Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-09-2007, 02:39 PM

431 posts, read 1,668,957 times

Advertisements

Prior to purchasing my home in 9/06 I was told my HOA fees were $500 annually.

I was recently sent a bill which reflects a HOA fee of approx $850 due.

I immediately walked across the street to ask the sales agent what he was quoting perspective purchasers with regarding HOA fees. He looked somewhat concerned of my asking, and told me it was brought to his attention within the last month that he was to start telling people $850 for HOA fees. He also concurred that prior to that he was telling all buyers that the fees were $500.

Now I realize we are not speaking of thousands of dollars, but I feel it is substantial enough to raise question with the land owner. Can these guys just raise HOA fees at any time and at any cost to us?

I am in a small development with only 8 homes occupied. There will be 37 homes when all completed. I cant understand how I can be told one price at sale and be charged a considerable more after sale.

Any opinioins are appreciated.

btw....no ammenities exist. Only small common area with a real poor walking trail.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2007, 02:41 PM

also for the 2 1/2 months we resided in 06 they are charging me the elevated rate.

Old 05-09-2007, 02:51 PM

1,384 posts, read 1,914,420 times
Quote:
Can these guys just raise HOA fees at any time and at any cost to us?
Almost $71 a month seems like a lot for sure, especially with no ammenities.

But to answer your question, yes, the HOA can raise the fees at any time, unfortunately. You need to talk to the HOA, not the sales rep and see what is going on.

Also, go over your closing paperwork. Mine has information on what the HOA fee was going to be, and I believe I had to sign off on it.

Old 05-09-2007, 02:54 PM

2,115 posts, read 7,087,349 times
Another reason to be spooked by HOAs but please tell me, what do fees cover when there are no amenities? I'm intrigued. I would also think that you probably signed an agreement at closing which disclosed the fees and whatever covenants you must honor.

SL

Old 05-09-2007, 03:40 PM

476 posts, read 1,576,050 times
I can say personally that would be a real difficulty on our part to have such a large jump per month. No amenities besides, ouch!

Old 05-09-2007, 04:30 PM

No ammenities whatsoever! There is a very small walking trail, maybe 1/4 of a mile through some woods made out of pebbles!

I just looked at the budget they faxed me regarding the HOA Fees.

They claim to maintain the "common areas" which are a grass median which seperates the roadway in front of the model, and the entranceway area....basically grass and shrubs.

$835...Common Area Maintenance
$600...Monthly Water
$260...Monthly Power
$75...Trail Maintenance
$150...Management

...the above are monthly costs, now here are the "periodic" (whatever that means) costs

$5,000.00....re-mulch beds
$1,200.00....seasonal flowers
$300.00....Irrigation repairs
$500.00....Plant replacement
$20.00....Legal
$100.00....lighting replacement

All together they are coming up with a total annual cost of $30,160.00. It sounds absurd to me. They tell me that until 75% of the development is occupied we are pretty much at their mercy and we cannot control the HOA.

37 lots divided by $30,160= approx $815.00 per yr.

Im furious about this, and not sure if there is anything I can do about it other than pay it?????

btw....I cannot find anything in any of my closing records pertaining to HOA fees. But as I said earlier, the sales agent as of today told me he was quoting perspective buyers as recently as 30 days ago with $500 HOA Fees for the year....baffling!

Old 05-09-2007, 04:37 PM

2,267 posts, read 3,298,039 times
One thing I found out is you can get rid of the management company when the development is completed...

Our HOA sends out a booklet with coupon like things you send in with your check, the previous owners confirmed the price of the fee when we looked at the house and then again when we closed.

Normally increases are voted on, evidence given of what has been done with the money collected so far and plans for its use in the future...they by law in Florida have to give a full accounting for the money collected..

As far as amenities, we have a pool with pool house in an enclosed fence, we also have lights and landscaping at the entrance...our fees are about $400 a year due every 3 months. I have lived here since 2001 and that has not been raised.

Old 05-09-2007, 06:11 PM

1,435 posts, read 5,768,687 times
From the information you have provided and based on my experience your dues are extremely high.

Only a real estate attorney would be able to give you advice at this point.

Old 05-09-2007, 07:00 PM

889 posts, read 3,117,633 times
You are being taken for IMO.Thats nutz. Our small community is $250 per year. No pool, club house just 20 or so homes with one road in, one road out. For our street lights, ( i am treasure and pay the bill) i think there is maybe 10 lights at that as i have not counted. Anyway, the bill form Energy United is around $130.00 amonth. I'd asked to see the bills.Who are these people that run it? Us neigbors all do our own, we all live here and we elected the board members .

Old 05-09-2007, 08:43 PM

70 posts, read 212,909 times
If someone offered me 500,000 to live in an HOA, I can't see me taking it.

I just don't see how people stand for it. I understand it's protection against lazy and rude people but what ever happened to shaming a person into taking care of their home....whenever a woman looks out her window and sees another woman working around her home....the cat in her should take over and she'll get out there and do a better job for her own home....

Abandoned vehicles are easily resolved by law enforcement....

The only thing I ever saw in regard to someone letting the neighborhood know he owned his home non HOA was this about 80 year old guy and his wife painted their home Peach with Purple trim...the yard was nice and landscaped, gorgeous....and every time I passed that house I loved it just because they said, skeeerew the white house with white trim...we like peach and purple.

I just don't get HOA's, and people that visit us or my fathers property always come back, they always want to hang around....just because we can use our property within the law, we aren't bound by some HOA adding additional can not do rules.

I don't know if all HOA's are so strict, but everything I've heard about them has made me avoid them like the plague....

Mom's neighborhood is non-HOA and is awesome looking..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
View detailed profiles of: