Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-20-2009, 12:23 PM

35,879 posts, read 77,478,949 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by baybook View Post
Hee hee

The only place on this list I would consider is DC. ;-) And it is a bunch of other issues I would not like. Oh well.
LOL!! But have you really BEEN to some of those places? I know MT is not for everyone . . . but OP, KS . . . Des Moines . . . Tulsa (if you can find a job there - it is a really nice city) . . . Charlottesville, VA (I love Albemarle Co - and UVA is there!!!) . . .

DC is expensive. We all know that. DC is probably my favorite on the list, actually. There are nice burbs . . . and the metro system is good . . . but yeah, it's expensive.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2009, 01:38 PM

2,742 posts, read 6,750,545 times
Texas is one place that will do well for years to come. I used to live in Dallas and I’ll tell you, the one major appeal of living in Texas is that there is no state income tax. That’s a big plus to living out there. Couple that with Texas’ very inexpensive housing and I fully understand why anyone would want to live out there. Now, I personally prefer Charlotte over any of the Texas cities for several reasons, but as someone who’s lived out there, I do understand why folks are moving there in droves.

Old 07-20-2009, 02:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carolina Blue View Post
Texas is one place that will do well for years to come. I used to live in Dallas and I’ll tell you, the one major appeal of living in Texas is that there is no state income tax. That’s a big plus to living out there. Couple that with Texas’ very inexpensive housing and I fully understand why anyone would want to live out there. Now, I personally prefer Charlotte over any of the Texas cities for several reasons, but as someone who’s lived out there, I do understand why folks are moving there in droves.
Very much agree with you. We would move to Plano or Frisco w/o much thought, as we are very familiar w/ the area and as you said - housing is very reasonable there. Nice burbs, good shopping and schools. Austin area is also a good area. Not as fond of Houston, but if we got a job there, I am sure I could find a burb or town (probably S of Houston) I would be fine with. Now, I worry somewhat about Houston's unemployment b/c it looks like NASA is gonna be scrapping a lot of programs - and I fear that might mean engineers (and others in that field) losing jobs. But you have water nearby . . .

And I agree - no state income tax is attractive.

Oh - I would add Knoxville and Nashville to my list, too. Maybe Chattanooga . . . and anyone thought of Huntsville, AL? I have heard a lot of good things about Huntsville . . .

Old 07-20-2009, 03:03 PM

6,327 posts, read 9,151,356 times
Here is a graph you guys will find interesting about the percentage increase or decrease in job numbers. While this is from Pittsburgh's Future. I know you'll find it interesting.

As you can see, only 13 metros have had their job losses improve and for you guys, there was the 5th largest drop in the job growth rate.

Old 07-20-2009, 03:15 PM

7,126 posts, read 11,702,805 times
Default Here's one for you

Ani---wondering why you did not put NYC on your list. Not playing with you now. NY has everything on your list of wants (I think) and then some. I kinda think you are the type of person that would thrive in the NY environment. Am I wrong??

Old 07-20-2009, 04:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by johne482 View Post
Ani---wondering why you did not put NYC on your list. Not playing with you now. NY has everything on your list of wants (I think) and then some. I kinda think you are the type of person that would thrive in the NY environment. Am I wrong??
I love NYC and if I ever hit it rich (sell the novel and movie rights and get lots of $$$) I will want an apartment in NYC!!!

But unless that happens (or I win the lottery) I just can't see being able to afford to live where I would want to live . . .

Yes, I love NYC . . .

Old 07-20-2009, 06:53 PM

2,742 posts, read 6,750,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bradjl2009 View Post
Here is a graph you guys will find interesting about the percentage increase or decrease in job numbers. While this is from Pittsburgh's Future. I know you'll find it interesting.

As you can see, only 13 metros have had their job losses improve and for you guys, there was the 5th largest drop in the job growth rate.
Wow, the guy who runs that blog has a thing for Charlotte...in a negative way, LOL. There are a lot of Charlotte references on there!!

Pittsburgh has been rated one of the top places to live for quite some time now, particularly because of its econonmy. There's just one problem...nobody wants to live there. Its one of the few metro areas, not cities, but metro areas that has a declining population. And its projected to continue to decline through 2025. Charlotte is struggling through this recession, but its prospects for the future are much greater than Pittsburgh's. That city has a much larger problem it can't seem to get a handle on.

Metro area population projections: http://www.bizjournals.com/specials/pages/257.html (broken link)

Old 07-20-2009, 09:11 PM

6,327 posts, read 9,151,356 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carolina Blue View Post
Wow, the guy who runs that blog has a thing for Charlotte...in a negative way, LOL. There are a lot of Charlotte references on there!!

Pittsburgh has been rated one of the top places to live for quite some time now, particularly because of its econonmy. There's just one problem...nobody wants to live there. Its one of the few metro areas, not cities, but metro areas that has a declining population. And its projected to continue to decline through 2025. Charlotte is struggling through this recession, but its prospects for the future are much greater than Pittsburgh's. That city has a much larger problem it can't seem to get a handle on.

Metro area population projections: bizjournals: Projected population of 250 U.S. metros (http://www.bizjournals.com/specials/pages/257.html - broken link)
From South Park: "You're being ignorant; that's ignorant". Uh that's not entirely true. Most metro areas in the US actually have a net loss when it comes to Americans moving to other cities. The Pittsburgh area's problem is that for the past 10 years, just like in Europe there are more deaths than births. This is showing signs of reversing in the future as births were up 1.1% and deaths were down 0.7% for 2008 according to the Post-Gazette. Many of the people leaving now are baby boomers, the population of 20 + 30 somethings is stabilizing now that they can take the jobs. We also have a lack of immigration which has it's pros and cons. This is all why we are losing population now for the most part in the past few years. Plus, the vast majority of people I've met who've visited or moved here say they were reserved about it a little but love it here.

Another thing is the sprawl development of the Sunbelt can't last forever and has started to crash in the recession. There is only so far away from the center city you can build.

Old 07-21-2009, 06:31 AM

69 posts, read 263,081 times
What I think is pretty sick is that people are being laid off at Bank of America and then there are employees that "work" there who sit and watch tv on their laptop, sit on facebook all day, read leisurely books, and chat on IM programs. Is it just me or would you not be livid if you got laid off and you see an executive assistant keeps their job and doesnt even work? I dont work for a huge company but if my boss ever saw me read a book while i was at work I think he would pack my things up for me and I would be out the door in a heartbeat. I love knowing that we bailed a bank out that wastes their money on salaries for people to "work".

Old 07-21-2009, 07:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinkydinkydoo View Post
What I think is pretty sick is that people are being laid off at Bank of America and then there are employees that "work" there who sit and watch tv on their laptop, sit on facebook all day, read leisurely books, and chat on IM programs. Is it just me or would you not be livid if you got laid off and you see an executive assistant keeps their job and doesnt even work? I dont work for a huge company but if my boss ever saw me read a book while i was at work I think he would pack my things up for me and I would be out the door in a heartbeat. I love knowing that we bailed a bank out that wastes their money on salaries for people to "work".
Pinky, no offense, but where did that post come from? You know someone at BofA who plays all day?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte