Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-14-2007, 06:19 PM

905 posts, read 3,454,908 times

Advertisements

WOW, hot topic 4 pages in 8 hours!!! Somebody hit a hot button ; )

CLT drivers do stink. One day I saw a lady driving in the emergency lane passing cars and putting on makeup at the same time. She was driving a Taurus so I figured she was in a company car. I took down her tag and called the phone number to report bad drivers. I thought her manager would like to know about her driving skills!

For the newbies be forewarned Fridays are hell!!! I call them Freaky Fridays, the number of bad drivers are multiplied. Everybody has somewhere to go and in a ridiculous hurry to get there. When I lived in CLT I tried to be off the roads from Noon-7pm for my safety and sanity.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-14-2007, 06:40 PM

620 posts, read 2,119,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
Very simple, Charlotte drivers are bad because all the folks driving our roads now are not really from Charlotte. Charlotte is now made up of more folks from around the northeast and out west than it is of born and raised southerners. Seems to me, folks coming from larger more fast-paced cities are bringing their agressive attitudes with them - giving "Charlotte" a bad name. It hardly seems fair, but that's what we've got to deal with here now.
How is that true if the places these people are coming from rank among the best drivers on the list?

Old 05-14-2007, 06:41 PM

928 posts, read 3,852,506 times
Default Fridays,

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRock View Post
WOW, hot topic 4 pages in 8 hours!!! Somebody hit a hot button ; )

CLT drivers do stink. One day I saw a lady driving in the emergency lane passing cars and putting on makeup at the same time. She was driving a Taurus so I figured she was in a company car. I took down her tag and called the phone number to report bad drivers. I thought her manager would like to know about her driving skills!

For the newbies be forewarned Fridays are hell!!! I call them Freaky Fridays, the number of bad drivers are multiplied. Everybody has somewhere to go and in a ridiculous hurry to get there. When I lived in CLT I tried to be off the roads from Noon-7pm for my safety and sanity.
For me it's thursday afternoons, I drive on the 85, it's the only way I could get home. I work too deep in Charlotte to take side streets and back roads.
I hate the land ending situation. I spend enough time on the highway daily to probably qualify it as a second job. I do know we have alot of bad drivers with vanity plates. SItting in traffic I see all kinds. The Mount Holly Belmont Lane merge is the worse, I throw a thought to my guardian angel that I don't get rear ended with the constant stop and go. I refuse to let people in, so if your driving with out of state plate, tough, you should have gotten over sooner. It's like a game of aggressive driver.

Old 05-14-2007, 06:46 PM

928 posts, read 3,852,506 times
From my name- XNY gives it away.

1st people don't use signals. That is one culture shock to me.
2nd I agree with the post about the parking lots, schools are the worse in the morning. Why do parents drive their kids to school when the state provides buses?
3rd people do not use their horns, so I scream I'm from outta state when i lay on the horn.
4th people don't stop for pedestrians. I fear getting killed if I every walked in Charlotte, cough, cough....and one more
5th is the lane jumping, oh i want to turn left so I will just pull in front of you, and oh, I want to go right so I will stop everyone in the left lane while i wait to change lanes. Just go ahead and turn around people.

And last but not least, I had a woman cut me off a few weeks ago. It was at a flashing yellow light. I just ignored her and vented inside the car. Well at the stop light she kept beeping and I was annoyed. She blew me away.
She apologized and told me she made a bad decision and ran the stop sign.
I thanked her. I may have done the same thing, but I'm not sure. I beleive she was a true southern woman with class.

Xny

Old 05-14-2007, 07:02 PM

1,384 posts, read 1,914,420 times
I, too, can't believe people who about plow over pedestrians, be it uptown or in the Harris Teeter parking lot. That happened to me this weekend uptown.

And I use my horn, as it states in the driver's ed books , to make my presence known. But if you honk at someone in Charlotte they flip you off or could even pull a road rage on you. I don't get it.

Old 05-14-2007, 07:07 PM

889 posts, read 3,117,633 times
Sorry i cant agree that its mostly new people around here. I really think its the opposite, mostly being young drivers here.
I have had more 'young" kids tail me like they were never taught in Drivers Ed how far to stay back. Just today on a country back road i was doing 50 in a 45. I was tailed then passed up like as if i was doing 20 or something.
Comming form Calif. i am just shocked at how terrible the driving is here and all those friggen truckers on 77 are the worst!!!
I was trying to merge one day on 77 and there is no letting you in with those truckers. They swerve in and out of lanes and instead they should be held to only the right hand lane like they do in other states.
If you read the paper yesterday it will also tell you basically most people in this area get off on their speeding tickets, now thats a joke.

Old 05-14-2007, 09:05 PM

70 posts, read 212,909 times
I don't know the origin of all drivers on the road but the answer to your question is.

yes.

Old 05-14-2007, 09:18 PM

435 posts, read 1,815,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kmway View Post
I, too, can't believe people who about plow over pedestrians, be it uptown or in the Harris Teeter parking lot. That happened to me this weekend uptown.
I worked for Harris Teeter while in College (lucky me I worked at the Ballantyne store)....I can tell you people don't care in the parking lot. I had the job to get carts one day. This jerk comes around the corner to go down one of the lanes in his monster SUV & almost hits me. While I'm on my way back to get carts Mr. Cocky Attitude man asks in the most condescending way if I was ok. I responded that I was fine. About 10mins later I was in the break room cooling off (since it was mid summer & hot) & the customer service manager comes into the room to tell me this guy complained about my attitude towards him!! Can you believe that! I promptly told my CSM what happened & she was like, well never mind.

Old 05-14-2007, 09:20 PM

435 posts, read 1,815,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mvn2nc View Post
Just today on a country back road i was doing 50 in a 45. I was tailed then passed up like as if i was doing 20 or something.
Well there's the problem.....you were only doing 5 over.

Old 05-14-2007, 10:06 PM

70 posts, read 212,909 times
I saw the best pedestrian/SUV conflict ever...At Indian Trail Wal-Mart...this gal, about in her 40's went to cross the walk to the store...the SUV came through the walkway and she put her hand up steaming mad....then she pointed at him and pointed to the huge yield sign on the asphalt....but that wasn't the end....she walked up to his door and reamed him out...she said "YOU, NEED TO "YIELD TO ME" and educated him.... He, obviously, protecting his pride called her an ithc-bay as she walked away...but she could care less...I just watched with my kids and they even said "good for her"....I actually get mad at people hauling butt through parking lots too....there is way too much going on in parking lots for people to show off how strong or weak their motor or ego is.....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte