Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-11-2009, 01:34 PM

182 posts, read 439,902 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lumbollo View Post
It was you who said that North Carolina was just like Ireland. If you are laughing, it's understandable, you can't help it. Your endless personal attacks on many on this forum is indication to me that I should not waste my time in response, however in this case, it only points out that my point continues not to be addressed. When you figure it out, let me know and we can actually discuss it.
Lumbollo, skiptomyloo is always right and will brow beat anyone with a differing opinion because he is not able to let an issue go. Much like Hanity and Rush, you know? Btw, you're absolutely correct in your above statement. Have a great weekend!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-11-2009, 02:29 PM

4,010 posts, read 10,206,729 times
Moderator cut: flaming

Last edited by SunnyKayak; 09-11-2009 at 03:02 PM..

Old 09-11-2009, 02:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by theroc5156 View Post

Your accusation of SE Charlotte being a "cultural wasteland" is pretty offensive. There are plenty of cultures that are represented in SE Charlotte. Anyway, explain to me your definition of diversity.
This is probably close enough. Def: Cultural Wasteland

Of course if you want to explain how SE Charlotte is different with some good examples I will listen. This was done in the context of the OP.

If you are offended by someone else's opinion, especially over this kind of opinion, then I assume you are not in a particularly good mood most of the time. Sorry about that for you.

Old 09-12-2009, 06:02 AM

7,126 posts, read 11,697,656 times
Quote:
This is probably close enough. Def: Cultural Wasteland

Of course if you want to explain how SE Charlotte is different with some good examples I will listen. This was done in the context of the OP.

If you are offended by someone else's opinion, especially over this kind of opinion, then I assume you are not in a particularly good mood most of the time. Sorry about that for you.
Lombullo----wouldn't you think that the "Urban" definition is suspect when in fact their example sites Jersey as being void in arts, culture and diversity?

Secondly, when using this EXACT definition you might as well throw in all parts of Charlotte as what area would meet the standard of the definition?

Seems to me, it's not worth the time discussing the nuances of "cultural wasteland" nabe by nabe if we were to accepy this definition.

Old 09-12-2009, 06:15 AM

28,353 posts, read 16,368,692 times
LOL

Are you honestly using Urban Dictionary as your standard?

So, by that definition, art, music and minorities are the only things that comprise culture?

Not poetry? Not food? Not education or literature?

I think Merriam-Webster sums up culture a little more completely than Urban Dictionary:

4 a : enlightenment and excellence of taste acquired by intellectual and aesthetic training b : acquaintance with and taste in fine arts, humanities, and broad aspects of science as distinguished from vocational and technical skills

Or Dictionary.com:

1. the quality in a person or society that arises from a concern for what is regarded as excellent in arts, letters, manners, scholarly pursuits, etc.

Now, if you'd like to discuss how South Charlotte is comletely devoid of these more widely accepted definitions of culture, I'd be happy to have that discussion.

Old 09-12-2009, 10:29 AM

45,218 posts, read 100,681,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vindaloo View Post
My friends, I could care less about diversity. I love a variety of restaurants and cool ethnic places to go, ie. Chinatowns, Little Italys, etc. A huge percentage of my friends are from other nations that visit me on a regular/ongoing basis. I don't care who lives in my neighborhood just so they don't disturb me, keep their bloody pets in their own yards, and keep up their lawns. I appreciate those that do or don't want a diverse neighborhood. My point is that a neighborhood or city is not a wasteland or in any manner evil or ignorant just because it doesn't happen to be diverse. People can live where the hell they want. To classify a city or area as being snobby, stuffy, or anything negative for this reason is in itself ignorant and/or unaccepting. Anyway, it is Friday. I am about to take a power nap and then head to happy hour. For your information, I don't sit at the computer all day. I spend 90 minutes in the gym first and the next 10 hours on it. LOL! Everyone have a wonderful weekend and remember that there are great things happening in town this weekend, the Greek festival and the BBQ and beer thing downtown. See y'all there.

P.S. I still would suggest that the OP look into University Park for the most diversity. One out of eight families in Charlotte speak a language other than English. That makes it easy to find what you are looking for. Good luck. I bet you got more information that you bargained for. LOL!
Spot on, great post

Old 09-12-2009, 01:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pink caddy View Post
Lombullo----wouldn't you think that the "Urban" definition is suspect when in fact their example sites Jersey as being void in arts, culture and diversity?.....
Seems to me, it's not worth the time discussing the nuances of "cultural wasteland" nabe by nabe if we were to accepy this definition.
I agree the UD definition doesn't adequately describe the bland monotony of SE Charlotte. A part of the city that that offers nothing to the visitor except the highway, cul de sacs, and chain store shopping. Anywhere USA. The only thing missing is the freeway exit. (and they did try to put one there)

So I will certainly go with something that hits closer to the mark.

Old 09-12-2009, 03:21 PM

45,218 posts, read 100,681,934 times
Quote:
I agree the UD definition doesn't adequately describe the bland monotony of SE Charlotte. A part of the city that that offers nothing to the visitor except the highway, cul de sacs, and chain store shopping. Anywhere USA. The only thing missing is the freeway exit. (and they did try to put one there)

So I will certainly go with something that hits closer to the mark.
Am just wondering why you bother to waste your time living someplace you so obviously disdain and consider a "cultural wasteland"?

Have you ever even lived in another city??? Because I can tell you, Charlotte is a beautiful, clean, enjoyable place to live, but especially so when compared to the other places I've lived, and all those I've visited. In fact, there is no city I'd rather live in than Charlotte

Old 09-12-2009, 03:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
Am just wondering why you bother to waste your time living someplace you so obviously disdain and consider a "cultural wasteland"?
Actually I have not lived in SE Charlotte in some time as I find the Lake area to be much more enjoyable and laid back and hugely less conservative. I've also run across this concept that most of the inhabitants of that part of town don't think there is anything else in Charlotte outside of area 4&5 and downtown. Nothing could be further from the truth. Charlotte is a lovely city, I do agree. The OP asked about diversity and I answered the question. No need to get hot about it.

Old 09-12-2009, 06:17 PM

4,222 posts, read 7,891,826 times
Quote:
Actually I have not lived in SE Charlotte in some time as I find the Lake area to be much more enjoyable and laid back and hugely less conservative. I've also run across this concept that most of the inhabitants of that part of town don't think there is anything else in Charlotte outside of area 4&5 and downtown. Nothing could be further from the truth. Charlotte is a lovely city, I do agree. The OP asked about diversity and I answered the question. No need to get hot about it.
Please do not move to the lake area. There are lots of people like me out here. You would not like it. You mentioned earlier that I said that "Ireland was just like North Carolina". I would love for you to show me where I said anything like that. I will wait patiently for your answer. When there was a discussion about national health, I conveyed to you or someone else that comparing national health in the U.S. to Ireland was ridiculous as Ireland and Northern Ireland were small, about the size (population) of North Carolina. l I know. Like most of the world, I have been all over both Ireland and Northern Ireland. I was glad to let you know that Ireland and Northern Ireland are two seperate countries. You were not aware of this. I am not criticizing as most Americans don't consider geography their best subject and I don't want to be banned off of the board.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte