Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-30-2017, 09:31 AM

23,814 posts, read 34,666,340 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheriff of London View Post
A roundabout in the proper location is a godsend. I am not talking about that stupid, useless roundabout on Selwyn Road, but a properly build roundabout at a large intersection. No only do they curtail accidents from those running red lights, but they keep the traffic moving after people understand that those in the roundabout have the right of way. The NCDOT needs to add proper procedure for driving through roundabouts in their study guides and tests. They did not originate in the U.S. I have been using them for decades in the U.K. I love them and hope that they increase around here, just in smart places where we have to wait for excessive periods for red lights to change.

P.S. Nobody will be penalized for disagreeing with me.
They came from Europe. NJDOT dotted that state with them in the 1920s. Yes, they keep the traffic moving, until there is an accident. Then you have gridlock. I've seen that plenty of times.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-30-2017, 10:20 AM

386 posts, read 365,837 times
Returning to the States after several years abroad, having previously lived in multiple states in different regions of the U.S., in multiple countries around the world, etc., here's just one unscientific poll/observation: driving and general courtesy has recently gone way downhill. However, reading some of the preceding messages prompted a few chuckles. For example, Charlotte or NC/SC natives attributing most or all bad driving to newer residents. Similarly, U.S. emigrants from other states similarly expressing unreasonable views on Charlotte or Carolina drivers. In some eyes, it's inexpliciably either ... "we're always good" or "those people are always bad".

Yup, driving patterns vary by different states and within states. Nope, not all midwest, northeast, California, Florida, WV, Pennsylvania, upstate NY, blah blah blah drivers are bad drivers. Indeed, some of the latter have moved to Charlotte. Similarly, an awful lot of pretty piddle poor drivers are witnessed daily with NC-shaped decals, UNC, NC State, ECU, WCU, Ap State, UNCW, this that or the other decals generally suggesting they are natives. Nope, CLT's bad driving isn't all on incoming out-of-staters, nor is it on not so educated rural Carolina bumpkins nor on more educated NC college grads. The majority relatively decent people, but the bad driving's created by a mix of too many bad examples of all of the preceding.

My take is far too many people inexplicably are in far too much of a hurry and way too engulfed in their cell phone calls/texts. Add in a driving-style stew created by mixing many contrasting ingredients (drivers and drivers styles from here and all over), and the end result just tastes really bad. Drive safely, enjoy the long weekend!

Old 07-01-2017, 07:58 AM

15,355 posts, read 12,642,973 times
Drivers IN Charlotte are terrible.

Old 07-01-2017, 08:06 AM

391 posts, read 401,817 times
Roundabouts are a new"ish" concept in many places. Like most other things, there is resistance to change. It is all personal preference whether one supports replacing busy intersections with large roundabouts. To me, it is a matter of being T-boned by some moron running a red light, or putting up with silly ninnies that are afraid to enter the roundabout. In response to above, yes, drivers in Charlotte are terrible. But, they fit into the status quo of American drivers in all cities both foreign and domestic.

Old 07-01-2017, 08:13 AM

342 posts, read 317,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theroc5156 View Post
I agree with most of what you are saying except for #1. I lived in NJ for over 30 years and the one nice thing they did was let people merge. They do tailgate like nobody else though.
I agree. In NJ, drivers know how to properly merge, and let you merge when you need to. They usually use turn signals too.

Old 07-01-2017, 06:16 PM

888 posts, read 804,898 times
https://www.google.com/amp/www.thefiscaltimes.com/2016/05/11/24-Worst-Cities-Road-Rage%3Famp

Old 07-01-2017, 07:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigeru View Post
No shocker; higher populated areas with many roads generally have higher road rage potential. On the other hand, what the heck is up with small town Mount Pleasant, NC; population < 2K?

Old 07-02-2017, 09:49 AM

6,321 posts, read 10,338,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Laowai View Post
No shocker; higher populated areas with many roads generally have higher road rage potential. On the other hand, what the heck is up with small town Mount Pleasant, NC; population < 2K
"Studies" based on Instagram hashtags, I think I've seen it all. Which goes along with why drivers everywhere are bad IMO -- pretty much what you posted earlier:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laowai View Post
My take is far too many people inexplicably are in far too much of a hurry and way too engulfed in their cell phone calls/texts.
I think a lot of the people saying "they actually know how to drive back in _____" probably haven't lived there since smartphones were so widespread. I'm sure most of the same things are happening there now. The other day I saw a girl miss an entire left turn arrow cycle due to texting...

Old 07-02-2017, 11:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoPhils View Post
"Studies" based on Instagram hashtags, I think I've seen it all.
Hah, so there's that reasonable explanation for Mount Pleasant, NC; minimal data points, a dubious ap primarily used by a relatively subset of the total poulation, and the latter group potentially playing with their phones. Thanks for the clarifying insight on the shaky poll data.

Old 07-02-2017, 11:33 AM

1,985 posts, read 2,066,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bailey340 View Post
I agree. In NJ, drivers know how to properly merge, and let you merge when you need to. They usually use turn signals too.
This isn't true.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte