Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-10-2009, 07:22 AM

28,353 posts, read 16,368,692 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by vindaloo View Post
Are you saying that a place is a "cultural wasteland" because it isn't diverse? Sorry, but your statement will not win you a kindness or a intelligence award.
Exactly right. Take Italy for example, obviously lacking in culture since it's populated in the vast majority by white people of European heritage. No diversity, no culture.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-11-2009, 05:42 AM

4,010 posts, read 10,206,729 times
Hmm.. So SE Charlotte is Italy now? It's a logical fallacy based on false equivalence. LOL

Are you guys mad because I was wrong, or mad because I said it? Can't determine which, since, the arguments, thus far, have been based on attacking me personally and not giving examples of the 2000+ year old Roman type history there. That pretty much validates what I have said.

Old 09-11-2009, 06:42 AM

28,353 posts, read 16,368,692 times
No, I never said that Ballantyne was Rome, please don't put words in my mouth. I was simply giving an example that shows lack of racial and ethnic diversity is not mutually exclusive to culture. Just like the presence of racial and ethnic diversity isn't a guarantee of culture.

I don't see how that validates what you said in the least, but we can agree to disagree, I suppose.

I don't think anything I said was a personal attack, either, but if you do - I apologize.

Old 09-11-2009, 08:10 AM

3,337 posts, read 5,117,119 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lumbollo View Post
Hmm.. So SE Charlotte is Italy now? It's a logical fallacy based on false equivalence. LOL

Are you guys mad because I was wrong, or mad because I said it? Can't determine which, since, the arguments, thus far, have been based on attacking me personally and not giving examples of the 2000+ year old Roman type history there. That pretty much validates what I have said.
And I validated to you that there is plenty of evidence of diversity in South Charlotte. I personally know plenty of people who's families originated in numerous different countries.

Old 09-11-2009, 10:52 AM

4,222 posts, read 7,891,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hooligan View Post
Exactly right. Take Italy for example, obviously lacking in culture since it's populated in the vast majority by white people of European heritage. No diversity, no culture.

Thanks for getting my drift. I am very fond of Scandanavian cities as well as Helsinki. They are not diverse at all, yet I don't see where they are hurting. I am fond of many other places as well that are not very diverse, ie. Sydney, Florence, Vienna, Prague, Moscow, Buenos Aires, Rostock and Cornelius. I don't really think these places are wastelands.

Last edited by vindaloo; 09-11-2009 at 11:05 AM..

Old 09-11-2009, 12:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vindaloo View Post
No, we're not mad at you. We're laughing Sorry, but when one says unintelligent things, one is game for attack. Get over
it Dear god, please spare us a response neccessitating one of your rudundant rantings. And finally, congrats on satisfactorily justifying to yourself your previous faux pas.
It was you who said that North Carolina was just like Ireland. If you are laughing, it's understandable, you can't help it. Your endless personal attacks on many on this forum is indication to me that I should not waste my time in response, however in this case, it only points out that my point continues not to be addressed. When you figure it out, let me know and we can actually discuss it.

Last edited by lumbollo; 09-11-2009 at 12:08 PM..

Old 09-11-2009, 12:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by theroc5156 View Post
And I validated to you that there is plenty of evidence of diversity in South Charlotte. I personally know plenty of people who's families originated in numerous different countries.
So do I. I lived in SE Charlotte for more than a decade in areas ranging from Myers Park to Colony Rd. Personal anecdotes however don't really make for a multi-cultural place.

Interestingly enough, when the excuses were first being made about Charlotte not being diverse because of the Scotch Irish settlers, the very people who live in this part of town, nobody seemed to complain and all were in agreement with this notion. i.e. "It's OK, it's supposed to be like this." I come along and tell it like it is, and basically agree, and now people come out of the woodwork because they think they are as culturally diverse as say Central Avenue. Sorry, this just isn't the case.

Old 09-11-2009, 12:09 PM

17 posts, read 43,952 times
I see lots of diversity in Plaza Midwood area...an up and coming area with a wide variety of home prices and types of people. There's an artistic side to that area, close to uptown and lots of eating/entertainment around. Central Ave. is probably the hub of Latinos and Eastern cultures (the only Asian markets we've seen are on Central).
It's true that this area has hundreds if not thousands of churches, but Providence Rd. and Hwy 51 (Pineville-Matthews Rd) are home to some of the biggest most popular.
NoDa is just North of uptown...modern, industrial, artistic.
Davidson to the north, Matthews to the southeast and Waxhaw to the south are all smaller towns/charlotte suburbs and all offer good schools, small town feel with old time hardware stores farmers markets and Fall festivals or holiday parades, 30-45 min commutes.

Old 09-11-2009, 12:44 PM

3,337 posts, read 5,117,119 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lumbollo View Post
So do I. I lived in SE Charlotte for more than a decade in areas ranging from Myers Park to Colony Rd. Personal anecdotes however don't really make for a multi-cultural place.

Interestingly enough, when the excuses were first being made about Charlotte not being diverse because of the Scotch Irish settlers, the very people who live in this part of town, nobody seemed to complain and all were in agreement with this notion. i.e. "It's OK, it's supposed to be like this." I come along and tell it like it is, and basically agree, and now people come out of the woodwork because they think they are as culturally diverse as say Central Avenue. Sorry, this just isn't the case.
Well, a place full of JUST Scotch-Irish settlers probably isn't diverse as it is a group of people originating from one or two countries (Scotland/Ireland). However, add Italian, German, English, Polish, Russian, French, and Swedish well then you get a plethora of diversity.

Your accusation of SE Charlotte being a "cultural wasteland" is pretty offensive. There are plenty of cultures that are represented in SE Charlotte. Anyway, explain to me your definition of diversity.

Old 09-11-2009, 12:45 PM

4,222 posts, read 7,891,826 times
My friends, I could care less about diversity. I love a variety of restaurants and cool ethnic places to go, ie. Chinatowns, Little Italys, etc. A huge percentage of my friends are from other nations that visit me on a regular/ongoing basis. I don't care who lives in my neighborhood just so they don't disturb me, keep their bloody pets in their own yards, and keep up their lawns. I appreciate those that do or don't want a diverse neighborhood. My point is that a neighborhood or city is not a wasteland or in any manner evil or ignorant just because it doesn't happen to be diverse. People can live where the hell they want. To classify a city or area as being snobby, stuffy, or anything negative for this reason is in itself ignorant and/or unaccepting. Anyway, it is Friday. I am about to take a power nap and then head to happy hour. For your information, I don't sit at the computer all day. I spend 90 minutes in the gym first and the next 10 hours on it. LOL! Everyone have a wonderful weekend and remember that there are great things happening in town this weekend, the Greek festival and the BBQ and beer thing downtown. See y'all there.

P.S. I still would suggest that the OP look into University Park for the most diversity. One out of eight families in Charlotte speak a language other than English. That makes it easy to find what you are looking for. Good luck. I bet you got more information that you bargained for. LOL!

Last edited by vindaloo; 09-11-2009 at 01:28 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte