it was when Jimmy Carter let in the boat people.

I like diversity. I like to see people from India, Japan, Korea, Turkey, South American countries, Europeans, and South Pacific nationalities, and 'legal' Mexicans.
These are not the people generally are doing the most of the murdering and making or streets unsafe and bleeding us and depleting our taxes. If I were a certain other race, I could say that I would prefer to live with my own people, but as a white, saying the same would just be horrible. So, I will say that I prefer to live around people that respect my privacy, don't turn the neighborhood into a place with crackhouses, don't drive down the streets at all hours with rap music shaking my house at 2:00am, single welfare mothers with uncontrollable brats, teens walking down the street with pants sagging below their butts while holding their 'junk'. We have turned into a culture of hypocrites that have lost touch with reality. I prefer to live mostly with my own but am glad to have the aforementioned around. The chart makes me think that Pittsburgh might be a good place to move. Charlotte has serious issues resulting from the local diverse mix. Diversity is good depending on the mix. I have never heard anything negative or bad about Pittsburgh since the old factors that caused so much polution in past years closed years ago.
So yea I totally agree with you and when you try to bring in the poor and educated from all over the world to create "diversity", it fails miserably and causes way more problems. Pittsburgh is a great place to live(minus higher taxes but we some stuff to show for it) and unfortunately most of the worst neighborhoods are also the least white in the area. Can't say anything about hispanics in Pittsburgh tho since they only make about 1% of the population which is good and bad depending on how you view who you want to live in your area. Too bad some of these newly found people of the Sunbelt still enjoy bashing the Rust Belt. And just as with Judge Sotomayor, it's okay for her to her wise latina stuff but if I said that as a white, my career would be over as a judge same with me saying I want to live with others like me.

Old 07-21-2009, 08:37 PM

7,041 posts, read 15,035,679 times
is it me or did this thread take a really ugly turn??

Old 07-21-2009, 08:57 PM

2,340 posts, read 4,630,333 times
No, it is not just you. Another interesting and fun thread turned ugly by folks with a specific agenda.

Old 07-21-2009, 09:14 PM

7,041 posts, read 15,035,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by baybook View Post
No, it is not just you. Another interesting and fun thread turned ugly by folks with a specific agenda.
that's what I thought.

Old 07-23-2009, 10:47 AM

4,222 posts, read 7,896,480 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bradjl2009 View Post
So yea I totally agree with you and when you try to bring in the poor and educated from all over the world to create "diversity", it fails miserably and causes way more problems. Pittsburgh is a great place to live(minus higher taxes but we some stuff to show for it) and unfortunately most of the worst neighborhoods are also the least white in the area. Can't say anything about hispanics in Pittsburgh tho since they only make about 1% of the population which is good and bad depending on how you view who you want to live in your area. Too bad some of these newly found people of the Sunbelt still enjoy bashing the Rust Belt. And just as with Judge Sotomayor, it's okay for her to her wise latina stuff but if I said that as a white, my career would be over as a judge same with me saying I want to live with others like me.
I believe that your point was just proven with the last posters. We are not of an ethnicity that can openly discuss such matters.

Old 07-23-2009, 11:44 AM

35,879 posts, read 77,478,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vindaloo View Post
Good post Ani. I have lived in places all over and can't really say much bad about any of them. One should look at the good things when they relocate and one will find them.
People really do need to look at things in a positive way. There are pros and cons to living in a lot of terrific cities. I really like Chicago, for ex., but you have to take the cold weather with the other good things. Same for so many cities. I don't like the NW (as a place to live permanently) b/c there just isn't enuff sunshine for me, but it is an absolutely gorgeous region and I enjoy visiting. However - millions of folks love it there despite the cloudy days.

Sometimes, we have to go where the job takes us.

As for Charlotte . . . and banking . . . who knows - maybe other financial institutions will move here or relocate their headquarters here. We do have the workforce and talent.

Old 07-23-2009, 02:42 PM

45,218 posts, read 100,707,267 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
I am not the person to listen to when it comes to discussions about where to live, I guess, LOL!!! NC is home; I am a native. And NC girls always come home sometime b/f they die. So I always knew I would move back here. However, I am up for more adventures. I don't see moving as most folks do. I love experiencing what other areas of the country are like. Some areas I would HATE to get stuck in, tho!!!

I miss Kansas City terribly at times. But then . . . I loved Santa Monica and wanted to stay there . . . and Virginia - I lost my heart several spots in Virginia . . . and Charleston - I still dream of owning a shop and living upstairs . . . but Charlotte is home. I live a comfortable life here.

So even tho I am happy being in Charlotte . . . I could be very happy in many spots in the USA (don't much like the NW - not enuff sun). I enjoy discovering what there is to discover in each new place I go. And people are people everywhere.
Ani, you are truly blessed to feel this way. As for me, my heart belongs to one place only

Old 07-23-2009, 03:01 PM

35,879 posts, read 77,478,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
Ani, you are truly blessed to feel this way. As for me, my heart belongs to one place only
I guess I have a streak of wanderlust.

And honestly - the only place I consider home is Blowing Rock - not Charlotte. I feel I can wander anywhere as long as I know I have a spot to come back to in the mountains. When we were in Kansas, we would fly/drive back regularly to the mountains, so I always felt I was still connected to "home."

Charlotte is a nice place to live. I am very comfortable here. I just hope our economy will turn around sooner than I think it will take, so folks can find jobs here and not have to leave.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte