Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-12-2009, 08:31 PM

7,041 posts, read 15,028,509 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by vindaloo View Post
It seems to me that there are lots of Hispanics and Indians out the South Boulevard area whereas the Asian (formerly Orientals) element can be more readily found in the University area. So, I agree with you the UC is the place to go if looking for a variety of nationalities.
PS: vindaloo: "Indian" usually refers to those of Native American heritage. "Asian" also includes those from the country of India as it is an Asian nation. And, there are plenty of Latinos & Hispanics in UC as well. (yes, there is a difference) Not to mention a host of other countries....which is why I love it here!! Love walking through the stores and hearing a variety of languages spoken. Occasionally, I will hear a different language from what I usually hear and I smile. Just means that the area is becoming more diverse and cultured!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-12-2009, 08:44 PM

7,126 posts, read 11,697,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lumbollo View Post

Note that in making a post such as this you did exactly what you criticized the rest of us of doing. Not answering the OP's question.
YES SIR! I really need to read before I respond in the future Sir. You're absolutely right. In fact Mrs, Kabtollish my first grade teacher was the first to remind me of this flaw. Now, thankfully, Mr./Mrs. Lumbullo you are the second.

Maybe a little sleep will make me aware of the mistake I made in responding to you.

BTW---I was not "criticizing the rest of us" I was responding to you my friend.

Tata and Good Nite.

Old 09-12-2009, 09:36 PM

45,218 posts, read 100,681,934 times
Quote:
You must not have read my original posts in this topic where I said there was a lot of diversity in Charlotte. In fact I was one of the very first ones to have done so. Especially after the OP had been told there was not much here because of the Scotch Irish. BTW, I did not offer up Lake Norman as a place of diversity. That was in response to others who questioned by credentials to say anything on this topic by making a point of where I live.

Note that in making a post such as this you did exactly what you criticized the rest of us of doing. Not answering the OP's question.
sigh - you really like to twist words sometimes and it gets really old

I never said there was no diversity here - I said because Charlotte was founded and settled by the Scots-Irish there were not a lot of ethnic neighborhoods here - WHICH THERE AREN'T.

We did not develop the way New York or Chicago did because we aren't a port city and lack a major river. Charlotte wasn't the kind of city immigrants flocked to because of that. So we don't have "little Italy" or a "Chinatown" type neighborhoods. But that does not mean Charlotte lacks at least some diversity. I think we all know what a melting pot this city has been becoming for at least 20 years now.

Old 09-13-2009, 06:18 AM

4,010 posts, read 10,206,729 times
^Luv, the point is there is more to diversity than just variations of white Europeans. I thought you would have gotten that by now. Accusing me of twisting words because you don't get this I could probably say is getting old, but then again, I realize where this is coming from.

34% of the city is African American due to the history of slavery in this city and there are certainly ethnic neighborhoods and business areas here related to that, I recommend a drive down W. Trade Street beyond I-277 and you will see a thriving business sector that has been there for decades. (my guess is most living in SE Charlotte have never been there)

There are now Hispanic neighborhoods, the Asian Mall, and lest we forget still a significant number of Native Americans in this area including the Catawba Reservation just south of Charlotte. Have you been to the Asian new year celebration here? Have you eaten Dim Sum on Sunday morning? Sure we don't have a little Italy, (which BTW came a century after those places were already established) but that doesn't mean there is a wide variation of ethnic places. You just have to be willing to step outside of areas 4 & 5 to see it.

Old 09-13-2009, 06:26 AM

1,039 posts, read 3,003,805 times
Quote:
^Luv, the point is there is more to diversity than just variations of white Europeans. I thought you would have gotten that by now. Accusing me of twisting words because you don't get this I could probably say is getting old, but then again, I realize where this is coming from.

34% of the city is African American due to the history of slavery in this city and there are certainly ethnic neighborhoods and business areas here related to that, I recommend a drive down W. Trade Street beyond I-277 and you will see a thriving business sector that has been there for decades. (my guess is most living in SE Charlotte have never been there)

There are now Hispanic neighborhoods, the Asian Mall, and lest we forget still a significant number of Native Americans in this area including the Catawba Reservation just south of Charlotte. Have you been to the Asian new year celebration here? Have you eaten Dim Sum on Sunday morning? Sure we don't have a little Italy, (which BTW came a century after those places were already established) but that doesn't mean there is a wide variation of ethnic places. You just have to be willing to step outside of areas 4 & 5 to see it.
Is there diversity in Charlotte, yes. Is there a diverse NEIGHBORHOOD like you can find in other cities who's history is DIFFERENT than that of Charlotte, no. *heavy sign*

Old 09-13-2009, 06:27 AM

28,353 posts, read 16,368,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
...because Charlotte was founded and settled by the Scots-Irish there were not a lot of ethnic neighborhoods here - WHICH THERE AREN'T...
She didn't say there weren't ANY ethnic neighborhoods, lumbollo. She said there aren't many, which judging from your post, there aren't.

I'm not sure a reservation really qualifies as a neighborhood. As there are other factors involved as to why they live there, not just the desire to live in/around like peoples. Oh, not sure the Asian Mall counts as a neighborhood, either.

Nice not so subtle dig at SE Charlotte, again. What do you have against that area, anyway?

Old 09-13-2009, 06:47 AM

3,774 posts, read 8,191,456 times
diversity is overrated.

from the looks of it though a lot of you could benefit from some TOLERANCE

might as well change the title of this thread... it's been thoroughly and completely jacked

Last edited by Native_Son; 09-13-2009 at 07:13 AM..

Old 09-13-2009, 10:44 AM

4,222 posts, read 7,891,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagocubs View Post
PS: vindaloo: "Indian" usually refers to those of Native American heritage. "Asian" also includes those from the country of India as it is an Asian nation.
When I refer to people from India, I use the term Indians. When I speak of indigenous people, which I wasn't, I use the term "Native Americans".

Old 09-13-2009, 10:46 AM

4,222 posts, read 7,891,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Native_Son View Post
diversity is overrated.

from the looks of it though a lot of you could benefit from some TOLERANCE

might as well change the title of this thread... it's been thoroughly and completely jacked
Amen to that!

Old 09-13-2009, 11:44 AM

4,010 posts, read 10,206,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hooligan View Post
Nice not so subtle dig at SE Charlotte, again. What do you have against that area, anyway?
What have I said about SE Charlotte that is incorrect? I did ask for someone to tell me what is there beyond endless roads, cul de sac neighborhoods, and generic chain store shopping and eating. So far no takers. Come on. The whole area is centered around a 1970s era shopping mall that has been reclad with all the glory of late 2000s boomtime EIFS (fake stucco) majesty. They will be ripping that off in another 10 years for something else.

Much offense however for me to have pointed this out including numerous posts that I must be deranged for not being more interested in it. If you are into this sort of living condition, then by all means please live in SE Charlotte, I have nothing against you. Some of by best friends live in the place.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte